fuel problem EFI EVO

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 09:00 PM
96 Ultra
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel problem EFI EVO

Ok, here's the deal... 96 Ultra Classic EFI

Bike has been running great until after I fueled today. Within 10 miles the bike began cutting out during exceleration under torque and on occasions it would try to cut out when taking off from a stop.

I managed to get home ok and siphoned as much of the gas I could and replaced with gas I had in a gas can from another station for the mowers.

It does idle a little high and without warning the idle went up to 2500 rpms and hold there... I was able to get the bike to idle back down by rev'n it, but it is still idleing around 1200.

I have looked in the owners manual as well as a repair manual and neither mention anything about fuel filters or fuel pumps or fuel/air sensor

Can anyone give me any ideas here..?

Old 09-07-2008, 09:22 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The early HD fuel injection systems had problems (high idle etc ) Don't know how long you had this bike that cutting out problem is not the normal problem with the early injection systems (as far as I know ) Check the vacuum hose to the petcock There was a recall on the diaphragms in the petcock This would shut the bike down for no reason

Old 09-08-2008, 08:38 PM
hamnhog
Cruiser

The fuel pump is inside the gas tank. I assume there is also a filter in there but I would venture to guess it's a bitch to get out. I can't think of a failure mechanism that bad gas could cause either of these problems. There is no air/fuel sensor. only a barometric pressure sensor and and an intake air temp sensor. High idle and surging idle seem more like engine temperature sensor or possibly throttle position sensor. Have you had any other issues recently? Is the bike stock?

Old 09-08-2008, 08:41 PM
hamnhog
Cruiser

Just thought of one possibility. A stuck injector could cause both issues. And man that is bad news. Harley don't sell injectors separate. You have to buy the whole intake assembly to the tune of $620. Good luck, you may need it.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:39 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 860 Likes on 650 Posts

consider review for possible vacuum/air leak in system or engine temp. sensor
what service manual are you looking at? is it the official harley davidson service manual?
it sounds like possibly different issues with the limited information provided:
1-how old was original gas in tank? how much gas did you put in? is bike parked for extended amounts of time? do you keep tank full?
reason = moisture got into gas/gas went bad/if tank is stored empty air gets in and easier for rust to start....basically a gas issue
2-engine temp. sensor in front cylinder, inside center hole ..there is a link on the search feature
3-are all the seals tight and Ok around throttle body?

Old 09-09-2008, 07:42 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 860 Likes on 650 Posts

see this link..a forum member posted.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...erature+sensor

Old 09-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

I had an ETS go out on a road trip. I made it home, but not without problems. My engine light was on also.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:45 AM
96 Ultra
Cruiser

Update......

Saturday I fired the bike up after it sat for a couple weeks and it ran great. Went up the road and down the road a couple miles, didn't cough, hesitate, nothing... I'm thinking that whatever was wrong cleared itself up after I siphoned all the gas out and replaced it with different gas.

Then I went on a ride for about an hour when it started hesitating, coughing, spitting, I'm thinking this is heat related.

A couple new clues...

I did notice that it began acting up when I was making turns, but was somewhat low on fuel (1/4 tank of gas). I filled up and then it just acted up all the time reguardless. Some times one cylinder would feel like lacking power then it would cut out and also noticed a couple times the engine speed held high like the throtle was stuck (dangerous).

This is nuts.... How can a bike run great and then suddenly begin acting like a death trap ?

Old 09-22-2008, 11:13 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been said here ....

Engine Temp Sensor....

Mine went right after I cleaned the throttle body. I was sure I had done something.

When it goes, it seems to run like a stuck choke (like a stuck choke, on a venturi breather). Engine light will light up, runs high RPM, clear up and do it again.

FYI. Take off your lowers if you are going to a Local to have it replaced. Will save you an hour in labor and maybe a dink or two.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:29 PM
96 Ultra
Cruiser

I think I'm just going to take the bike out back and put a couple rounds in the freak'n thing and just buy a boat...

I went to harley today and I was more discouraged after I left than before I went in. The biggest fact is that the egine light does NOT come one when the bike is messing up. The Mech told me if it was any sensor the engine would sent a code of some type and that I was probably waisting my money for the temp sensor.
He is thinking lack of fuel pressure or something in the tank because I'm not getting any type of code.

So before I spend several hundred bucks on a ghost chase, I'm going to attempt to remove the fuel tank and see what I can find.

Quick Reply: fuel problem EFI EVO