EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Michelin tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 03:15 PM
71tradewind
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4Given
Kind of funny... a guy asks if anyone knows anything about Michelin tires and most of the replies are about folks liking their Dunlops, Metzler, Avon and Pirelli tires. Funnier still, is that none of the comparisons were to a Michelin!

Oh and hey Chubby... nice work on the "Detailing Course" website!!!
I only have 2 data points ....Dunlop and Metzlers, and the difference between the 2 was like night and day.When I was searching for new tires I talked to riders and looked at a lot of forums and reviews , including metric forums, and pretty much narrowed my selections based on the general opinions of what riders liked about the different selctions, IE. handling ,wear,rain performance,worm tracks and grated bridges. Then I narrowed it even farther by what type bikes and riding styles the riders were riding. this process took me a few months of research but was well worth it and when I walked in to purchased my set of tires I was sure they were the right ones for ME.I am not opposed to the other brands they just simply didn't stack up to what I was looking for.There is always going to be guys that say they hate or love one brand over another and the system I used weeded those opinions out pretty quick. That said .... it still seems just about anything you put on will be an improvement over the Dunlops. I really didnt like my OEM tires. BTW my buddy swears by Bridgestone.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Merlin
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got almost 10,000 miles on my set of Michelin commanders and they are both still strong. When I changed tires I used the Dyna Beads for balancing. What a SMOOOOOOOTH ride! Much better then the lops.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:47 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+ 2 on the Metzlers...............I'll never go back to dunlop

Old 09-04-2008, 09:16 PM
pistole
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I have owned my 1990 bike from new. The original Dunlops were pretty awful, The Metzelers I tried were the worst tyres I have ever ridden, on any bike
- gr,

- why do you say that the Metzs are bad ?

- can't get Avons here locally though.

cheers

Old 09-05-2008, 04:15 AM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never ridden with metzelers. Now you guys have me thinkin'. I run Dunlops simpley because I have never had a blow-out with them. I have a buddy that rides them right to the cords(He isnt the smartest guy-thinks saving a few bucks is worth it!) and swears by the lops as well. Ever have a blow out with the Metzelers?

Old 09-05-2008, 06:01 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Brettfullthrottle
Ever have a blow out with the Metzelers?
Not to say that it can't happen again, but the only blowout I've ever had on a bike happened a long time ago when I was blissfully ignorant about most motorcycle maintenance, and also broke enough to postpone just about any maintenance that I was actually aware of.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:25 AM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I have only experienced Dunflops and Metzelers. IMO Metzelers are much better handling tires than the Dunflops and they more surefooted also. 8000 miles on the rear and still have tread on it, so mileage is not an issue.

On my pick ups I use nothing but Michelins. Would be interested to hear more actual experience on Michelins on a bike. Come on! Any one using them?

Last edited by MJ; 09-05-2008 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:25 AM
71tradewind
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglide95th
I have only experienced Dunflops and Metzelers. IMO Metzelers are much better handling tires than the Dunflops and they more surefooted also. 8000 miles on the rear and still have tread on it, so mileage is not an issue.

On my pick ups I use nothing but Michelins. Would be interested to hear more actual experience on Michelins on a bike. Come on! Any one using them?
Me Too ! Luv them on my trucks, and would like to hear more actual real world experience about them on bikes.

Last edited by 71tradewind; 09-05-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:58 PM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I also use Michelins on my car, but don't know anyone using them on a bike. Do they have Wide White Walls for bikes?

Old 09-05-2008, 08:44 PM
95hdtlk
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks everybody for all the opinions. I see I should've asked, What's the best kind of oil to run, I would of got as many different opinions, and hardly any answers to my question. I've sold Michelin tires for years on cars and light trucks, but I only used them one time on my pickup. I had good luck with them, but shied away from them because they are higher priced than a lot of other good tires.OK guys, I'll be the guinea pig for all of us,except the guy that had a bad experience with them. I've got a 1995 FXDS Lowrider Convertible. My Dunlop D402 didn't last a year. I ride 7 days a week, with 2 up, 200+ mile rides on weekends. The last Dunlop lasted about 12,000 miles,as did the one before. The Michelin is $10. cheaper than the Dunlop at the dealer. I'm getting ready to pull the back wheel so I can go to the dealer in the morning when they open. I'll be riding before noon. I'll keep everybody posted. If you see a blue Dyna, with a corner missing off the bottom of the windshield, and a guy riding it with a long grey beard coming at ya,wave, its me !

Quick Reply: Michelin tires