EVO All Evo Model Discussion

'98 Road King with 4K miles leaking oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008 | 10:13 AM
upright
|
Advanced
Default '98 Road King with 4K miles leaking oil

Hi folks! I just bought a 1998 Road King Classic FLHRCI with 4K miles. Actually, it had 3K on it when I bought it, but I picked it up in South Carolina and rode it home to KC over the past weekend...956 great miles! When I got it home, I noticed some oil had dripped onto the transmission. A friend said it looks like it's dripping from the rocker box and suggested replacing gaskets.

Here's the deal: I bought this bike from friend who bought it new and took ten years to put 3K miles on it. It sat unridden for the last year until he rode it to the dealer in Greenville last week, where they merely changed the engine oil and sent him out the door. Then I hopped on it and rode it halfway across the country.

So, my question is about gaskets. My buddy suggested replacing just about all of them because they've likely dried and shrunk. Is this something I can do myself with appropriate tools and the manual, or is it best left to the dealer?

Thanks for bearing with my long, first post.

-Craig

Old 08-29-2008 | 06:32 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior

This is no brain trust Yes it it is easy to do the rocker box gaskets It is probably the bottom one which means the rockers have to be taken off. HD has a new gasket (metal) for that bottom box (new as of 10 years ago + or -) Get the manual or an experienced friend and just do it

Old 08-29-2008 | 06:45 PM
upright
|
Advanced

Thanks for the reply. I picked up the manual on the way home from work. I'll probably get over to the dealer and pick up a gasket in the morning.

-Craig

Old 08-29-2008 | 08:54 PM
badinfluence63
Banned

Originally Posted by upright
Hi folks! I just bought a 1998 Road King Classic FLHRCI with 4K miles. Actually, it had 3K on it when I bought it, but I picked it up in South Carolina and rode it home to KC over the past weekend...956 great miles! When I got it home, I noticed some oil had dripped onto the transmission. A friend said it looks like it's dripping from the rocker box and suggested replacing gaskets.

Here's the deal: I bought this bike from friend who bought it new and took ten years to put 3K miles on it. It sat unridden for the last year until he rode it to the dealer in Greenville last week, where they merely changed the engine oil and sent him out the door. Then I hopped on it and rode it halfway across the country.

So, my question is about gaskets. My buddy suggested replacing just about all of them because they've likely dried and shrunk. Is this something I can do myself with appropriate tools and the manual, or is it best left to the dealer?

Thanks for bearing with my long, first post.

-Craig
Congrats and you got yourself a good bike with a great motor...last year of the EVO run. I myself recently purchased a low milage 1998 Ultra (2182miles) w/ sidecar for a bargain. Cherry mint condition. Good luck and run the **** out of her.

Old 08-31-2008 | 06:06 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member

I had exactly the same situation as you. Bought a 98 Road King classic with 2,500 miles on it. The rear rocker box gasket sprayed oil on the top of the transmission. Mine had barely been ridden for 10 years either. Since you have to take the tank off to do the job, do both cylinders. Thats the only trouble i've had with mine.

Old 08-31-2008 | 11:14 AM
upright
|
Advanced

Carl, would recommend I do the job myself? Did you need any special tools?

Any tips are appreciated!
Craig

Old 09-01-2008 | 08:15 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

It's really easy to replace gaskets on the rocker boxes. Replace them, torque down to appropriate specs, and ride that thing. It seems like a waste. A ten year old bike with that little miles almost seems like it was just pushed around out of the way in the original owner's garage. Bikes are made to be ridden, not museum pieces. I'm surprised you didn't have issues with the clutch sticking.

Old 09-01-2008 | 11:35 AM
hamnhog
Cruiser

Originally Posted by upright
Carl, would recommend I do the job myself? Did you need any special tools?

Any tips are appreciated!
Craig
I just pulled the front cylinder head on my '96 Ultra this weekend. Be sure to get new intake seals when you buy your gasket SET for the rocker boxes. The set is about $30 and includes all the rocker box gaskets and seals for both cylinders. Pulling the gas tank is probably the hardest part of the whole job. If the tank's not near empty, get a short piece of 5/16 inch fuel line and put a plug in one end. Pull the cross-over line off one side of the gas tank and stick the plugged fuel line piece over the port to make draining the tank a little less messy. You'll still probably spill some fuel but maybe not nearly as much as draining both sides at once. Read the manual carefully and be sure that both valves are closed on the cylinder you're working on before loosening any bolts inside the rocker box. The manual doesn't mention it but reassemble the lower box assembly (rocker arms and shafts) before putting it back on the head. Pay particular attention to the notch in the rocker arm shaft. Be sure that this notch is oriented to allow the mounting bolt to pass through. I used a piece of 1/4 inch soft drawn copper tubing as a punch to get the rocker arms out of the box. Plan on two hours if it's your first time. Good luck.

Old 09-10-2008 | 01:57 PM
upright
|
Advanced

Thanks for the advice. I bought the rocker box gasket kit from the dealer and I'm planning on doing the job this weekend.

Are the new intake seals in the kit?

Also, should I replace the pushrod o-rings while I've got it apart?

Thanks,
Craig