EVO All Evo Model Discussion

carb problem or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 09:42 AM
mjunk1
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Try checking the angle of the fuel line. I installed a glass filter and it moved the fuel line to a very slight upward bend where it passes between the heads. I thought the "weight" of the fuel in the tank would be enough to push the fuel through it, but no such luck. It coughed and sputtered at anything above 1/4 throttle. Fuel couldn't keep up with the demand. I cut the line a little shorter and got it with a very slight downward angle and everythig is fine.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:19 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

fogcity123,
Here is a link to a Rodneys site that has a link to the S&S instructions for adjusting and jetting your carb. When you go to his site just click in the OEM manual link (upper left corner) and have fun reading all about yer carb. You can go to the S&S site and find this stuff there, of course, but this is easier.
http://rodgregg.com/s_s_docs.htm

Old 08-30-2008, 11:57 AM
fogcity123
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great ideas, guys - many thanks. I'm going to check out all these suggestions later today. Yesterday I think the problem was getting worse after riding home from work - fouled plugs? I'm changing them first, then the fuel line, then open up the bottom of the carb and clean the jets (screw out, blow, screw in, right?) but not before I check my electrical.

When I first got it, it stumbled a bit but ran fine and then the problem started happenning later that day as I was riding for awhile. I'm a bit intimidated by the machine so I was babying it until I got used to the ride and maybe just not opening the throttle enough and fouled the plugs - we'll see.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:53 PM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would try and pop your fuel cap loose when it happens. As said above vent problem at high rpms. As to the color of the plugs when i ran an S&S e carb my plugs were darker than with my current cv setup.

btw mjunk1 i would get rid of the glass filter. I've seen them break and it is not pretty. jmho Kent

Old 08-30-2008, 09:42 PM
fogcity123
Cruiser

So I replaced the plugs and it does run better, but still has the feeling like it's going to cut out going up hill. I also drained the carb bowl and checked the fuel line for cracks - I didn't have the time to remove the bowl and check the main jet.

Here's another theory: I'm wondering if I'm just not giving it enough gas at high speed. This problem only happens in 4th gear when I'm going up an incline. I'm new to S&S carbs but it does seem like there's a noticable "gap" between the first and 2nd circut when accellerating, and I wonder if I'm just not opening it up enough to get pass that gap? Unfortunately, this bike being so new to me and like no other Harley I've had, I can't seem to open it up past 1/4 throttle because I feel like I'm going to fall off the back of the seat. Could the problem be that I'm just being a puss?
I'm going on a long ride Monday and maybe I'll have my confidence up to test out this theory.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:48 AM
hogcruzen
Intermediate

what kind of pipes are you using

Old 08-31-2008, 10:50 AM
fogcity123
Cruiser

Who knows? They're not straight but have a couple bends, but no baffles. If I can ever figure out how to post a pic I will.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:27 AM
fogcity123
Cruiser

I'm wondering if the velocity stack can be part of the problem. On a thread I started in the technical intake forum I'm hearing that they really are hard to tune. Plus, wind does seem to affect the lag for the worse. So, S&S Air Filter set ups - do you like them? Easy out of the box installation?

Old 09-01-2008, 01:01 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior

S&S makes good stuff. If you buy one of their offerings, just follow the instructions and all should go well.
My only suggestion is to use a large air cleaner like an S&S for best performance.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:03 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior

S&S makes good stuff. If you buy one of their offerings, just follow the instructions and all should go well.
My only suggestion is to use a large air cleaner like an S&S for best performance.

I wonder why there is two of these?!! Sorry.

Last edited by megawatt; 09-01-2008 at 03:29 PM.

Quick Reply: carb problem or something else?