EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Slow blinkers on my Bagger

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008 | 10:01 AM
hogdoctor
Tourer

IIRC there was a recall on FLHT ignition switches at least for the early 90's, the ignition switch contacts were melting and losing contact, the recall involved installing the bypass relay and a new ignition switch.. you might consider running your VIN by a dealer to see if the recall applies to your bike or not.

Hogdoctor

Old 09-10-2008 | 03:16 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks. I've actually never thought about checking for potential recalls. I bought both bikes new, so if something was going to break, it probably would have in the past 22 years. I actually helped open the box on mine. I'm not sure I would trust a dealer to work on my bike. I'm kinda particular. It would be interesting to know, though. I'll check the next time I go to the dealership, which isn't very often because I ride an EVO.

Old 09-11-2008 | 08:19 AM
hogdoctor
Tourer

I understand completely, I'm the same way. I uncrated and set up my own bike, before I knew I was going to buy it. I was entirely put off of the evolution platform because the camshaft setup was such a weak spot, so I was in the process of building an FLT with a sportster driveline. The factory released the Twin Cam engine and I was really impressed with all the Evo issues that were addressed with the new platform. I was
assigned to setup the first twin cam bike our dealership received, and by the time I
put the first ten miles on it, I knew I had to own it. No regrets.

Hogdoctor

Old 09-11-2008 | 11:31 AM
Kramer Krazy
Intermediate

My '85 FXEF did the slow turn signals for years. It finally got so slow that sometimes I would lalternately press the button on-off-on-off-on-off to duplicate the rate that I would expect it to flash. I finally got around to cleaning several of the grounds and other contacts, and it worked significantly better, but not as good as I wanted it to.

Eventually, my flasher failed all together and I replaced it with a cheap, round flasher from an auto parts store (HD wanted $20 it). My original one was the rectangular shape, but the holder worked with the round ones, also. The flasher worked terrific! Low rpm while sitting at a stoplight, and it would flash at a reasonable rate. I was happy......until the metal holder wore through the aluminum housing of the flasher and was causing it to ground out. I was having some issues with the dash lights dimming or going off entirely and the flashers not working.....I replaced the flasher and it's working great, again.....

BTW, on the FXEF and other brethren of this model, the flasher is located inside the headlight bucket.