EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Evo Oil problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:33 AM
rescueman
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo Oil problem

I have a 92 Dyna custom and have a problem with the oil blowing out the lower vent hose (over flow).&nbsp\\; I was told by a shop it is because of to much internal pressure in motor.&nbsp\\; I just had my #4 lifter replaced and a key way on either the Scavenger gear or breather gear, but both have been replaced.&nbsp\\; So far this has cost more than I tihnk it should have, does anyone have any ideas what the true problem could be.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-23-2008, 11:38 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Evo Oil problem

well sometimes the check ball lets oil leak back into the crankcase and then when you start it the oil will blow out. one way to check this is run it for about 5 minutes and check the oil level, let it sit for a day or so and check the oil level and see if its gone down. mine will do it if i let it sit for a week or so. the local harley mech said what hes been doing lately with this problem is routing the vent hose up to where the battery is under the seat. said that way the oil wont blow out and as the engine runs it will gradually pull itself back into the system. i havent tried this. i think id try by running the hose up and tie it to something next to the bike to see if oil would come out. theres also a way you can rig up a oil separator with a drain valve on the bottom so you could see when to drain it. i know its a real pain of a problem but its pretty common with one of these old harleys. one mech said he would just carry a rag with him.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,909 Likes on 1,425 Posts

It's not an overflow, it's a breather.&nbsp\\; How much oil?&nbsp\\; How long does it sit between running?&nbsp\\; If you let it sit a few weeks to months, it is relatively "normal" for oil to seep into the crankcase, then overwhelm the scavenger when you start it and blow out the vent hose.&nbsp\\; Some do it more than others.&nbsp\\; Cleaning the ball checkvalve helps.&nbsp\\; If you are talking about some oil coming out after a ride, well, tired rings are a possibility, but they can all do that a little bit too.&nbsp\\; If it's a couple of drops, I wouldn't worry about it.
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-23-2008, 12:49 PM
rescueman
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't&nbsp\\; have an oil tank, got the motor with the oil pan.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;I was freaking out about the check ball not being there till a friend said I didn't have one.&nbsp\\; I lose almost 2 qts in an hour out the hose. Really weird.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,909 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Oh.&nbsp\\; In that case, your scavenger system is not working.&nbsp\\; You need a new oil pump.&nbsp\\; You mention that it was messed with.&nbsp\\; If the pump housing was messed up, that could cause the scavenger to not work.&nbsp\\; Or the gear is sheared off or something else.&nbsp\\; It needs to come apart.
&nbsp\\;