EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Carb elbow repair suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 08:08 PM
mjunk1
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Carb elbow repair suggestions

I recently got a 90 Electra glide and the plastic elbow at the carb for the fuel line was cracked.&nbsp\\; I removed the plastic and attached the line to the remaining stub of a brass fitting, clamped the hose down good.&nbsp\\; IT crimps the line a little now when you put the air filter back on.&nbsp\\; So I got a new elbow at the dealer - all brass this time - and am now trying to figure out how to get the stub out.&nbsp\\; I'm sure others have gone through this too, is there an easy way to extract what is in there? What works good?

Old 06-22-2008, 08:45 PM
flstf93
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Carb elbow repair suggestions

i had the same problem with my fatboy. i have the cv&nbsp\\;carb. i just took a good pair of vice-grips and clamped onto the remaining brass nipple and twisted it back and forth and pulled and it came out. to reinstall the new one i just used a nice big c-clamp and slowely pressed it back in.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:31 PM
jsd245
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had to do the same thing a couple weeks ago. I tried the vise grips but there was no way I was going to get it out with those without damaging the carb. I tapped the inside of the brass stub, found a brass air line that slipped over the outside, put a washer on top and screwed in a bolt. Essentially I made a little puller and it worked great. When putting the brass elbow in I put it in the freezer for a while and took a hot air paint stipper and heated up the carb body&nbsp\\;(I didn't think a torch would be a good idea) I was able to tap the brass fitting right in, no leaks.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:40 AM
mjunk1
Road Captain

Wow, that was a lot of effort.&nbsp\\; I did mine yesterday.&nbsp\\; I tugged good with the vise grips and it came right out.&nbsp\\; When re-installing I just eased it back in by tapping lightly with a hammer.&nbsp\\; No leaks, no problems.&nbsp\\; I would have used the C-clamp to press it in but I only had a 4" one and it wasn't big enough.
&nbsp\\;
On a slightly separate note, I installed a fuel filter while I was in there.&nbsp\\; Just one of those glass ones from Autozone.&nbsp\\; When I did though the fuel line ad a slight upward bend as it went from the tank to the carb.&nbsp\\; Totally screwed up my ride.&nbsp\\; It sputtered and coughed anytime I was barely on the throttle.&nbsp\\; Gas just wasn't flowing right because of the upward slope.&nbsp\\; Took someline out and made sure gravity could do its thing, and the problem was solved.&nbsp\\; I would have thought the pressure of all th efuel in the tank would have been enough to push the gas through that very slight upward curve.&nbsp\\; But it didn't.&nbsp\\; So be careful if you put a filter in.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:12 PM
94 ultra
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

ORIGINAL: mjunk1

Wow, that was a lot of effort.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I did mine yesterday.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I tugged good with the vise grips and it came right out.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; When re-installing I just eased it back in by tapping lightly with a hammer.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; No leaks, no problems.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I would have used the C-clamp to press it in but I only had a 4" one and it wasn't big enough.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
On a slightly separate note, I installed a fuel filter while I was in there.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Just one of those glass ones from Autozone.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; When I did though the fuel line ad a slight upward bend as it went from the tank to the carb.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Totally screwed up my ride.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; It sputtered and coughed anytime I was barely on the throttle.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Gas just wasn't flowing right because of the upward slope.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Took someline out and made sure gravity could do its thing, and the problem was solved.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I would have thought the pressure of all th efuel in the tank would have been enough to push the gas through that very slight upward curve.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; But it didn't.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; So be careful if you put a filter in.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
that is interesting as hell
&nbsp\\;
I was just gonna post a thread about sputtering&nbsp\\; and popng while engine is cold
&nbsp\\;
i just did the elbow replacement on my 94 electra glide 2 days ago
and used same fuel line
no filter
and also put a new diaphram and o ring in the accelerator pump
&nbsp\\;
bike is now sputtering and popping
till it gets warmed up
which takes 5 - 10 minutes
cold blooded beoch
&nbsp\\;
but&nbsp\\; i wonder if the fuel line slope is my problem
you wouldnt think so
&nbsp\\;
Ill give it a look
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-25-2008, 10:49 PM
mjunk1
Road Captain

Where'd you get the carb parts?&nbsp\\; I've been looking around for a carb rebuild kit, but haven't happen on one yet.&nbsp\\; Just got back from a 200 mile trip and it ran great, though, so maybe I better not mess with the carb at all!