EVO All Evo Model Discussion

FXR owners (Turn Signal HELP???)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Reckless Kelly
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXR owners (Turn Signal HELP???)

Hello all -

I've got turn signal problems on my 1991 FXRS.&nbsp\\; I just installed new "harley" turn signals on the front of my bike.&nbsp\\; They replaced a pair of aftermarket ones that had (2) wires.........(1-Red &amp\\; 1-Black).&nbsp\\; The harley turn signals had a Black Wire (which I assumed was ground)...........a Purple Wire (which I assumed was the "hot" for turn signals.....................and a Blue Wire (which I assumed was for running lights).&nbsp\\; I attached the "New Black Wire" to the "Old Black Wire".&nbsp\\; I attached the "New Purple Wire" to the "Old Red Wire"...............and I just cut and taped the "New Blue Wire."

When I first start my bike up................the lights are constantly "on" (as running lights) and the turn signals work just fine.&nbsp\\; Then after about a minute or so, the front bulbs go "out" and the rear turn signals stay on (but they get brighter and the turn signals don't work).&nbsp\\; If I turn the bike off for a minute or so...............and then turn it back on...............everything works fine again............until a minute later.................and then the process repeats.

Is it possible that my bike is not meant to run front running lights.......................and the new ones being constantly "on" is overheating them?

My wiring diagram labels the stock lights as "Directional and Running Lamps."

The diagram shows (2) wires (both Black) running from the stock turn signals.&nbsp\\; Only difference between the two is that one has "Silver Wire" and one has "Copper Wire."

Thanks for the help -

Mark

P.S.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Here's a link to my post under electrical.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; You can see the wiring diagram here:&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; https://www.hdforums.com/m_3469316/tm.htm

Old 06-09-2008, 08:59 PM
89 FXRS
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: FXR owners (Turn Signal HELP???)

First check your voltage. If you are putting out more than 13.2 to 14 volts you have a regulator problem. The part about your light getting brighter makes me a little concerned.
&nbsp\\;
Second replace&nbsp\\; your blinkers located in the headlight housing. That thing plays tricks.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Reckless Kelly
Advanced

I will check the voltage tomorrow.&nbsp\\; I'm not sure I follow you on "replacing the blinkers in the headlight housing."&nbsp\\; What do you mean?
&nbsp\\;
Thanks a bunch -
&nbsp\\;
Mark

Old 06-10-2008, 04:39 AM
89 FXRS
Cruiser

Sorry for the mind fart. I&nbsp\\;could not&nbsp\\;remember its name.
&nbsp\\;
Replace your flasher. Located in your headlight assembly.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On my 90 FXR they also functioned running lights so they're supposed to be on.&nbsp\\; The fronts and rears are different though.&nbsp\\; I seem to remember when I wanted my 2-wire rear signals to be running lights + brake lights I had to replace them with fronts in order to get the extra wires I needed.&nbsp\\; I only mention that to point out that the front signals are different than the rears.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:56 PM
89 FXRS
Cruiser

You are right about the lights staying on. To me that is a mistake, not to change the subject and sorry for doing it.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;The first day I bought my FXRS in 89&nbsp\\;I pulled the ignition switch and cut the jumper wire that keeps the lights on. When low on battery you will appreciate the ability to turn the lights off when trying to start the bike.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Reckless Kelly
Advanced

Thanks for all the input so far guys.&nbsp\\; This thing is a real PITA!&nbsp\\; I'm gonna check voltage as well as reinstall the old signals to see if they still function correctly.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I'll be gettin' back to ya.
&nbsp\\;
Mark

Old 06-11-2008, 11:38 PM
Reckless Kelly
Advanced

Ok..........so I just detached the left turn signal on my bike.&nbsp\\; To recap.............the new signals I put on are stock harley T/S (front) with (3) wires.........purple, blue, black.&nbsp\\; My bike had aftermarket front T/S on it that I replaced............but they only had (2) wires....black and red.&nbsp\\; I had connected the new Purple Wire to the old Red wire...................and the New Black wire to the Old Black............and just cut and taped the New Blue Wire off.
&nbsp\\;
I checked my voltage on my left signal wires (1-black &amp\\; 1-red).&nbsp\\; When I hooked up my meter with Black Volt Meter wire -to- Black T/S wire..................and Red -to- Red..............I got a negative reading.
&nbsp\\;
When I hooked up my Black Volt Meter Wire -to- Red T/S wire...............and Red Volt Meter Wire -to- Black T/S wire.................I got a steady reading of 11V.
&nbsp\\;
So................I thought that the original owner could have reversed the wires on accident................reversed polarity???
&nbsp\\;
So I switched the wires leading to my NEW T/S.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
So then I had New Purple Wire -to- Black ...................and New Black Wire -to- Red.................New Blue wire still clipped.
&nbsp\\;
Same thing happens.&nbsp\\; They worked fine for a minute and then shut off.
&nbsp\\;
So I then reinstalled my old turn signal (on the left side only) and tried it.&nbsp\\; It worked fine and then shut off.............although I think that they stayed on quite a bit longer.&nbsp\\; I'm thinking this is because the old T/S are only single filament and don't pull as much juice.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I then reversed the wires on the Old T/S .......................so I had Black -to- Red .................and Red -to-black......................same thing happened.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Any thoughts?
&nbsp\\;
P.S.&nbsp\\; This was confusing to type................so I can only imagine how confusing it is to read!

Old 06-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Reckless Kelly
Advanced

Some more thoughts..................just in case anyone is actually reading these.&nbsp\\; I've noticed that my rear turn signals stay on as running lights all the time.&nbsp\\; They are aftermarket lights that were on when I bought the bike.&nbsp\\; I'm thinking that this may be the problem?&nbsp\\; Maybe too much juice is being used to run the rear turn signals as running lights...........and causing the new front ones to overheat and shut off?
&nbsp\\;
Another thing I'm wondering is.............how can the new turn signals I put on the front be working as running lights if I have only connected the (2) wires (purple and black)???
&nbsp\\;
The blue is supposed to be the running light wire.............and it is just cut short and taped?
&nbsp\\;
I have a 'Badlands' turn signal module on the bike....................but I always assumed that it was a module that made the lights "self cancelling."
&nbsp\\;
Any help is greatly appreciated.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks -
&nbsp\\;
Mark

Old 06-13-2008, 02:08 PM
96 Wide Glide
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried the blue and purple together conected to the bike's red?

Quick Reply: FXR owners (Turn Signal HELP???)