EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Battery Tender

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:59 PM
marecycling
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Tender

Just registered my "new to me" 1996 FLSTF, low miler. Took first ride today, was qute thrilled, as this is my first big twin. My question is regarding the charging circuit. Battery was fully charged upon leaving for my ride, showing green light(fully charged)on Battery Tender. Upon returning home, parked and connected Battery Tender, and it has been on red(charging) for four hours. Is this normal, or do I have some issues in the charging circuit?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:14 PM
85FXSB
Intermediate
Default RE: Battery Tender

Hello marecycling,

It would probably be normal for the tender to come on red at first for diagnostics of the batery, but should go off in a minute or two. since it is still charging, their definately ( sorry my spelling sucks ) is more drain on the battery than the charging circuit can restore.

This could be as simple as a bad connection to the battery? bad ground " very common"? regulator going bad? even a bad cell in the battery itself?

wish i could help more, but there are too many varriables...... start simple and go from there.
good luck...

p.s.
please don't let this hinder or upset you on your first big twin[8D]. it is probably something simple , but the most expensive thing it could be is the stator or the battery itself.
a

Odyssey PC925 Drycell
is a very dependable and STRONG battery to get. most will last 8 to 12 years. great bang for the buck.

John

Old 05-01-2008, 02:32 AM
flstf93
Advanced

don't worry about it, worst case sinario. it is just a **** battery

Old 05-01-2008, 07:00 AM
89 FXRS
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How long was your ride. It takes about 8 miles of riding to charge yor battery to full after using it to start you ride.

A test that I use to make sure that I am charging is to look at my headlight while idling. Then goose my motor, if the light goes a little brighter after the gooseI know that I am charging ok.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

How old is the battery? They only last about 3 years.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,898 Likes on 1,423 Posts

Why did you put it on the tender right after you got home? Usually, you only do that if you are not going to ride it for a while.

Next, is it charging? Put a digital volt meter across the battery. Read voltage. Start bike. Read voltage. More? You're OK. Less? Need to fix that.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:08 PM
gigiflip
Advanced

Mare,

get a multimeter and test the battery voltage with the motor off. You should get between 11 and 12 volts at the battery without the motor running. Start the bike and test it again. You should get somewhere in the order of 14 volts at the battery. Any less and there is probably a problem with the charging system.
I would rule out a dead cell in the battery because if you had this then the bike simply would not start - it could still show the necessary voltage at rest but as soon as you put a load on the battery (ie, start the bike) then the voltage would drop right down and nothing would happen. If this is happening to you, however, then you probably have a dead cell. Check it using the method I described above or, if you have the type of battery where you can top up the fluids through removable caps, then take the caps off and as you are trying to start the bike look in the cap holes. If you see bubbles rising from one of the plates then this plate is buggered and you need to replace the battery.
As someone mentioned earlier it generally takes about 15 minutes of riding to fully charge a battery using the bikes charging system for each start. If you have started the bike numerous times then it could take more time to charge. To my way of thinking, however, 4 hours seems excessively long but you just never know with these bikes.
Perform the test above and then get back to us.

Cheers and good luck.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:58 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Something simple Check the plug from the stator to the voltage regulator Pull it out look at the prongs if not burnt plug it back in

Old 05-01-2008, 07:30 PM
madcritter
Road Warrior

Like sqdealgeorgesaid check the plug from stator to volt reg, I don't really ever have that problem I use a solar battery charger. But that was the one I did have.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:17 PM
89 FXRS
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: gigiflip

Mare,

get a multimeter and test the battery voltage with the motor off. You should get between 11 and 12 volts at the battery without the motor running. Start the bike and test it again. You should get somewhere in the order of 14 volts at the battery. Any less and there is probably a problem with the charging system.
I would rule out a dead cell in the battery because if you had this then the bike simply would not start - it could still show the necessary voltage at rest but as soon as you put a load on the battery (ie, start the bike) then the voltage would drop right down and nothing would happen. If this is happening to you, however, then you probably have a dead cell. Check it using the method I described above or, if you have the type of battery where you can top up the fluids through removable caps, then take the caps off and as you are trying to start the bike look in the cap holes. If you see bubbles rising from one of the plates then this plate is buggered and you need to replace the battery.
As someone mentioned earlier it generally takes about 15 minutes of riding to fully charge a battery using the bikes charging system for each start. If you have started the bike numerous times then it could take more time to charge. To my way of thinking, however, 4 hours seems excessively long but you just never know with these bikes.
Perform the test above and then get back to us.

Cheers and good luck.
Each cell battery puts out 2.2 volts. A 12v battery is really a 13.2 volt battery not 11-12 volts. That would be a bad 12v battery.

As far as looking in the cells as you start the bike. Try this only if you are not afraid of going blind. A freind of mine did this excatly as you are saying and the battery blew up in his face. His sight is not completly back yet and this was 10 years ago.

Any time you work with a battery wear safety glasses and do not look in the cells when starting the car or bike..

Two years ago I was out riding I pulled over for a short stopand my battery blew up when I hit the starter. For no apperant reason. It sounded like a gun fired. The sides of my battery were blown out. I had acid all over.

Your battery is a dangerous piece on your bike handle it with respect. Batteries blow up all the time.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender