Which Cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:44 PM
eddieflyer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Cam

1999 NT
I'm planning to add a few extra ponies to my 99 NT, I was thinking ev27 cam but was wondering if you guys had any other recommendations for cams, SE, S&S??? Thanks

Old 04-29-2008, 10:49 PM
eddieflyer
Intermediate
Default RE: Which Cam

does the S&S 561 compare to the ev27?

Old 04-30-2008, 08:46 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,259 Likes on 22,615 Posts

I have a Vthunder 3010 cam in mine, and it's alright, but it is primarily for the low and some what mid range end and not any where else. I've heard that the Woods W6 is a strong puller throughout the power band, and that will be what I will be going with next year.

I think that the cam is only part of it though. I think that you have to have it all, and by that I mean, you have to have everything working synergistically with each other, your exhaust, coil, ignition, carb, cam, and probably your best bet would be to do your heads. This is where you get the most bang for your buck. However, this is also about the most costliest thing to do too.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:00 AM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,295 Likes on 1,405 Posts

The EV27 is a great cam especialy with a little head work and a bump in compression.
What you want is the right cam for whatever other mods you have planned so it's a little hard to tell without knowing the other stuff what would be best for you.
I can tell you that my old FXR ran like a scalded dog with the 27 cam matched up with Baisley street ported heads and SE 10:1 pistons .010 over.
It used a rejetted stock CV carb,SE ign module and cycle shack staggered dual glass packs.
Nothing to fancy but it ran great and was dead nuts reliable.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:33 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

I already had a CV carb and Spyke ignition on my 89 Ultra. Each gave noticable performance increases when installed. Over the winter I got the Wood 6, along with Wood jets and needles for the CV. Got new lifters with adjustable push rods, and had the heads shaved .060 for a slight compression increase. Unbelievable improvement. It now pulls smoothly from 2000 on up; it's like a different bike. My mechanic insisted the Wood 6 would be a better choice than the EV27, which is what I was originally planning on, and I'm glad he did. If you're thinking EV27, look into the Wood 6.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,295 Likes on 1,405 Posts

ORIGINAL: rivercityslim

I already had a CV carb and Spyke ignition on my 89 Ultra. Each gave noticable performance increases when installed. Over the winter I got the Wood 6, along with Wood jets and needles for the CV. Got new lifters with adjustable push rods, and had the heads shaved .060 for a slight compression increase. Unbelievable improvement. It now pulls smoothly from 2000 on up; it's like a different bike. My mechanic insisted the Wood 6 would be a better choice than the EV27, which is what I was originally planning on, and I'm glad he did. If you're thinking EV27, look into the Wood 6.
I think the W6 might be better in a heavy bagger,either would do in the NT I would think.

Hey slim,I had an '89 Ultra exactly like that one color and all.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:16 PM
eddieflyer
Intermediate

How does a S&S 561 cam compare to the EV27 or Wood 6? What would be comparable from SE?? Thanks

Old 05-01-2008, 03:22 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,259 Likes on 22,615 Posts

Actually, according to my info the fxr run best with an Andrrews EV 3 in it.
Softails do very well with the ev 27.

Here is your cam comparisons.....

http://www.bigboyzcycles.com/calculators.htm

Old 05-01-2008, 05:32 PM
BB Sue
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, but you still want to match components - the 27 cam (which I have) will make a dif, but without the other stuff people have mentioned (carb, pipes, headwork, etc.) it's a minor geegaw.

OK... I got an EV27, Mikuni42, V&H pipes, and branch heads on the 91 FLT and it'll run like a scalded dogacross the tundraand roar like the lion chasing it... WITH the touring crapola on it and a worn motor (being remedied as we type). Sure, it wasn't cheap, but was it worth it? Mmmm... we think so... I wouldn't go back to stock.

Sure, a cam is a couple hundred VS a few thousand for the whole ball of yarn, but what are you really trying to do, a minor bump or a decent boost?

THAT, my dear, is the question!!

Sus

Old 05-01-2008, 06:03 PM
eddieflyer
Intermediate

The cam is not the only thing being done, though I'm still in the planning stages I'm thinking a new cam, lifters, and adjustable pushrods. Plain the heads down a bit to increaes compression, port and polish, valve job, new ignition(hi-4 or SE) and I already have the exhaust.Would a ev27 be the one to go with or a ev31? I'm left on my own to find the combination that works best and get the parts. The guy that will be doing the work just wants to do that..the work.Great mechanicandonly $20 hour cash, but he doesn't like to get into the figuring outof combinations for each bike. Heoffers advice but in the end you bring it...he builds it. He wants me to bring him everything and he'll install it. Thanks for all the help

Quick Reply: Which Cam