EVO All Evo Model Discussion

misses under hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:30 PM
murf1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default misses under hard acceleration

I just replaced the inner cam bearing on my 98 ultra, had issues with the lifter ticking but got it calmed down to where I can live with it. Bike is fuel injected, Se air cleaner, Rhinehart True Duals, Andrews EV27 cam,adjustable push rods and has a RevTech DFO, once I got the lifters adjusted, it ran real good, about as strong as I would have expected, No issues with starting or missing, went out today and when I accelerate hard it misses / pops through the exhaust twice then takes off. I tried adjusting the DFO sereral times, never made a change, pulled plugs and they were black, I took the DFO off to verify if that wasthe problem, still the same thing. If I get on it hard and stay on through all the gears it never misses a beatand pulls real nice, roll on the throttle slow aand it doesn't miss, just when you grab the throttle hard when at cruising speed. It doesnt start worth a damn now either, have to grab the throttle some times, and the gas mileage sucks. its fairly cool now 40 - 45, dont know how much that would affect it. Any suggestions ???

Old 04-16-2008, 12:47 AM
cowkiller
Cruiser
Default RE: misses under hard acceleration

My 97 is injected also It was burbling when it was cooler 35-40 degrees. the bike think it needs choke.My plugs were black. I leaned my pcIII out throughout the midrange. it runs alot better now. I also filled the hole on the front cylinder valve cover with aluminum foil. it sounds stupid but it prevents airflow around that sensor it also helps. I rode the bike last saturday it was a freaky 85 degrees the bike ran much better. Gas mileage is going to suck in cooler weather unless you lean it out.
I had an ev-27 cam installed in mine I had a sensor light I ask the indy what the light code was and he said it was the crank sensor. when the bike dies on starting and the crank rolls back just a hair it sets off that sensor. my light stayed off for 2 days I ignore it now.
I hope this helps

Old 04-16-2008, 03:37 AM
Ribcracker
Tourer

Cant be definate on these as I dont run inj it def sound like its running rich and isnt sensing the vacum drop when you snap the throttle open.

I asume you have had the fuel map adjusted for the new cams and so on? Also make sure the vacum pipe is seated as it might be the bike not sensing the vacum drop thathappens when you snapthrottle open so its not advancing the ignition at the right time. One other thing to check is if your plugs are sooted up try a clean set and check your plug leads. Might just be the plugs breaking down when you really put them under load.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

misses? I was looking for young ladies....

Old 04-17-2008, 02:51 PM
murf1
Cruiser

Problem kept getting worse to the point where bike didn't want to start, I pulled the DFO off, bike started right up, so now have to figure out what to do for the fuel managment, go with another DFO, V&H doesnt make a fuel pack for it, Dyno Jet doesn't have a down load for Rhinehart TD's, SE Air Cleaner and a EV27 cam, so I guess its between the DFO and Harley Download . Do the Harley Down loads actually do anything, I've heard alot of people say they still run too lean.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:28 AM
Ribcracker
Tourer

So taking the unit out of the loop has identified the DFO to be at fault. How olds the DFO? Might be just the fact that its gone faulty or maybe a bad conection ? Did you tryadjusting any of the settings to see if it made a difference or maybe the unit got spiked ?

Old 04-18-2008, 10:21 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

ORIGINAL: murf1

Any suggestions ???
Do you have someone local who can set it up for you on a dyno? You have quite a few modifications there that might be arguing with each other!