EVO All Evo Model Discussion

torque cones / power cones?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008 | 03:45 AM
94Dan69
|
Cruiser
Default torque cones / power cones?

Any one running these on a mild build 80 cu Evo? I put a set in this spring after some mild mods and am wondering if anyone else has and what their impressions are? I think I will be tuning the bike with them and then removing them to see if I can tell a difference, I really don't like what they have done to the sound that I worked so hard to get last year.

Old 04-04-2008 | 04:26 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Default RE: torque cones / power cones?

The exhausts system in my sig photo are Kromewerks ARII's. They come from the factory with AR cones welded in and removeable baffles. You can also see the current mods to my 80" engine. I removed the baffles and changed the carb jetting from a 29.5 intermediate to a 31 and a 70 main to a 72. The bike likes the changes and you can feel the difference in the seat of your pants. We were unable to get the baffles back in to try it that way, so I was kind of stuck with the setup.

I agree with you about the sound specially on decelleration. The change however, did make more power and it is sort of like having a stepped drag pipe that works. I'll be installing an 85" kit later on this month and have a set of Python III's waiting in the wings. After break in, the dyno will tell us which system works the best. Good luck with your choice, but I've installed these for customers without any complaints. In some cases I would advise not to use them, but the engine needs some back pressure and the AR cones make that happen.

Old 04-04-2008 | 06:46 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

I had put em' in mine when I was runnin' the samson big guns open drag pipes and they made them send "tinniy". For me what worked out the best was buying those Thundermonster baffles of which were barely baffles to begin wtih, but man with those things installed, of which you have to take off your pipes, drill a hole on each pipe on the back side and use a mushroom type of bolt on them to hold them in the bike ran like nobody's business, and the sound was awesome. Was one of the best moves I made at the time. If I was to go back to open drags again, this is how I would do it. Personally wouldn't waste my money on cones. Good luck!!

Old 04-04-2008 | 07:55 AM
Diavolo
Banned

Hey guys PLEASE post your results with and without torque cones. I'd like to see the difference.

I run torque cones on my pipes, but I have 2 1/4" Big Growls. Proably overkill for my bike, but the sound is awesome! I also have an Andrews cam and Screamin' Eagle heads. So Iprobably needed a bigger pipe. Not 2 1/4" big, but still like I said, it sounds awesome.

Old 04-04-2008 | 11:21 AM
gargoyle
Banned

I'm finishing rebuilding my 94 bagger it had some kind cones in the drag pipes on her thing is my pipes start out as 1 3/4 in then step up to 2 in the cones neck down to 1 1/4 in had to be choking her to death, and the slugs and heads had a lot of carbon on them. so i left em out but couldn't tell you what the differnce will be sence i changed the cam. i know the pipes are a lot louder now.

Old 04-04-2008 | 08:27 PM
cosmo glider
Stellar HDF Member

Diavolo, similar to what I'm running. Porker's 2.25" pipes with 1.75"perf. baffle wrapped with fiberglass andthe torque (ar) valves. EV27 cam, stock heads. Not REAL loud until you twist the cap, definitely not tinnie. I'd like to see the performancedifferences with/withoutalso.

Might take the cones out next time the pipes are off and give it a seat-of-the-pants run.

Old 04-05-2008 | 04:21 AM
94Dan69
|
Cruiser

Guy's the pipes I'm running are cycle shack 2" they are 1.75 for the first 2" or so the they step up to 2 I built my own baffles last year ( 3 actually ) that consist of a 1/4 neckdown with 64 1/2 holes and then wrapped with fiberglass, not obnoxiously loud but loud and when I let of to shift I get that no baffle bark. I think I have changed my mind though and am going to remove the cones, tune the bike and then reinstall them to see if I can tell a difference. Dont think I will be dynoing it as two years ago when I dynoed before bike week I ended up changing every thing while I was in Florida ie jets and timing.
I'll post my seat of the pants results asap.

Old 04-06-2008 | 06:15 AM
94Dan69
|
Cruiser

Well I haven't done any tuning yet but I did take it for a ride yesterday after removing the cones and I can definetly tell a difference in the low end power I need to put a few more miles on it before I can really get down to tuning.

Old 06-07-2008 | 07:56 AM
Dynagirl03
Stage I

I recently removed my baffles on my 2003 Anniversary Dyna Glide and was wondering if I should/need to add power cones to my exhaust. I was told that if you change your exhaust, that you need to recalibrate your engine (or something to that effect). heard it could be hard on the valves. It sounds awesome now and seems to have more power, but I want to make sure that my baby is running the best it can. Thanks for your help.

Old 06-07-2008 | 08:24 AM
graultytc88
Tourer

What's the word 94dan? Your last post said you felt a difference without the cones at low rpm's.
Was the difference better or worse?
Have you tuned without them yet?

Quick Reply: torque cones / power cones?