EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Low voltage on gauge

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 09:49 PM
93 Bagger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low voltage on gauge

I had a bad day today. 1st I had to drive my bagger through a combo of 4 inches of snow and 2 inches of mud for about 100 yards. Bad enough right, I didn't dump it ot even get it that dirty but parked it for a couple hours. Did some stuff, came back and started it before remembering that I had to go back and get something from the house 200 yards away. No problem and left it idleing with the enricher on full. Came back and thought damn....that's running rich! The moment I pushed in the chocke I knew I had fouled the plugs!

Long story short, I found a spark plug wrench and both plugs were a black mess! A short trip to a local hick town hardware store I was back in business with 2 fresh plugs. Started right up and ran like a champ until about 50 miles later when I noticed the voltage meter was dropped from 13 volts down to 10.5! The auxillary lights got shut off as soon as I saw that and I held my breath for the next 20 miles. Things ran OK, but I knew I was screwed the moment I shut the motor down and I was not wrong.

The previous owner told me this might happen if the plug going into the regulator or whatever that is down by the oil filter came unplugged. He even had a dab of silicone on it when I bought it, but that has since let loose during an oil change. I changed the oil a while back during storage and that same plug may have been dislodged.

My question is this....does this sound like the plug let loose, or the battery is crap (4-2002 battery), or something in the charging system. I have it back on a 1 amp charger and will look at it closer Saturday. Does the volt meter read the current state of the battery, or the charge that it is recieving?

A bit long winded but I wanted to be clear. What cha think??

Old 04-04-2008, 01:17 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,815 Likes on 1,177 Posts
Default RE: Low voltage on gauge

The volt guage will read the charging voltage when it's running and only the battery voltage when it's not running. Keep in mind, with the ign, lights on with the engine stopped, the tiny wiring on these bikes will not carry the voltage well and the meter will read much lower than the battery actually is.

But it does sound like you have a charging problem.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

First, you should have a small spring clip that rests on top of the stator plug to keep it from coming loose. If that connection gets loose, it will fry the connectors. Pull it and check if the rubber is charred and hard. Don't ask me how I know.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,909 Likes on 1,425 Posts

The volt meter in the dash is good for a general indication of the state of the charging system. As t150vej says, it does not read the voltage at the battery. The problem is that the voltmeter is connected to the dash and not to the battery, and there are several connections and a load between the battery and the dash. This will cause the meter to show that the voltage is actually lower than what you actually have at the battery. Of course, the voltage at the battery is the important one to know, because that's going to tell you if the system is charging or not. The main thing is that you should keep an eye on the voltmeter and look for changes: 10v or 18V when it always read 11.8-15V before would mean you have a problem. I've measured less than 12v on the guage and 14V at the battery (a normal working system). The difference was due to the resistance in the circuit and the load on the wire going to the dash that supplies the headlight, stereo, ignition, etc.

So, in your case, 93, you have a problem. First, yeah, check the plug. You rode through snow and mud. Maybe some water got into the plug and shorted out your stator. Maybe the plug came loose. Regardless, park it and fix it. If you are not comfortable diagnosing electrical problems, get some help.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:19 PM
93 Bagger
Cruiser

I have the battery charged and the bike started this AM. I will pull the plug and give it a good look over in the AM before I think of taking it any where. I did not notice any small spring clip on that plug. I am guessing that it is missing. I will report what I see tomorrow. Thanks for the replies!

Old 04-05-2008, 01:22 PM
93 Bagger
Cruiser

I washed the bike up today and didn't have all that much sand under it at all. I pulled the stator plug and see that the lower connector on the plug started to char a little (but not even close to what Beemervet's did thankfully). I am pretty certain that if I clean it up real good and get a spring clip on it, all will be fine. I must have bumped it while changing the oil this last Winter during storage.

I will look in my manual and see if I can find a picture of the clip. Anyone got one laying around?

Old 04-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Tbird
Novice

I also have a 93 electraglide and found that these plugs like to work their way loose. You can pick the clips for these plugs up pretty cheap at your local harley dealer (just make sure you get the right one for your make/year). From the picture it does look like yours is missing.
Also the fit on these plugs will start to get sloppy due to wear on the prongs (male & female) due to vibration. I took a small punch and drove it into the small hole at the end of the male prongs to open them up alittle bit to make the fit tighter, that worked like a champ and I haven't had the plug come loose since. (just a thought)

Old 04-06-2008, 01:28 PM
93 Bagger
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Tbird

I also have a 93 electraglide and found that these plugs like to work their way loose. You can pick the clips for these plugs up pretty cheap at your local harley dealer (just make sure you get the right one for your make/year). From the picture it does look like yours is missing.
Also the fit on these plugs will start to get sloppy due to wear on the prongs (male & female) due to vibration. I took a small punch and drove it into the small hole at the end of the male prongs to open them up alittle bit to make the fit tighter, that worked like a champ and I haven't had the plug come loose since. (just a thought)
I like the idea of making the fit tighter.I also have piece coming from t150vej to hold the plug in place. I will post again when I get it all together. Thanks for all of the input!

Old 04-07-2008, 06:25 AM
bigtone
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is what I did when I started to get a collection of old regulators with pins that were burnt off. Grab an old extension cord plug, 3 prong type. Yank out the ground, use a dremel to split it so you can crimp the wire from the regulator to the back end. Bend it 90 degrees. Now replace the burnt pins in the plug with 2 of these. Perfect diameter to make a nice tight fit in the other end in the case. More surface area for contact, so less chance of burning off again.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48173/FAF732BA76994E60BAD84924F0E036A2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-07-2008, 10:48 AM
flstf93
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a 93 fatboy and the plug was a little sloppy as well so i took a punch and spread the prongs apart however, what is the spring clip that you guys are talking about??

Quick Reply: Low voltage on gauge