EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Carbs

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Van_Kerr
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbs

Anybody got any preferences on aftermarket carbs ? ........ Pro's & cons re Mikuni HSR & S&S super E carb ? ......... Performance over stock CV andfuel returns on all three ?

If I fit an S&S on a 1991 FXR Evo will I need new cables ?

Old 04-02-2008, 05:10 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,823 Likes on 1,183 Posts
Default RE: Carbs

Unless you're doing a super big inch engine, for performance and/or economy, there is NO better carb than the CV -when properly tuned... period!

Old 04-02-2008, 05:30 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The stock CV is undersized for most HD engines and it has a throttle plate restricting it even more. S & S carbs have been around for a long while so there are lots of tuners with experience with that carb, but it does have a sag in the torque curve that you can move around and minimize it but it will still be there if the carb is sized right for your engine. The Mikuni a slide carb with no throttle shaft can be bolted on after checking the float level jet sizes etc. (as with any carb) and it will work well. Add a little dyno tuning and the mikuni will usually leave the others in the dust. It probably gives you the best bang for the buck, and more tuners are familiar with it every day.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:31 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

If any of my bikes had come with a Kehien CV carb I would have definitly used it! Lightly modified, a stage 1 evo will pull 64 horses with a properly set up CV. Check out Nightrider.com for all the details to set it up.

I've run the Mik and it is a great performer. I currently run an S&S Super E and it works great as well, but I would have never used them if I already had a good CV to start with.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:24 PM
mulch63
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wifey's 97 has an S&S. Easy to work on and you get get parts everywhere. I've had the stock Keihin carb and it was fairly easy to work on and a couple of mods and it works like a champ. Mikuni is awesome but somewhat expensive and toughest to work on and set up. Just my experiences. BTY fuel injection now....I'm sold.

jim

Old 04-03-2008, 12:14 AM
ggreenetx
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my 90 Heritage Classic bored 10 over and went with new S & S Super E and Thunderheader 2 into 1. Very happy with the performance, and I recommend going with the S & S.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:40 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I renderered my opinion privately as you requested .
BTW, There is no sag or hesitation in my Super E it is all a matter of properly tuning and adjusting the carb. According to many experts a 31 intermediate and 74 main are ay too rich for my combination, should be a 29.5 and 72 they say. Sorry experts the bike absolutely responded to both jet changes with just minor adjustments.Decreasing the accelerator pump shot made a big difference as well.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:50 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,528 Likes on 22,675 Posts

No sag or hesitation on my Super E either. Like it lots better than I did the CV.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:52 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Like you have read,if you already have a CV carb,stick with it.My personal favorites are the proper S&S carbs,sized for the motors.The difference is small between all of them.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

I have an S&S on my bike and I like it. I have no flat spots. With three jets (idle, intermediate and high speed) you can tune it pretty well. It was way too much carb for the 883, though, and the jets that came with it were no where near what was needed on either bike, even though the label specifically said it was for that exact motor.

Mikuni's are a good carb too, no doubt. I'd consider one of those, and I was looking for one for the Sportster at one point, but I never could find one small enough. Everyone thinks they need a 44 or something and the 883 probably needs about a 32-ish Mikuni.

I went EFI on the 883 and my wife says "It's like driving an automatic transmission. You just put it in gear and go." In other words, real smooth and power everywhere. If I was to change my bike, I'd go EFI on that too.

Quick Reply: Carbs