EVO All Evo Model Discussion

I am at a loss

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 07:10 PM
wils5150
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I am at a loss

I replaced the circuit breakers on my 98 fatboy now I have no spark.when you put a volt meter on a battery what should it read. maybe my battery is junk? I love my evo and had good luck with her but this is tcked me off. Thanks in advance

Old 03-31-2008, 08:16 PM
89Classic
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I am at a loss

Hi Wils5150

Are you sure that the brakers you installed are all working. I've installed 2 new ones on my 93 fxstc and for some reason one of them triped and would not reset back and I had to replace it with another new one.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:23 PM
wils5150
Tourer

not sure. I gave up before I really got pissed. I did through a volt meter on the battery and it read 12.25 volts I put my tender on and am going back to the drawing board tomorrow! I have a crane hi-4 ignition and in there troubleshooting a low bateery can cause it not to start.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:30 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: wils5150

I replaced the circuit breakers on my 98 fatboy now I have no spark.when you put a volt meter on a battery what should it read. maybe my battery is junk? I love my evo and had good luck with her but this is tcked me off. Thanks in advance
Your battery shoud read 12.5 volts give or take a volt. If your problem started when you changed out your breakers, put the old ones back in.If your problem is no sparkbut the batterycranks the engine over at a normal speed...the battery aint the problem.
If ya want posibilities, let us know what isand what it isn't doing!

Old 03-31-2008, 08:56 PM
wils5150
Tourer

I replaced the breakers because the old ones were falling apart. The metal caps were all lose and pretty much fell apart in my hand. I am trying to figure out why it died (shut off like someone hit the kill switch)yesterday thats how I discovered the breaker problem. another poster had the exact problem and someone suggested the breakers. I have lights so I do not think its the main. I also have 12 volts to the coil from the ignition switch. but no spark when cranking it.all the coil connections a crimp on so I might cut them out and redo them tomorrow.I do all my own work usually but electrics are not my strong siut.
Wils

Old 04-01-2008, 01:21 AM
Abe_Lugo
Advanced

ok, caught your post.
So you have no spark?
if your able to crank your bike, you should check it there is votage going to the ignition module.
One way of checking in crane unit is the lttle Red LED right on the unit.
so take the ignition cover off, crank it, no LED then you have issues, if you do have the LED then check the coil. cit the coil is sparking try the plug wires.
I've had to trouble shoot a Hi4 multiple times. The main thing that the tech told me is to run a ground right from the battery to the primary where the starter bolts to and that worked.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:47 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: wils5150

I replaced the breakers because the old ones were falling apart. The metal caps were all lose and pretty much fell apart in my hand. I am trying to figure out why it died (shut off like someone hit the kill switch)yesterday thats how I discovered the breaker problem. another poster had the exact problem and someone suggested the breakers. I have lights so I do not think its the main. I also have 12 volts to the coil from the ignition switch. but no spark when cranking it.all the coil connections a crimp on so I might cut them out and redo them tomorrow.I do all my own work usually but electrics are not my strong siut.
Wils
I'm not so good with electronics either but I have a few ideas. I'm sure you have checked and double checked all your wire connections by now. Alot of folks have problems with ignitionsystem that sound similar to what you are describing. Try to locate/borrow a usedstock breaker plate and ignition module and see if it makes any difference. Could even be a coil failure?.
I used to work on electronic systems in the military and some of the hardest problems usually turned to be something so simple and obviouswe just completely overlooked it. Hopefully your's will work out to be like that!!

Good luck....If I think of anything else I'll reply again!

Old 04-02-2008, 05:38 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not familiar with your ignition system at all. So, I'll leave that to the others, it does sound like your missing the pulse and that would be ignition.

To check your CB, put your volt meter on each post of the breaker and measure the voltage with the key on and off. You should read 0v. If you are reading voltage there, the breaker is open

Old 04-03-2008, 02:03 PM
wils5150
Tourer

I came home from work yesterday unhooked my tender battery read 13.4 volts. hit the starter and she fired right up.left the tender off all day and she reads 13 volts. still I think I am going to buy a new battery as I am not sure hold old this 1 is I have had the bike (98 Fatty)almost 2 years and I have never changed it. Thanks to all who have helped!
Wils

Old 04-10-2008, 07:51 AM
Ribcracker
Tourer

So I rear it your battery whislt ont he tender was reading 13.4 and then after you fired the bike up and left the battery on the bike all day with out the tender hooked up you now fet a reading of 13.0 V ?
Whats wrong with that ?
Where are you getting the voltage readings from. Also to check if it is the battery take it off the bike and charge it then see if its loses charge whsilt standing. You could have what is called an earth leak as the volatge drop is very small. I am assumeing all you battery conections are clean and terminal on the starter isnt coverd in crud. Another thing is the design of the earth strap isnt the best I have seen on a harley.Mine went from the battery to a bolt on the frame where several other earths joined it. Then another went from here to a point on the frame behind the battery box andf then down to the engine. Even with a brand new battery My 1.4 KW starter had trouble cranking My engine over. So I made up a 1 pieice lead that went from the neg side of the battery down to one of the bolts that hold the starter to the trans. Probem solved. Every time you put a conection or join in a cable you create resistance and casue a voltage drop. So on My dyna as it came there were 4 conections.

Quick Reply: I am at a loss