Dumping oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008 | 05:20 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Dumping oil

ORIGINAL: 89 FXRS

(Snipping some good info)

Good to do. Common sence has to tell you that a light oil for the clutch is best, Pococj states that the primary is a 50w. I have been a HD rider for many years and will disagree on his point. Oil iscooler only in the primary, for the clutch to push out 50w when engaged verses 10 or 20w. This alone has to tell you something. Common sence.Do not waste your money there. No offence Pococj but the primary does not need the supior lubrication that synthetic oil has, we are talking about a simple chain and a wet clutch.
You can disagree about the weight, but the stuff was tested in an independent lab and those were the results. Whether you have 2 years or 200 years riding, the results are what they are. It's in the 50 weight range. I'll stick by my statement.

As far as the syn or not in the primary, I tend to agree with you. Before I started running belt primaries I used ATF. Great on the clutches, and worked well with the chain, too. Plus it was dirt cheap.

Liked your ideas on what was causing his squealing when not moving. It'd scare the crap outta me to look back and watch my rotor move 'cause the bolts were loose!

Old 03-30-2008 | 08:39 AM
tobyhd1
Tourer

Synthetic oils are ok in the primary if they are designed for such.Oils such as amsoils motorcycle 10-40 are designed for motorcycle engines as well as the trannys on bikes that share the same sump oil (metrics).FXRS hates anything to do with synthetics and or oil coolers.Stone age.Toby

Old 03-30-2008 | 09:25 AM
89 FXRS
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: moblmowr

Well, I drained some of the tranny fluid out and will check it next time I ride it and get it warmed up. I also took the rear brakes off and sanded (lightly) the pads and took a little off the edges so maybe this will take care of my problem noise. Do I need to replace the pressure switch or can it be taken off, cleaned up, and put back on. Like I said, its a strange kind of squeal, it doesn't really sound like the pads but who knows, I did put some grease on the linkage, at first it didn't seem to help but then the last 2 or 3 times I stopped when coming home earlier, it didn't squeal, but I took the brakes apart anyway to make sure. I also think the muffler guards are rattling some too! Some times it seems that the more things I try to fix or service, the more things seem to make noise or vibrate, but I know it has needed everything I have done. I guess the learning curve never ends, lol.
Well, I drained some of the tranny fluid out and will check it next time I ride it and get it warmed up. I also took the rear brakes off and sanded (lightly) the pads and took a little off the edges so maybe this will take care of my problem noise. Did you check the bolts on your rotor? Do I need to replace the pressure switch or can it be taken off, Try to bleed your brakes first if that does not cure your brake light problem, replace the switch. Keep a eye on it regularly. Like I stated earlier mine was a problem until I replaced my brake light switch with a mechanicle one. I like my brake lights to turn on when I just touch my brakes to give the car behind me plenty of notice. cleaned up, and put back on. Like I said, its a strange kind of squeal, it doesn't really sound like the pads but who knows, I did put some grease on the linkage, at first it didn't seem to help but then the last 2 or 3 times I stopped when coming home earlier, it didn't squeal, but I took the brakes apart anyway to make sure. I also think the muffler guards are rattling some too! Some times it seems that the more things I try to fix or service, the more things seem to make noise or vibrate, It's a HD, although my Shovel and my Pan rattled allot more. Hey, things would fall off on the road back then. Not on my Evo. but I know it has needed everything I have done. I guess the learning curve never ends, lol. Keep in mind that your ride is made of aluminum and to be tightened wrist tight and not arm tight. Go around yout motor and check everything.

Old 04-02-2008 | 01:39 AM
moblmowr
|
Cruiser

Well, the brakes are still sqeaking and I will change them when I can afford it. Took the primary cover off and checked to make sure I adjusted the chain correctly. Refilled it with a quart of transmission fluid. Took off the carb, tore it apart , found out the jets were a 45 and 170 but it hadn't had the slide drilled or the shim washers on the needle so I did all of that. Started it for about a minute or two to make sure it would run (lol) and tomorrow I will finish making all the proper adjustments. I think it is going to run better because my cold start was much easier andI was able to turn the choke off after 30 to 40 seconds which I could never do before.

Old 04-02-2008 | 08:38 AM
89 FXRS
Cruiser

Did you check the torque on your rotor bolts? If they are not frozen try to retorque them. Are your rotors discolored? Maybe warped? This would be a cause for squeeling. I would look there first before replacing pads.Like your car, you shouldreplace pads and rotor together.

I replaced my pads two times at one time for squeeling,before finding out the problem was my rotor.
If I remember right the rotor cost about as much as the pads.

Old 04-02-2008 | 09:44 PM
moblmowr
|
Cruiser

I didn't check the torque but they felt good and tight. One bit of good news is that I had to replace the intake gaskets and put a 48 slow jet in my carb. Boy did it make a difference in the way it ran. Still have just a little vibration down low when I take off and hit between 1500 to 2000 rpm. I forgot my cousin's stepson is a Harley mechanic at Full Boar where I bought the bike and he was working today when I got the gasket kit so he told me bout the 48 jet plus a few other helpful tidbits. He wasn't to keen on me putting the trans fluid in the primary so I will be changing that as soon as I can. All in all it was a pretty good day down here in the Lone Star state.