EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Dumping oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008 | 01:48 PM
moblmowr
|
Cruiser
Default RE: Dumping oil

No, I put Castrol 20-50w in the primary and the Mobli 1 70-90w in the tranny. But on a sour note, I started it this morning and it started leaking again but stopped after a bit. Didn't seem like it leaked as much as before and I haven't seen it coming out the vent tube but it sure was wet right underneath it.

Old 03-25-2008 | 08:35 PM
89 FXRS
Cruiser

Holy carp, 20-50w in the primary is way too heavy. The oil in the primary is only a cooling fluid, not as much lubricating.

The highest oil weight in your primary should be a straight 20w,10w is fine if not better.

30w isto heavy. I have heard of some using Auto tranny fluid in the primary.

For the sake of your clutch get rid of the 20-50w and never use a synthetic oil in the primary.

Old 03-26-2008 | 02:05 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

Does not Harley now recommend Syn 3 in all three holes? Not saying that one has to do it.

Old 03-26-2008 | 07:56 AM
89 FXRS
Cruiser

I could not tell you what is now reccomended as far as oil. I own a Evo and not a now bike.

From personal experience do not put synthetic in your primary. Or plan on replacing your clutch due to to much slip. Heavy oil in the primary will also cause to much slippage of your clutch.

Your clutch is a wet or dry clutch you do not need to overfill the primary. In fact less is ok. But more important is non synthetic and thin oil in the primary. Do not listen to those those that might say that primary fluid weight is not important. Believe it or notI have had some try to argue this with me, I guess that their 2 years of riding experience far surpasses my36 years of HD riding and wrenching.

Old 03-26-2008 | 07:42 PM
flstf93
Advanced

good to know, guy at my local shop sold me harley synthetic primary and trans oil for my primary and trans. haven't changed it yet this year.

Old 03-27-2008 | 11:33 AM
Mr1986FLST
Tourer

I used the harley tranny fluid for many years...switched over to the harley synth when they stopped carrying the old stuff. I have around 150k on the original clutch with no signs of problems, no slip, feels strong. I think if you have a beefed up engine then maybe slippage could become an issue but onmy stock set-up Iam not worrying about it.

Old 03-28-2008 | 09:56 PM
moblmowr
|
Cruiser

I thought I read in some other sections that it was okay to use the same oil in the primary as in the engine. I guess I'll change it to a lighter weight but one thing I did notice is that my tranny leak has quit. I do however have a small oil leak coming from somewhere, don't know if primary drain plug is leaking because I didn't put any teflon tape on it or if the primary cover gasket is leaking because I have taken it off twice now and used the same gasket. Now for another question while I'm here, everytime I put on the rear brake, I get a loud squealing noise. The brake pads look okay and it will do it while not moving when I have it idled up and you push on the rear brake pedal. Also the brake light will work with the front lever but not with the rear forward control. Could this be from low brake fluid in the rear as I can't really see the sight glass because the mufflers are in the way.

Old 03-29-2008 | 06:59 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Gonna jump in here with a couple tidbits of info: The HD primary oil has a viscosity in the 50 weight range. So 20w-50 is not too heavy. And a synthetic oil made to use in the primary will not cause slippage. Some synthetic oils might cause slippage if the oil contains too much molybdenum, but the typical 15w-50 or 20w-50 synthetic car oil generally contains only about 100 ppm moly, and the 20w-50 motorcycle oils contain no moly. 100 ppm is too low a level to cause any slippage.

Brake light not working with the pedal is probably the pressure switch. They have a nasty habit of gumming up, especially if the fluid hasn't been flushed/changed on a regular basis.

Something ain't making sense here about the squealing noise. I can see the squealing if you're moving and put on the brake. But you said it happens if you're not moving: ("Now for another question while I'm here, everytime I put on the rear brake, I get a loud squealing noise. The brake pads look okay and it will do it while not moving when I have it idled up and you push on the rear brake pedal.") If you ain't moving, pushing on the brake pedal simply squeezes the pads into a stationary disc. Can't see that squealing. Hmmm...

Old 03-29-2008 | 09:18 PM
89 FXRS
Cruiser

I thought I read in some other sections that it was okay to use the same oil in the primary as in the engine. I guess I'll change it to a lighter weight. Good to do. Common sence has to tell you that a light oil for the clutch is best, Pococj states that the primary is a 50w. I have been a HD rider for many years and will disagree on his point. Oil iscooler only in the primary, for the clutch to push out 50w when engaged verses 10 or 20w. This alone has to tell you something. Common sence.Do not waste your money there. No offence Pococj but the primary does not need the supior lubrication that synthetic oil has, we are talking about a simple chain and a wet clutch. but one thing I did notice is that my tranny leak has quit. I do however have a small oil leak coming from somewhere, Clean it,ride it, then look. don't know if primary drain plug is leaking because I didn't put any teflon tape on it or if the primary cover gasket is leaking because I have taken it off twice now and used the same gasket. I have used the same primary gasketfor many years.Now for another question while I'm here, everytime I put on the rear brake, I get a loud squealing noise. Check the bolts on yourdisk if it is when you are stopped grease you brakelevershaft.The brake pads look okay and it will do it while not moving when I have it idled up and you push on the rear brake pedal. Also the brake light will work with the front lever but not with the rear forward control. I have replaced that darn switch many times and flushed my system as many. I finally go tired of my brake light failing to go on when I stepped on the lever and for $8.00 installed aregular after market brake light switch under my bike.No problem since. I see many Evo riders stopping at lights with no brake light or their brake come on only when they push hard on the brakes. I replaced mine with a regularswitch after I had a car screeching his tires behind me due to him not seeing that I had pressed on my brakes. Safety first. Do not depend on the HD brake light switch!Could this be from low brake fluid in the rear No.as I can't really see the sight glass because the mufflers are in the way.

Old 03-30-2008 | 03:25 AM
moblmowr
|
Cruiser

Well, I drained some of the tranny fluid out and will check it next time I ride it and get it warmed up. I also took the rear brakes off and sanded (lightly) the pads and took a little off the edges so maybe this will take care of my problem noise. Do I need to replace the pressure switch or can it be taken off, cleaned up, and put back on. Like I said, its a strange kind of squeal, it doesn't really sound like the pads but who knows, I did put some grease on the linkage, at first it didn't seem to help but then the last 2 or 3 times I stopped when coming home earlier, it didn't squeal, but I took the brakes apart anyway to make sure. I also think the muffler guards are rattling some too! Some times it seems that the more things I try to fix or service, the more things seem to make noise or vibrate, but I know it has needed everything I have done. I guess the learning curve never ends, lol.

Quick Reply: Dumping oil