EVO All Evo Model Discussion

98 Roadking front tire reversed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 10:13 AM
RICHE
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 Roadking front tire reversed.

I bought new tire's for my bike, Dunlap 402's.A friend of mine lent me the tool's to mount my tire's, tire iron's,bead breaking tool,static wheel balancer,etc.When mounting tire's there is a yellow dot on the side wall that is suppose to be lined up with the valve stem.I mounted and balanced the rear tire and installed it with no problem.When doing the front tire I put the yellow dot were its supposed to be(lined up with the valve stem)but now the rim is reversed,do to the fact that these are directional tire's.The valve stem is now on the left side of the bike.The rim is a dual disk and appear's to be symetrical.My friend told me it would be fine like that(the tire is directional not the rim).Im hesatant about putting it together this way.Has any one run into this?and is it O.K. to mount the front rim reversed?

Old 03-22-2008, 01:29 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: 98 Roadking front tire reversed.

Don't do it!!! Front wheel spacers L/R can be totally different Take the tire back off and do it again Practice/practice

Old 03-23-2008, 06:45 PM
RICHE
Tourer

Thank's.I talked to a couple of people and they told me the yellow dot is just the lightest part of the tire.The direction of rotation is the important thing.Taking the tire back off sould be easy since I just had it off.Thank's again.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:20 PM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes, the yellow dot is supposed to be lined up with the stem (but it doesn't matter for the purpose of balance which side of the rim the dot is on.) I'm guessing that you just lost track of which side of the wheel was which. If a wheel isn't obviously asymmetrical (for example, on a bike with an ABS ring the wheel can only be installed one way) I mark the wheel with chalk before I remove it from the bike.

In principle, by mounting the yellow dot next to the valve stem, you will minimize the amount of wheel weight needed to balance the wheel. In practice, I have found the valve stem to not necessarily be the heavy spot, which is why I always check the balance of the wheel itself before mounting the tire, mark the heavy spot, then mount the dot next to it.

Probably more than you wanted to know about it. Hope it's not too bad a job pulling it back off and remounting it.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:29 PM
RICHE
Tourer

Thank you cookiemech.I dissassembled everything and started over.I thank you for your advice. b