EVO All Evo Model Discussion

is harley oil a must?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:24 AM
IA DPE
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: is harley oil a must?

I've been using Amzoil for 20+ yrs in my cars, switched my 86 FXRS to it too. Happy so far.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:53 AM
fbn ent
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Crank_Case

My first road bike is the 95 FLHTC all the guys use HD oil why cant i use mobil 1 ... should i put out the extra $ for the HD stuff? whats a good allternative?
Back to the original ????! No, you don't have to run HD oil although they would like to make it so they can't legally say you have to (warranty issues). I personally like Amsoil or Mobile 1. As stated before, stay away from FRAM filters. STEP AWAY FROM THE OIL THREAD![][&o][&:][:'(][:@]!

Old 04-09-2008, 12:15 AM
flstf93
Advanced

oil IS A MAJOR FACTOR IN COOLING as well as air. when you lubricate, you cool. take an old junk mower and run it without oil. take a cylinder temp. then do the same thing with oil. with oil will be cooler. oil transfers heat as well. it is more than just air!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what about when you are in a poker run in a traffic jam idling for hours on end, no air flowing by fins.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:56 AM
89 FXRS
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: flstf93

oil IS A MAJOR FACTOR IN COOLING as well as air. when you lubricate, you cool. take an old junk mower and run it without oil. take a cylinder temp. then do the same thing with oil. with oil will be cooler. oil transfers heat as well. it is more than just air!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what about when you are in a poker run in a traffic jam idling for hours on end, no air flowing by fins.
oil IS A MAJOR FACTOR IN COOLING Do you always drive your points at homeby yelling, Do not yell. as well as air. when you lubricate, you cool. Lubrication in a motor prevents wear and heat, this is not cooling it is prevention of heat.take an old junk mower and run it without oil. take a cylinder temp. then do the same thing with oil.I agree that thereis a degree of cooling with oil especially on the piston. Have you read everything before you started yelling?, with oil will be cooler. oil transfers heat as well.Again did you read it all?it is more than just air!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what about when you are in a poker run in a traffic jam idling for hours on end, no air flowing by fins. Every poker run I have been on keeps moving. If I was stuck in traffic for hours in another situation I would shut down, Inever idle for hours with a air cooled motor. Any experienced rider knows this.

According to your statement when you are "idleing for hours with no air flowing by the fins your oil is the only thingthat is cooling your motor." No doubt about it. And your point concerning your overheated motor is?

Oil does prevent heat from friction. This is notmajor cooling.
Oil does cool a motor,especially the piston.
Oil does transfer heat.Air cools the oil.

Allow me to repeat, Air cools the oil, oil prevents heat from friction. Major cooling is air. Keep it flowing.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Rob85WG
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

What I really want to know is, "Which oil tastes better?"

Because we all stopped caring about the lubricating qualities weeks ago.

Please stop torturing us. Even McCain is against it. It's spring time, go for a ride. Damn!!!!!

Old 04-09-2008, 08:59 PM
89 FXRS
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Rob85WG

What I really want to know is, "Which oil tastes better?"

Because we all stopped caring about the lubricating qualities weeks ago.

Please stop torturing us. Even McCain is against it. It's spring time, go for a ride. Damn!!!!!
Funny, good one on the taste test.

I moved to Florida 28 years ago so that I could ride all year long. Now I have the added advantage of wind through my hair by going helmetless if I choose.

Crap, I hope this does not bring up a helmet issue.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:40 AM
mjaw
Cruiser

I use Amsoil 20w50 in all three holes on my '98 FXD.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:38 PM
mtkawboy
Intermediate

Ive been riding for 37 years and used 20/50 Castrol GTX in everything with never a problem including a 10 second drag bike. Thats a total of about 30 bikes as best I can recall

Old 05-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Franko92
Intermediate

My lowrider has gone 32,000 miles on Castrol GTX 20W50, changed every 1000 miles,from the previous owner with no problems. Im a Mobil1 synthetic guy...I would like to make the switch, but I dont want to ruin a good thing.
I think I'll give extra virgin olive oil a try,its low in saturated fat.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:18 AM
BB Sue
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 89 FXRS
Funny, good one on the taste test.

I moved to Florida 28 years ago so that I could ride all year long. Now I have the added advantage of wind through my hair by going helmetless if I choose.

Crap, I hope this does not bring up a helmet issue.
ORIGINAL: Franko92

My lowrider has gone 32,000 miles on Castrol GTX 20W50, changed every 1000 miles,from the previous owner with no problems. Im a Mobil1 synthetic guy...I would like to make the switch, but I dont want to ruin a good thing.
I think I'll give extra virgin olive oil a try,its low in saturated fat.
Hey, I use EVO oil (Extra Virgin Olive) on my hair, keeps it shiny and the frizz down...

And I change the oil in my helmets once a season.

On a more serious note... what about Aeroshell 20-50 (or the straight weights)? Anyone run this stuff and had good luck with it?

Reason I ask is airplanes are also air cooled and run a variety of temperatures, are pushrod and roller cam motors, andit seems like it'd be one less oil I'd have to buy if it works.

Sus