EVO All Evo Model Discussion

It keeps getting more and more ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 07:42 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts
Default It keeps getting more and more ...

expensive!

I've had my '87 Sloptail down since last fall. Haven't had much time to work on it with school (done), work, sick, blah, blah, blah. Originally, the intent was too simply swap out the engine (cracked left case) with the HD crate motor. When I pulled the old motor I noticed the frame paint was a little raggedy, and that the wiring had been modified on the fly once too many times. I also wanted to slap a CV on the new motor instead of using the old Keihin butterfly. Then I decided to put my unused front fender bass-ackwards on the rear. Also wanted a single swingarm bag. And then decided that I was tired of the fork tins. Plus I need to redo the brakes; back disc is downright oogly.

So the fun started this past couple weeks when I finally got a little time (work cut back to only 7-10s). I had cut the old front, now rear, fender to my liking, but noticed too late it was narrower than the fender struts. Ordered a Street Stalker rear fender off eBay, but it would require a solo-only seat - no go (THE MAMA likes to be a passenger sometimes)! Found another shortened fender and picked it up. Bid on several CV carbs and can make one good out of the growing carb pile. Still need to get the backing plate, air cleaner, and bits & pieces. Started cleaning and prepping the frame. Pulled the fork tins off and then decided to go for a set of custom trees instead of cutting on the originals. Going to 6 inch risers from the now 4 inchers.

Today I decided to chunk the rear master cylinder altogether; gonna run a line from the front master cylinder to a tee, then one line to the front caliper, and the other line to a proportioning valve, and on to the rear caliper. I run a jockey shift & suicide clutch so I needed to stick with the hand brake lever; get too complicated trying to keep the clutch in and the brake on if I went with only a foot brake.

I found an old WW2 Navy electrical box off some aircraft my Dad had worked on. That's gonna be the basis of the rewire job. Three switches - ignition, headlights, turn signals . I'm putting a Nightster side mount license bracket on, and a couple small bullets wired to a magic box that will allow them to act as tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals. Front signals will be on a Motion-Pro light bar that fastens under the lower tree. Going to get a Big Boar custom application battery to be able to lower the seat a couple inches. Existing battery sticks up past the frame rails.

Also going to do some more whacking on the outer primary to open it up some more since I can't afford to go with a complete electric foot open primary belt drive.

I have another month of overtime to get through, and then the work should be able to really take off. At least the OT money will be put to good use.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:06 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: It keeps getting more and more ...

Poco,

I would love to see pics as you go along if you could work them in to your busy schedule.