EVO All Evo Model Discussion

new carburetor

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008 | 06:50 PM
Rob85WG
Tourer
Default RE: new carburetor

I have a reworked 85 wg also. I'd upload some pics but I keep getting "file too large" err. message.

I have a scanned wiring diagram for your bike that I spent a lot of time cleaning up. Let me know if you want a copy. The file is 1 meg.

Old 02-12-2008 | 10:24 PM
cammed85fxwg
|
6th Gear

well, here'sa question for y'all with mikuni's, how hard are they to tune? I plan on doing more to the bike in the future, so tunability is a big factor in my decision.

Old 02-12-2008 | 10:30 PM
FandA M
Road Captain

Do something different............go with an SU.......Fuel mileage is fantastic and will perform as good or better than anything out there.I've ran CV's, S&S,andgot rid of an HSR42 about 2 years ago for my SU.Best carb I've ever run.....plus they look badass!!

I can't seem to upload a pic.Says the file is too large.Same picsI always upload.Did something change?

Old 02-12-2008 | 10:39 PM
cammed85fxwg
|
6th Gear

who makes the su? just curious to look into pricing and such

Old 02-12-2008 | 11:19 PM
FandA M
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: cammed85fxwg

who makes the su? just curious to look into pricing and such
SU is made by SU originaly Skinner Union in Birmingham Engl. and distributed by Rivera here in the U.S.It's a constant depression carb similar to the CV.It's one of the oldest carb designs.It has no accelerator pump but it does have what is called a tickler pump which allows you to pump a few shots of fuel on a cold start(usually not needed) I've met alot of guys,like my neighbor,that have told me I'llhave nothing but problems with it.NOT TRUE they are very reliable.I've been running mine for about 2 yrs. with no problems.I also know a couple of other guys running SU's and they love them as well.Like withany carb there's a little trial and error in dialingit in butit's easy to tune and easy to clean.I've got a heavily worked '90 XLH1200, 11:1 comp,.615 lift,ported polished heads,racing valves,roller rockersetc.,etc., and I'm probably getting mid 40's per gal.Throttle response and performance is as good or maybe even a little betterthanthe Mikuni I had on the bike before.They work great on stock motors as well as heavily modified big inch motors.
Jeez,I sound like a salesman (LOL)
Anyway ,I just thought I'd mention something different that you don't see out there too often anymore.
Check out www.Riveraengineering.com and you should be able to get all the info from there.

Why can't I upload my pics anymore? Keeps saying file is too large.........they were never too large before

Old 02-13-2008 | 06:17 AM
grbrown
Club Member

ORIGINAL: FandA M

Why can't I upload my pics anymore? Keeps saying file is too large.........they were never too large before
Hi,

Someone's listening! I cannot find what it is, but there is a limit to the size of file we can attach. If you have changed your camera recently it probably takes pictures with larger file size that the previous one.

I have had similar problems. If you make a copy of the photo you want to upload (so you don't spoil the original) downsize it to say 800x600 pixels, save it and upload that. Hopefully it will work!

Old 02-13-2008 | 06:39 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

Looks like your choice is no easier now after all suggestions.Pick one that has the aircleaner you would like to see on your bike.

Old 04-02-2011 | 05:19 PM
oldshovel80
Stage II

fanda m are you still running a su carb on your bike? if so i would like to ask you some tuning questions. thanks

Old 04-03-2011 | 03:02 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

The HSR is real easy to tune but only if you know how to tune a carby...same goes for the S&S. My observations are that both will give you a boost in performance and both will kill your gas mileage.

Brought a TC88 fitted with a Super E back from Christchurch when I brought my EVO up and the Super E was a thirty SOB!!! Have fitted HSRs to both Sporties and Dyna EVOs with the same result.

Remember that in order to increase HP you usually have to burn more gas unless you do sufficient engine mods to make it burn the gas a lot more efficiently.

I reckon that if gas mileage is anywhere the top of your agenda then go for the CV and enjoy the cruisability of a Big Twin, fit a K&N and a freeflow exhaust to get the best out of the motor and don't get too hung up on numbers...a good rider is worth 50HP anyhow!