EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Have I always been wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 11:21 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 439 Likes on 248 Posts
Default RE: Have I always been wrong?

is it different then the factory diagram in the service manual?

Old 02-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Rob85WG
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It's the same one but I can't read the one in the manual. Print's to small for my 40year old eyes. I scanned it and zoomed in to clean up all of the blurry text. Now I can print out larger copies and I don't have to worry about smudging my only copy.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Vinnie85FXWG
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has nothing to do with the studs. They can be removed and replaced no problem, and the external oiling system was done by harley thinking it would be better. It sometimes does fine but there is many kits out there that are top end oiling kits for shovels, like from Jims, which gives you pushrods, tappets and rocker arms like the evo. And like I said in an earlier post, at 70,000 miles, we did a top end by the best mechanic who happened to be working at [:'(]freedom[:'(] back in the '90s, put the wrong base gasket in and had to tear the engine back apart to put in the correct gasket. What he needed was and early '85 gasket and put in a late '85. I will go and find the receipt and give you a part number from harley.

ORIGINAL: Classic Beast

The shovel barrels were bolted on at the bottom with short studs (cast iron barrels). the oiling for the top end on a shovel was done through an ouside line from the right side case above the oil pump. The first cases for an evo were very similar to the shovels up till 93L when the oil pump was changed and it went over to the head breathers. To run shovel barrels on an evo it can be done but they are different so many changes need to be made (the same as you can adapt a knuckle top end to a shovel bottom) and of course the combustion chamber on the shovel is a "Hemi" design with pop up pistons, the evo's are a flat top piston with a D shaped combustion chamber and quench area on one side. You can't really call it a shovel bottom end if you have an evo top end as they have the long studs for the aluminum barells and head plus no outside oiling line for the top end. Even though if many of the parts are the same like flywheels rods bearing cam the cases are not the same. The rockers are a different ratio as the shovel is a 1.5 so you get less of a lift with the same cam as in an evo since they are a 1.65. As far as I know an shovel cam will fit but the lobes are usually designed different for the ratio of the rockers so you wouldn't want to use a shovel cam as the specs would be all wrong due to the top end. I haven't tried to put a shovel cam in an evo so maybe someone else might know if it will actually fit they look the same. In my 1984 FXRS I put the evo cam in and had no problems with it.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:50 AM
outlaw0013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at the pics I posted. There are of a 78 shovel and my 85 WG ( early). You can see the difference in the bottom ends. The shovel bottom ends are shaped differently.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:28 PM
kiwidave2
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think ClassicBeast and outlaw have nailed this one.

It does NOT have a Shovel bottom end. There are a *FEW* bottom end parts in our early Evos that were introduced in 1983 Shovels.....check your parts book. Like CB says, flywheels for one thing.

But i have to call 'WTF' on the 'wrong gasket' story. Evo base gaskets fit all Evos 84-up. Really. Doesnt matter what kinda transmission you got, 4spd or 5.

I have done the base gaskets on my 1985 FXEF (yep, another 4psd rarity) often enough to have encountered that issue. But I never have.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:43 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have done many engine repairs/mods to my 85 FXWG over the last 18 years and 124,000 miles. I have always used evo parts. I have always thought if ya have a shovel, buy shovel parts....If it's an evo, well then ya just buy evo parts!! The only thing I have a problem locating for my ride is a selection of seats. I have usually modified shovel seats (such as the one in the pic) and works great.
Vinnie....Yer bike is all evo, dude!!!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/43978/D0321A245A8A4748BBC56298639204D5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-18-2008, 12:07 PM
nilro
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm... When I saw the topic of this I thought it was going to be one of those "Baggin on tha wife" threads. Mine tells me I am always wrong.