1984 softail performance issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:59 AM
neverstuck
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 softail performance issue

Well this is mty first posting and i hope that Im doing it correctly
heres my issue ,1984 softail ,new 9.5:1 pistons ,new valves new valvesprings,new ev27 cam and it has a dyna ign and s&s e carb...topend was done last year in ny.Ive since moved to florida and the bike hadnt been run since the rebuild(2 years) took her out the other day and shes feeling a little dead on the bottom end and breaking up on the top end .Im figuring a timing issue but Im unsure ..Ive been a heavy equipment mech for 18 years but really havent gotten into my harley so much....any help would be appreciated ......Im also running 2 inch open drags and a screamin eagle filter

thanks in advance
big craig

Old 12-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Lumpy63
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1984 softail performance issue

Things come to mind:
1.) Proper jetting
2.) Proper fuel delivery
3.) how old is the fuel?
4.) Tight valve lash will give you crappy bottom end...

Go back and check basics.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,908 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Did it run right 2 years ago, after the rebuild and with the same stuff on it?If it did, then I'd say your carb is junked up, probably the main jet and the intermediate jet plugged. If it has never run after the rebuild and new stuff, then I'd say your carb is either plugged up or never was jetted for the current setup or both.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:13 AM
neverstuck
Intermediate

It ran fine b4 the rebuild and was never rejetted ,Im gonna be pulling the carb this weekend cuz i have a feeling ,that my mech let the old fuel sit while i was "in college" so im gonna clean it all out then try to set the jetting

thanx to everyone whos helped me out so far ..........happy newyear...ill update as i get into it this weekend

Old 12-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

Pull the carb. Pull the bottom off the carb. Remove the main and intermediate jets. Let soak.. Blow out with carb cleaner, compressed air. If necessary, push some thread or string through the jet and clean it out that way. Blow out the idle mixture passage with carb cleaner and air. Reassemble.

Then start the jetting process. One size up on the intermediate and main would be a good guestimate for a starting point.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:17 PM
Rottiman
Road Captain
Location: Ontario, Canada home of the TAX YOU TO DEATH LIBERALS

I'll bet a crapped up carb. Dr. Hess is right on. Time for fall cleaning.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:26 PM
neverstuck
Intermediate

Happy newyear ladies and gents.....Ok took the carb apart ,cleaned everything out jets orifice tubes ,,now she doensnot break up at all ...but the accelerator pump is constantly leaking into the throat of the carb and Im blowin fire out of the carb upon hard acceleration...i didnt rplace the diaphram in the accel pump ,I did pull the nozzle and blew out the tube and replace the o ring ...Bad diaphragm or did I miss something ?

Old 01-04-2008, 07:42 AM
neverstuck
Intermediate

ok rebuilt accel pump too still cant get this bitch dialed in ....its alot better but still dosent wanna take the fuel ...she will cough and spit fire on a good snap of the throttle .seems like the pump isnt spraying right ,think its time to bring her to a shop ....anyone got any suggestions ?

Old 01-04-2008, 08:21 AM
js124
Tourer

Turn the acc pump off while you rejet the carb . The acc pump can cover up improper jetting . Once you get it jetted then set up the acc pump right . Remember less is better on the acc pump

Old 01-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

After fixing everything you know is bad like the pump, gas leaks, any intake leaks, etc., then go through the tuning procedure in the manual for the carb. It is available in a PDF on the S&S web page. It's a good description on how to jet it. Like JS124 sez: Turn off the accelerator pump first, then you tune the various parts by swapping out jets, then you finish with tuning the pump. It's all in the manual.

I'm gonna guess you will need to go up a size or two on your jets.

Quick Reply: 1984 softail performance issue