EVO All Evo Model Discussion

EVO YEARS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 04:33 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,748 Likes on 2,014 Posts

Further complicating matters is that you can still buy new Evo motors from Harley, so in a sense, they are STILL in production.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Some people still call EVO's Blockheads, but it was real common when they first came out.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,404 Likes on 5,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
Some people still call EVO's Blockheads, but it was real common when they first came out.
Back when the Evo first came out, one of the writers for a motorcycle magazine came up with the name, but it never caught on, thankfully.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 449 Posts

Someone once asked me if my old Ironhead was a "Narrowhead"...I didn't know whether to laugh or cry...

Old 05-16-2011, 10:18 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Evorider seems to have hit the nail.

It was my understanding that the Evo run was this.

1984 to 1998 when the Dyna's and Baggers switched to Twinkie for the 1999 model year
1999 last year of the Softail Evo's and they switched to the Twinkie for the 2000 model year
2000, last year of FXR4 Evo and then gone forever

Last edited by bikerlaw; 05-16-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:40 AM
robkei
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, Spanner, I must admit that I occasionally refer to my bike as a "Blockhead". My last bike was a "Pan Shovel", so I guess I'm just stuck on the "head" thing.

I've heard folks refer to Twincams as "Fatheads", but only in writing, never out loud.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:26 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Matter of record concerning the history of Evos, the last year was 98, except for the Softail, XL and couple limited exceptions. The rest got the Twin Cam 88's in 99.
Years ago we did call them blockheads and I still do sometimes too! I've been with evos a long time ('89) and a Shovel before that. Never owned one, but was trained on and rode a bunch of company Pans. The Evos are the best! I will be with the Evos a lot longer, unless hell freezes over, then who knows.
Probably be a walker on "The Road" ........if I can walk!

Old 05-29-2011, 12:10 PM
birdmove
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read an article that In had printed from some internet forum some time ago, but just read it a few days ago. It basically says that HD went to the Twin Cam engine not due to any deficientcies in the Evo, but because HD hadn't properly protected the design of the EVO with patents. So S&S and others were able to use the EVO design and produce their own versions legally. So HD designed the Twin Cam and did the legal steps to protect the design in the process. It also says that there were quite a few delays in releasing the Twin Cam motors due to too high of operating temperatures and some oiling problems. It said the Twin Cam does have a better oil pump and better oiling then the Evo. I hadn't heard this before.

A buddy of mine basically assembled his own softail with a new HD Evo engine. He bought an aftermarket frame, wheels, etc, etc. He loves the carb'd Evo engine.

Me? I ride a Sportster.

Jon

Old 05-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by *******00
Actually it is 1984 to 1999, here is a list of the years of the HD motors

Flathead: 1909-1936

The Flathead was named because of the tell-tail flat vented tops that are recognizable at the top of each cylinder head. This is the famous motor that propelled the Harley-Davidson to victory after victory in the motorcycle races of the twenties.

Knucklehead: 1936-1947

On the eve of WW2, Harley-Davidson introduced an overhead-valve V-twin with knuckly looking valve covers. The new motor, affectionately named the "Knucklehead", performed well both for HD and for America in the difficult years to come.

Panhead: 1948-1965

WIth improvements to engine design, like hydraulic valve lifters that supplied oil through rocker arms, the Panhead hit the market in 1948. It was named for the pan-like valve covers replacing the knuckle covers.

Shovelhead: 1966-1983

By 1966 the Panhead underwent still more improvements. The most noticeable being the distinctive enclosed cylinder head in a sleek, slightly curved top. At a glance this looks unmistakably like a shovel with the pushrods tubes resembling the handle of a shovel, and the shovel itself.

Evolution: 1983-1999

In 1984 on the heels of a bold employee buyout of AMF, the motor company went public and introduced its now famous redesign of the V-twin. This radical new design utilized styled square blocks to house the valve train. This motor, revered as the Evolution engine is known amongst Harley enthusiasts as "the Blockhead".

Twin Cam 88: 1999-Present

With numerous American motorcycle manufacturers trying to surface and resurface, Harley-Davidson introduces its most revolutionary engine yet. The Twin Cam 88 gets its name from its two cams versus the single cam in all its ancestors. This motor also goes by the nickname "Fathead" for just exactly that, bigger heads. With this new engine design Harley-Davison puts one more notch in its insurance for success.
The last year of the shovel was actually 1984. In 1984 they released a very few police models.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:48 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

I had a 1942 "45" flat head back in the 50's. They also used that engine in the Sericar three wheeler clear up into the 50's at least.

Quick Reply: EVO YEARS?