EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Torn carb slide diaphram

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Blown 331
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torn carb slide diaphram

Last night I pulled the slide out of my CV carb on my 93 Softail and it had been slightly pinched by the top of the carb and cut the diaphram. Harley wants $46 for a new one as it comes with the slide. I was thinking of going with the dynojet thunderslide kit but from the pics it looks like you get a new slide but no diaphram.I'm going to need to re-jet anyway and if I have to by a new slide on top of that I might as well just buy a Mikuni. Pretty sad when it's not even worth putting a new diaphram in a carb. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Old 12-19-2007, 10:15 AM
SLC Rider
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Torn carb slide diaphram

You can get a new slide with the diaphram from bikebandit.com. I don't know if it is any cheaper as $46 sounds about right. Only issue with going with an aftermarket jet kit or mikuni carb is you will lose gas mileage.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:26 AM
!!!SPEEDY!!!
Advanced

Same thing happened to me about a year ago, went with a mikuni hsr 42, and my mileage actualy went up. Bought the easy kit from wallys cycleworld online for $250ish.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:43 AM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but why would you replace a jap carb with another jap carb. Buy an S&S and support an american company. They are easy to tune and run great, never had an issue with mine.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:08 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

ORIGINAL: fxstcguy98

Maybe it's just me, but why would you replace a jap carb with another jap carb. Buy an S&S and support an american company. They are easy to tune and run great, never had an issue with mine.
No kidding....I really like the S&S Super E carburetor. This is actually my favorite carburetors for Harleys. I've always gotten better fuel economy with these and they are SIMPLE. There is virtually no plastic parts in these to ever break. They work and a good bang for the buck Harley carburetor. I've never had issue either.....

Old 12-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Blown 331
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well you guys are preaching to the choir. I am a total pro-American guy. My dad was in the UAW for 33 years, I guess growing up around that did it to me. lol. There are some acceptions for me though. I would never own a foreign car but as far as ATV's or dirt bikes. Sorry, Honda all the way.

Anyway back on subject. Almost everyone I talk to that has used S&S carbs and Mikuni carbs likes the Mikuni much more, most people tell me they are easier to work on and make more power. I have no first had experience with this but I have heard this many, many times.
A buddy of mine just put a new S&S super E on his 85 EVO and he has had several people tell him to sell his brand new carb and go with a Mikuni.
This is just what I'm being told by lots of people with experienceso dont jump all over me about it.
I am still not sure what I am going to do about this problem though.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:28 PM
extech
Road Master

Different strokes for different folks, Most of our customers that have any "issues" with an S&S is mostly because of the enrichner,they don't know when to take it off.
All in all, tuning and performance they're great carburators and HEY...they're American Made.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:43 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I have owned my 1990 bike from new and progressivelytuned it with various mods, including first an Edlebrock,currently a Holley, any day now a Mikuni HSR42 (it is in the post).

I reckon I have kept the US export economy going over the last 40 years, with the multitude of Harley parts I have imported from across the 'pond', including the Mikuni kit!

If you took all the foreign parts off a Harley you wouldn't be able to ride it. My Buell has an Italian frame, V-Rods have Australian wheels - Harley are International bikes and are even being sold in China now.

So it is not being so unpatriotic to buy a foreign carb - at least the dealer you buy it from is local and gets some profit!