EVO All Evo Model Discussion

First Trip on my '95 Ultra!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:42 PM
BruceHarrisJr
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Trip on my '95 Ultra!

Well, here I sit at 'bout 9:35PM Sunday evening. Back on Friday October 19, 2007 I bought a used 1995 Ultra. On Monday October 22, 2007 I took her, unannounced to my local dealer, Davis Harley-Davidson in Burlington, NC and requested a whole bunch of work to be done on her. Well, I finally got her back last Thursday night at 6 PM. Got up early Friday morning, headed for Eldridge, Alabama for a children's charity event some 567 miles distant. MS WHOYAH! made the round trip without a hitch; just keep fuel in 'er and rip N ride!

Over the next several days I'll bore ya with my laundry list of farkles and such that I've added since my initial purchase. Like ole Gomer Pyle said in one episode "She's nice, she's real nice"; this, coming from a life long (started in '73) BMW fan.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: First Trip on my '95 Ultra!

Congrats on your purchase. I also ride a 95 Ultra. Mine has had most of the stuff replaced on it and still runs like a top at 141k miles. Had it repainted and it looks like a new Ultra. Keep your oil changed and check the lifter screen and clean it at every oil change. Be good to her and she'll take care of you

Bubba

95 Ultra
Luxury rich red/lava red sunglo

Old 12-03-2007, 10:02 AM
paco
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bruce,

Glad the trip went well, wish I could have made it.Would like to have met up with ya. I looked up the event on the web, looked like a great cause.Unexpected events caused me to cancel my plans to attend, but glad all went well with your new bike. I have been riding this old 90 model for many yrs and had no problems with it. Just kept the oil changed and rode. Had a accident while touring the west in Farmington, NM about 4 yrs ago and totaled the bike (almost). The estimate for parts was stopped at 3/4 the amount of total. I took the bike home and with the help of ebay, the bike you see is the result. Have a long list of trinkets I have put on this ol'wreck. Would leave on this bike to go anywhere in the county. Enjoy the bike....

later...........

Old 12-03-2007, 10:22 PM
BruceHarrisJr
Cruiser

As promised, I'm going to keep a running record of all the 'stuff' I've done to MS WHOYAH! in the short time we've been datin'. Okay, here we go: 1) Had Davis HD to remove engine and ship it to Milwaulkee for factory remanufacturing. 2) Install bronze swingarm bushings supplied by TruTrack. 3) Install heated hand grips supplied by 'Big Bike'. 4) Install engine oil cooler, thermostat, and oil filter adapter kit. 5) Install fairing wind deflectors. 6) Install 'new style' motor mounts. 7) Install two new Michelin Commander tires and pack wheel bearings. 8) Had the interior of thegas tank completely cleaned to bear steel and coated/lined with POR-15 sealant; prior owner had ruined it by letting it sit for ten months with very low gas amount in tank. 9) Installed HID low beam headlight bulb. 10) Installed electrical power plate and ground plate; to be used to hook up electrical accessories such as GPS, heated clothing, etc. 11) Installed www.ride-on.com in both tires. 12) Last night I changed engine oil/filter, transmission and primary; the first time for me! I filled the engine with Shell Rotella 5W40 Synthetic, transmission with Mobil 75W90 Synthetic, primary with Shell Rotella 5W40 Synthetic. I purchased and used www.roguechopper.com scavenger unit; what a neat product; way cool! 13) Took a sample of the used motor oil and will be sending it to www.Caterpiller.com tomorrow using their SOS oil analysis program. I will post the oil analysis results in about two weeks.

That's it for this evening...time for one last Budweiser!

Old 12-04-2007, 02:53 AM
pistole
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

- yo.

- congrats on your new ride (and riding), and do
keep the updates coming. I also new to my Softail
and would like to see what sort of stuff is being
done to bikes.

cheers

Old 12-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Bruce

Just curious.....How did the Michelin Commanders work for you? How's the ride quality and the handling in the curves. Di they provide the standard Michelin car tire ride and handling? Any idea about mileage?

Keep us informed on the tires. As good as their car tires are, if the MC tires area as god, I'll put a set on
Thanks

Bubba

Old 12-06-2007, 09:40 PM
BruceHarrisJr
Cruiser

Hey Bubba. Most of my trip last weekend was on Interstates. I did, however, ride some NW Alabama rural two lane roads at about 6 tenths pace without any surprises. Right now I'm running 38PSI in the front and 40PSI in the rear while riding solo. Too early to tell about how long they might last. I also run www.ride-on.com sealant in both tires. I'm a big beliver in the product; it has saved my hide twice. I will keep the forum up to date on my experience with the Michilen's.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:47 PM
BruceHarrisJr
Cruiser

Well alrighty, I got my Caterpillar oil analysis report yesterday and I'd like to be able to post it here, but cannot. For anyone wanting to see it just provide me with your email address and I'll send to ya. The good news is that CAT found no problems with my new motor thus far!

Old 12-08-2007, 08:50 PM
89 FXRS
Cruiser

I am new to the Forum. just signed up today, although not new to HD. My first was a Pan in High School. Then a Shovel. Anyway, get the synthetic out of your primary. The lube quality of synthetic oil is to good for a wet clutch. I learned it the hard way and a new clutch is not all that cheap.

I put a straight 20w in my primary. It's a clutch and a chain, no gears. Lighter oil is ok.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:28 AM
paco
Tourer

89fxrs,

Please explain your comments about syn oilin primary. I have been running Mobil 1-15/50 synin my engine, primary and trans for years with no issues. Both my 90 eglide and 99 rglide. 81,000 miles Eglide and 60,000 milesRglide.Have had both engines apart to upgrade and found nothing. Same clutch ascame in both bikes. It not that I don't believe, its I don't understand.

later................

Quick Reply: First Trip on my '95 Ultra!