EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Best stator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 06:00 PM
pigbike
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best stator replacement

I am going to replace my stator on my 1990 ultra, Are there any aftermart stators that are superior and are there any to stay away from. I may go for the complete charging setup with stator/rotor/volt reg. if that is a better deal.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:07 AM
bikerider58
6th Gear
Default RE: Best stator replacement

I don't know if any are "superior" but have seen Accel items with a lifetime warranty, so that has to be worth something. Afterall, the technology for alternators/regulators isn't new, so all should work well.

Is your current stator bad? If you want more juice, you could change out everything to the 3 phase 38Amp system. Moto-Electrix is an ebay seller that has a full kit and great feedback.

I'm sure there are lots of options.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:51 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

I've heard lots of good things with Accel products. They do have a lifetime warranty.....but I've never heard of a Accel stator ever failing.

I personally have had and seen stock OEM stators fail for no reason.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:45 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If I were you I'd go with the new voltage regulator as well, and get the three phase charging system. Less drag on the engine and easier on the battery.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:03 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,880 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I've had some bad experiences with Accel products lately. Maybe just my bad luck, but I'm staying away from their stuff for a while. I've had good experiences in past, however.

With the stator, it is the work involved to replace the thing more than the stator itself. Personally, I would go with whatever the "best" replacement available from HD is, and of course, put on a new matching regulator.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:16 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dr.Hess

I've had some bad experiences with Accel products lately. Maybe just my bad luck, but I'm staying away from their stuff for a while. I've had good experiences in past, however.

With the stator, it is the work involved to replace the thing more than the stator itself. Personally, I would go with whatever the "best" replacement available from HD is, and of course, put on a new matching regulator.

Couldn't agree more......definately get a new matching regulator. Don't skimp! What kind of trouble did you have with Accel lately? I've always heard good things with their stuff in the past......perhaps their quality has gone to "China."

Old 11-20-2007, 10:19 AM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not trying to push HD stuff just because I work at a dealer but in all honesty I've installed lots of different brands and never had any good luck with the aftermarket electronics. Stick with the HD stuff......
And like the other post said replace the regulator and stator and STATOR BOLTS .

Trending Topics

Old 11-20-2007, 06:52 PM
pigbike
Advanced

The reason I asked the question was that I had also heard that the HD stators where better then the aftermarket butI didn't have any first hand knowledge on it. I haven't asked at the dealer if they even have them available for a 1990 still. My guess is no but you never know whats in the back room.

My charging system was working ok but the reg. plug became loose from the stator plug.I purchased one of those clips to hold it together and that helped. My son took it for a ride(from Florida to GA,Tenn and NCand back) and said it stated acting up a block from home when he returned. I was glad he didn't have a problem on his trip but don't want to fool around with a old stator and reg.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:03 AM
Kramer Krazy
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock stator on my FXEF grounded itself on the engine case at 50k miles. I replaced it with an Accel and it's held up fine for 47k more miles.For regulators, I've used Accel regulators in the past, but after frying two of them, I now use the cheapest ones I can get my hands on. The current $29 regulator has been on the bike for the last 25k miles when I was going through them about every 10k or less miles.....for weird stuff like worn wire insulation and it shorted out on the frame (2), bad battery tookone out.....

Old 12-02-2007, 03:40 PM
06WideGlide
Cruiser

I also have a 90 Ultra and have been considering replacing the charging system. At idle with all the lights, etc. going my alternator output drops and the turn signals shut down. Recently found an older article by Joe Minton that addresses Harley alternator choices. He says that the older evo charging systems are not as good as the new models and his conclusion is if you need more juice install Compu-Fire's three phase system. It is a little pricey but Minton is rarely (if ever) wrong. Says it outputs 25 amps at idle and 40 amps above 2800 rpm. The article is in the June 2007, American Rider mag.and is quite convincing.

Steve

Quick Reply: Best stator replacement