EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Cam/Lifters etc. Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007 | 08:07 AM
rivercityslim
|
Road Master
Default Cam/Lifters etc. Upgrade

Dropped my bike off at the shop yesterday. I originally wanted to have the lifters replaced with the newer style with the better bearing design, as it's an '89 with the original lifters, and replace the original cam bearing with a Torrington. That led to the idea of replacing the cam with an EV27 or the Woods equivalent. I had put it off until now, as the riding season is pretty much coming to a close here in New England, so I won't mind if the bike is in the shop for a couple of weeks.

When I got to the shop yesterday, the mechanic inspected the cylinder base gaskets with a flashlight, and pointed out that the rear cylinder is just beginning to leak. So while the bike is already torn down to do the cam/lifters, he's going to pull the jugs and replace the studs and cylinder base gaskets as well. I may have the heads milled while they're off as well.Should be rockin' come Spring.

Old 11-15-2007 | 11:07 AM
Bama Harley
Cruiser
Default RE: Cam/Lifters etc. Upgrade

Just had mine done as well. EV27 cam, new style lifters, etc. new rings, studs and cylinder base gaskets.........I like the EV27. Now I just want to find a SE air cleaner assembly to help out the cam change.

Old 11-15-2007 | 07:34 PM
pigbike
Advanced

Recently did the EV27 cam, new lifters,pushrods,pistons,rings gaskets thing to mine. Use good base gaskets so you don't have problems in a few years.

Old 11-15-2007 | 08:24 PM
jbhoyle
Cruiser

Did the complete topend a couple of months ago on mine. I went with the VthunderEV5005 cam and lifters, adj.pushrods, 9.5to1 KB pistons and larger intake valves. I had the bottom of the jugs trued up to be sure I got a good base gasket seal. This combination make awesome torque. The cam is bigger than the EVL27 and a little noiser but I really like it.(569lift with236 duration) The intake timing makes a lot of cylinder preasure but I don't have any detonation problems. Last year I put aVThunderEV 3000 in whichhas very simular numbers as the EVL27 but I like this 5005 cam alot better.Put 2000 miles on before heading to Daytona for biketoberfest. Ran great, no problems.

Old 11-16-2007 | 01:04 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member

When I had my base gaskets done at 65K, I used silicone-coated metal base and head gaskets and also replaced the piston rings. Under no circumstances should the Harley gaskets be used. Cometic gaskets are the best. James are good, too.

Old 11-16-2007 | 01:09 PM
rivercityslim
|
Road Master

Under no circumstances should the Harley gaskets be used. James are good, too.
Mine's getting the James gaskets, as well as the newer studs. Agreed, the Harley gaskets are a joke.

Old 11-19-2007 | 06:01 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

Yeah, I gonna upgrade mine too, and go with a ultima 107, and 6 speed tranny.

Old 11-23-2007 | 06:19 AM
tobyhd1
Tourer

If your gonna go that far,have him drop in some 10:1 wiseco`s or equivalent not a lot of money and you`ll be glad you did.Just a quick hone job and you`ll be good to go.Toby

Old 11-24-2007 | 10:17 AM
Blown 331
Cruiser

I'm getting ready to tear into my 93 FXSTC. I hadn't heard anything about a newer style stud or lifters. Can someone explain?

Old 11-24-2007 | 01:24 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member

You should always use new cylinder studs when taking apart the top end. The studs are stretched when properly torqued down and there's no guarantee they will retain the ability to be stretched properly when re-used.
As for new style lifters, I assume it's something like JIM'S big axle lifters?

Quick Reply: Cam/Lifters etc. Upgrade