EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Cam/Lifters etc. Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007 | 05:00 PM
rivercityslim
|
Road Master
Default RE: Cam/Lifters etc. Upgrade

I'm getting ready to tear into my 93 FXSTC. I hadn't heard anything about a newer style stud or lifters. Can someone explain?
I think the last year for the old style lifters (different bearing more prone to failure) was '89, although I'm not 100% sure. By '93 I'm pretty sure your stock lifters have the newer style bearings. I don't have details on the studs, although I can ask my mechanic what the difference is.

Old 11-26-2007 | 09:38 AM
Bama Harley
Cruiser

I was told thatthe 93/94's have studs with the a shoulder on top (towards the head) which sometimes caused problems with torquing the heads. In mid 90's, HD changed to studs with the should on bottom (towards the case).

Old 12-04-2007 | 11:04 AM
rivercityslim
|
Road Master

I stopped off at the shop yesterday to pick up my seat (I'm going to send it out to Mean City Cycles for re-work) and to check on progress. I forgot to ask about the significance of the newer studs.

However, I did get to take a look at my motor in pieces, and at the new parts ready to go in. He was cutting the valve seats when I pulled in. The heads and valves look great -- the heads have been shaved and bead blasted, valves are cleaned and ground. The cylinders are cleaned and honed, so both jugs and heads are ready for paint. The new cam (Woods W6) had arrived, and I got to take a look at it, comparing the profile to the stocker. Big difference. The H-pipe of my stock exhaust had a crack at one of the welds, so instead of replacing it I've got a Fullsac dual conversion on the way. My new Cycle Shack slip-ons arrived yesterday -- they look great and hopefully will sound it too, particularly with the true dual conversion. A new Woods needle is going in my CV carb as well. It should be all done before Christmas. I'm psyched. Of course, the temp here hasn't climbed above freezing for a couple of days now, and we got snow, sleet and freezing rain dumped on us over the last two days as well. So there's ice, sand and salt all over the roads. My driveway is a sheet of ice except for the patches that I sanded. Maybe by Christmas/New Year's things will thaw out enough to get a little test riding in. Last year the first week of January we had record high temps, one can only hope...

Old 12-08-2007 | 08:10 AM
tobyhd1
Tourer

ORIGINAL: mp

You should always use new cylinder studs when taking apart the top end. The studs are stretched when properly torqued down and there's no guarantee they will retain the ability to be stretched properly when re-used.
As for new style lifters, I assume it's something like JIM'S big axle lifters?
I believe they`re sold as "big axle tappets"According to Jims:"increases the wall thickness of the roller by 27% and provides a 36% increase in the size of the tappet axle." They should run $65 +/- .Each.Toby

Old 12-09-2007 | 10:03 AM
harleyb
4th Gear

The Andrews EV 27 is a great bolt in cam.

Don't mill the heads, it's an anwarrented expense.
Use a Cometic .020" base gasket, and Cometic MLS .030" head gasket.
This will bump the CR up half a point (9.5-1) and reduce the quench to .030".
This works very well with the EV27 and other cams with up to 250 degrees duration.
Get your cylinder studs from S&S. Use a drop of green loctite, and tighten to the proper torque.
I run this setup on my 94 fxst. It works great, an is absolutely reliable.

Old 01-05-2008 | 03:04 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

You are going to like the Woods stuff Bob has his act together with that stuff. Stay away from the Screaming Eagle studs we've found they have a tendency to be loose in the cases. You might want to try Total Seal file fit Ggapless rings, they are great!! Be sure to post some numbers once you got some miles on it.