EVO All Evo Model Discussion

fxr drive belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:11 PM
gonesurfing
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fxr drive belt replacement

is there any tricks to replace my drivebelt without pulling tranny. i have 6 missing teeth on the belt. is it still safe to ride??i got quoted 600 for a indy to doit and have it done in one day.. i'm not worried about pulling the primary, clutch etc., its the swing arm/tranny part has me a little concened.another thin is i have major case of tendinitis in my right elbow(tennis elbow) so the pain working on it might get worse. what would you guys do. do it yourself or have the indy do it, and get my bike back in one day.. i think they quoted me 300 for labor plus parts..or can i do it in one day without killing my elbow????open for all inputs. thanx
P.S been reading this site for almost couple years and have learned alot from here so all your opinions are respected

Old 11-14-2007, 01:03 AM
zenon9
Intermediate
Default RE: fxr drive belt replacement

Read your manual first - there is no short cut -but it is hard - if you have been there before.

I am not sure about your bike - I havea 1985 FLHT- first time was a B---h
to get her done - pivot shaft had frozen - had not beenserviced by previous owner.
Soin Harley Class - we had to take a sawsall metal bladeto the shaft - it was a bear.
Shaft needs to be lubricated periodically.

Well - To answeryour question:

1. To me 600 is a littleon the high side
2. If the pivot shaft is frozen - plus parts can be quite costly.
3. If the pivot shaft is not frozen -I would think at least a friend with some experience in doing that
typebelt exchange might be advised.
4. Belt should run around 200 I think
5. New Gaskets and several quarts of primary fluid.

The JOB - Give yourself a weekor several full days.
1. Support the transmission.
2. Remove the rear wheel.
3. Remove the outer and inner primary
3. Remove the swing arm -
just to get the Belt ON - but that's the REAL
4. Changefront pulley (at least )and check your transmission seal
5. Reverse all of the above.

Now the shop might give you a 90 day warranty

But if you do it and it is not right -You get to do it again - but then again-that suppose to be the fun part.

Some time I go shop but mostof the time - I make time for me in shop - ( my garage).

When it comes to a Harley - TIMEor MONEY and sometimes BOTH

Good Luck - eitherway you go for it.

But- Let us know the - REAL

Swing Arm

Old 11-14-2007, 05:27 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

go here. No, you do not need to pull your tranny.

Link: this link of the web site
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO R & R YOUR:

Old 11-14-2007, 06:59 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

You could probably ride it with six teeth missing just no wheelstands.with a bad elbow and no way to comfortabley take it apart.I would take it to a dealer.You really need a way to support the bike up where you can get at things.Good Luck

Old 11-16-2007, 04:26 PM
gonesurfing
5th Gear

thanx for the input guys.. i'll do it myself and a friend who can turn a wrench(he has no harley knowledge, but he can turn a wrench..i read the link for
www.motorcyclemetal.com and figured i need all the cash i have (work hasbeen reeeeal slow)and it shouldnt take longer than a day or 2. i'll let you guys know how it goes once i'm done. today i have to go buy the belt and gaskets. will post when finished.
thanx again

Old 11-16-2007, 09:19 PM
1yrb4hd
Banned Camp

Before you buy that belt consider a belt to chain conversion. If this was a chain you were having a issue with you could simply slip it on and not have to remove all that crap to get it straight.

This same thing just happened to me a couple week's back, while I had the bike torn down....I just kept going. It's became my winter project, redoing everything on the bike. I love my 89 and it'll be great to have her "like new" in a couple months.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:53 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

ORIGINAL: gonesurfing

thanx for the input guys.. i'll do it myself and a friend who can turn a wrench(he has no harley knowledge, but he can turn a wrench..i read the link for
www.motorcyclemetal.com and figured i need all the cash i have (work hasbeen reeeeal slow)and it shouldnt take longer than a day or 2. i'll let you guys know how it goes once i'm done. today i have to go buy the belt and gaskets. will post when finished.
thanx again
I think you might have misunderstood me. The link is different (This was about upgrading a FL 200-2001 only but I used my FXR for the photos). This is a how-to-do-it. As far as money goes, I made this page for another application. You can pick and choose which parts of the web page you need and disreguard the rest. It takes me at least one day to create a page and write it along with photographs. This was meant as a guide only and the same proceedure should be followed. ..H

Old 11-17-2007, 07:45 AM
gatorg
Intermediate

first i would ask how am i missing teeeth on belt LOOK AT EVERYTHING could have sharp teeth on other things

Old 11-22-2007, 11:48 AM
gonesurfing
5th Gear

well, shes done,, everything was fine pulley wise.. the belt was just getting old and the hole-shots i'm sure didnt help.. everything back together. 200 bucks for parts and gaskets and all day yesterday working on it..and sheson the roadagain.. thanx for all the inputs..time for a hole-shot..hehehehe
happy turkey day

Old 11-25-2007, 08:55 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

ok then, glad it worked out for you

Quick Reply: fxr drive belt replacement