EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Front end clunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Bama Harley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Front end clunk

I wasn't able to see where thethe mount wasbroken, but seems like I was able to see where the the metal part of themotor mount had been in contact with the bracket on the motor.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:38 PM
evilr
Stage II

Originally Posted by FatGuyOnABike
Not sure if it's related, but my '87 FLHTC clunked every time I hit the transition from the street to my driveway. This was with or without the brakes applied. I drained and replaced the fork oil as per the repair manual, and the clunk went away.
The old fork oil looked like flat Coca Cola.
evilr Newbie= doing front fork oil change on 1986 flhtc . Not enought info in Harley eBook. Front fairing is off, does radio etc.. have to come out or is their a way of putting oil from the bottom?? Just saw your post, do you mind telling me how you went about it.
evilRoy

Old 07-17-2011, 06:43 PM
ac72rat
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

same thing here added fork oil (30 weight) same problem,,,removed tube had broken damper rod, pretty simple system with lotsa possibilities, ure lucky if its just fork oil

Old 07-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

evilr,
You're doing it the hard way. The easy way: Raise front wheel off the ground. Open fork drains, drain oil. Put 1 screw back in. Other screw, replace temporarily with a fitting and a hose, other end of hose in container with the exact amount of fork oil. Remove schrader valve from your crash bar. Put hose over shrader valve. Suck on hose with vacuum pump, pulling the oil into your fork. Replace temporary fitting with plug. Do other fork.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:10 AM
evilr
Stage II

Thanks a lot for the info. I will do that. I am late in my answering you, To much on my plate. I cannot power up the rADIO IN MY 1986 FLHTC. iT'S a factory radio, would you know where the ground is for it. I fave a feeling that it's not grounded properly.
Like theysay up here North of the 49th,
MERCI BEAUCOUP

Old 09-04-2011, 07:36 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If the front motor mount is good, then fresh fork oil +1 ounce should fix your problem unless it's something really weird.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

I seriously doubt your radio problem is the ground. Those radios were not known for their longevity. However, the ground should be on the main connector going to the radio, then to the big common ground connection under the faring.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:55 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Take a jumper lead and go from a good ground to the radio case and see if it powers up. If not then start at the radio and work back through the power wires until the problem. If you have power at the radio then the problem is in the radio. Some of the early radios had a small fuse inside the radio, so you might want to check there too. Hope this helps.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:05 PM
shoemaker
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

FWIW. I experienced the clunking sound as well.When I changed the tires I had the front fork seals checked by my local Indy.
Turns out it was the left side pinch bolt that had broken causing the noise.The left side fork tube had vibrated out of the cap.One good pot hole and I may not have been posting this.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

Shoemaker, I had that happen to me in the Oklahoma Panhandle on my 79 FLH POS. Hit a pothole, heard a big "CLUNK", looked down and there was fork oil all over my left gas tank. I limped into Lamar with it like that. My wife still talks of that trip, and not in a good way.

Quick Reply: Front end clunk