EVO All Evo Model Discussion

evo motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 07:18 PM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: evo motor

its all about money. if i needed a rebuild and had the money id go with a 124 or bigger. as for power with the stock engine, with me and the old lady, both hitting the scales over 200 lbs. each, i have no problem going up hill without lugging. i have a cam, milled heads and a S&S super E.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:58 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: JBaker421

1. Put in an Andrews EV27 cam and new Torrington bearings. It's time to replace the stock bearings anyway so why not a cam while you have the stock one out. Replace lifters if they show any wear.

Will this cam fit my '99 evo???

So far my "performance mods" are:

-42mm Mikuni carb
-Increased air flow intake filter
-Screamin' eagle ignition module(good?), SE coil(good enough?), SE wires and SE spark plugs
-2 into 1 thunder-headers

That's it.. what else would you suggest in order to kick up the bikes pull??? And how much should I expect to put down for it ($)?

Thanks guys.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:35 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: mimo

1. Put in an Andrews EV27 cam and new Torrington bearings. It's time to replace the stock bearings anyway so why not a cam while you have the stock one out. Replace lifters if they show any wear.

-42mm Mikuni carb
-Screamin' eagle ignition module(good?), SE coil(good enough?), SE wires and SE spark plugs

That's it.. what else would you suggest in order to kick up the bikes pull??? And how much should I expect to put down for it ($)?

Thanks guys.
Hey, Mimo, You do know that simply replacing the filter isn't enough - you have to replace the whole housing for the air filter to improve the breathing. I'm sure you know that but I couldn't tell from the way you worded it. If the intake is restricted, nothing else much matters - it won't breathe.

If that is done and your Mikuni is jetted and set properly, it sounds to me like you're set.

Yep, an Andrews EV27 would be wonderful with that. I can't tell you a price but it seems, if I recall correctly, that it cost me about $650 to have mine done. That included the adjustable pushrods and labor. It also included new cam bearings (Torrington) but I didn't need new lifters. (Only had 5,000 miles on bike.) It also included rejetting the carb (again.)

That EV27 is hard to beat for all around riding. Still has great low end torque, just a mild lope at idle and pulls hard in the rpm range most of usactually ride in. I noticed a big seat-of-the-pants difference that I could feel.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:36 AM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: mimo

-42mm Mikuni carb

Thanks guys.
Hey, Mimo, You do know that simply replacing the filter isn't enough - you have to replace the whole housing for the air filter to improve the breathing. I'm sure you know that but I couldn't tell from the way you worded it. If the intake is restricted, nothing else much matters - it won't breathe.

If that is done and your Mikuni is jetted and set properly, it sounds to me like you're set.

Yep, an Andrews EV27 would be wonderful with that. I can't tell you a price but it seems, if I recall correctly, that it cost me about $650 to have mine done. That included the adjustable pushrods and labor. It also included new cam bearings (Torrington) but I didn't need new lifters. (Only had 5,000 miles on bike.) It also included rejetting the carb (again.)

That EV27 is hard to beat for all around riding. Still has great low end torque, just a mild lope at idle and pulls hard in the rpm range most of usactually ride in. I noticed a big seat-of-the-pants difference that I could feel.

Thank you brother, yes I follow... the breather is wide open, I have the tear drop air filter cover (the one that came stock on the CVO Deuces) and no back plastic cluster, just the fornt metal part so my filter is pretty much exposed. Thanks JB, I'll look into the cam's price.

Mimo.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: CNC

I have a 93 evo motor with 45000 mi. I've been kicking around the idea of ether rebuling my motor or buying a new bigger 96' or maybe bigger. What do you think?
You can take the evo & rebuild.Port,polish,high end cam,,,,,,,,,,,,,,& get 12horse.Alot cheaper too,& it will bring new life to the motor.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:14 PM
js124
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of selling a S&S 113 if you have any ineterst . That will wake it up and save a lot vs new .