EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Curious starter issue, 98 FXDWG

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 08:24 AM
Rains2much
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default Curious starter issue, 98 FXDWG

My buddies bike started make a grinding clanking sound when starting. Not a whine like a starter clutch. I fully expected to find a chewed up jack shaft and ring gear. Instead I see NO wear, no sign of anything wrong. Everything is clean and looks to be working as it should. The jack shaft assembly looks perfect and operates as it should. Bike has 9,000 original miles on it.

Any similar experiences? I’m inclined to replace the starter clutch just to replace the starter clutch.. any suggestions?

Last edited by Rains2much; Yesterday at 08:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Racepres (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 09:24 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rains2much
My buddies bike started make a grinding clanking sound when starting. Not a whine like a starter clutch. I fully expected to find a chewed up jack shaft and ring gear. Instead I see NO wear, no sign of anything wrong. Everything is clean and looks to be working as it should. The jack shaft assembly looks perfect and operates as it should. Bike has 9,000 original miles on it.

Any similar experiences? I’m inclined to replace the starter clutch just to replace the starter clutch.. any suggestions?
My $.02...If all looks Good...you are thinking the way I would..Gotta start someplace...as it prolly wont Heal Up!!!

Old Yesterday | 11:19 AM
Trumpet
Road Captain

Have the battery load tested before you throw parts at it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Trumpet:
Racepres (Yesterday), SparkyD (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 11:28 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

The grinding sound is that of the starter clutch starting to fail.. It could be a weak battery as mentioned but the clutch may be going out. When it fails completely it will whine.

The following 2 users liked this post by Max Headflow:
pgreer (Yesterday), Racepres (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 06:14 PM
Rains2much
|
Stellar HDF Member

It’s not the starter clutch that I can tell.. For whatever reason the starters main shaft gear teeth broke at the tip. Super weird the slivers are clean brakes accross the entire length of the teeth. Whatever made it not want to spin that broke those teeth I’m leaving undetermined and just putting a new starter in. The half opposite the starter where the clutch is spins smoothly and shows no wear. Just weird.

Last edited by Rains2much; Yesterday at 06:15 PM.
Old Yesterday | 08:06 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

It’s not the starter clutch that I can tell.. For whatever reason the starters main shaft gear teeth broke at the tip. Super weird the slivers are clean brakes accross the entire length of the teeth. Whatever made it not want to spin that broke those teeth I’m leaving undetermined and just putting a new starter in. The half opposite the starter where the clutch is spins smoothly and shows no wear. Just weird.
Never seen that one!! But...I try to source O.E. used even..they are generally Rebuildable..
I gotta ask...What Battery you got in that thing???? Thinking it would take some ***, to break them teeth!!!

Old Yesterday | 08:15 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Need pics.

Old Yesterday | 09:53 PM
Dano523
HDF Community Team
Community Team

https://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche...davidsonmc/283

Would pull the starter apart to give it a once over, cleaning and greasing, parts replacements as as needed, since clutch and pinon gear and some small parts, a lot cheaper than replacing the entire clutch, but would also check the comp to make sure it tight and not worn out as well.

My guess to blow a row of pinion gear teeth, clutch packed up with crap, skipped an engagement once pinion gear engaged the clutch housing ring gear, and what caused the pinon tooth row to be snapped off.
Note, did a write up a while back, on how you can pull apart the starter one way clutch, to clean its parts up to make rebuilding one for a few dollars at most, a lot cheaper than having to buy a new starter clutch instead.

Last edited by Dano523; Yesterday at 09:55 PM.
Old Today | 08:08 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member

Compensator?

Old Today | 08:59 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dano523

https://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche...davidsonmc/283

Would pull the starter apart to give it a once over, cleaning and greasing, parts replacements as as needed, since clutch and pinon gear and some small parts, a lot cheaper than replacing the entire clutch, but would also check the comp to make sure it tight and not worn out as well.

My guess to blow a row of pinion gear teeth, clutch packed up with crap, skipped an engagement once pinion gear engaged the clutch housing ring gear, and what caused the pinon tooth row to be snapped off.
Note, did a write up a while back, on how you can pull apart the starter one way clutch, to clean its parts up to make rebuilding one for a few dollars at most, a lot cheaper than having to buy a new starter clutch instead.
I read it again...and I still see, "starter motor teeth Broken" But..I have had reading comprehension problems in the Past!

Quick Reply: Curious starter issue, 98 FXDWG