EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Excessive Engine Vibration or Normal?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 12:40 PM
Lando Evo
|
Novice

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
But with a rigid mount motor, I remember that hot setup was to balance towards 60%. Going lighter pistons will bring the balance factor closer to 60%.

FWIW I wonder if pick up in vibes resulted from the motor having a higher compression ratio and it's making more power. Also since the combustion efficiency has increased, the motor needs less timing.
How could I test this less timing the easiest? Retard the ignition some? That would be clockwise right? I'm almost all the way clockwise actually. Got a little room still...

Last edited by Lando Evo; Yesterday at 12:43 PM.
Old Yesterday | 01:40 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Lando Evo
How could I test this less timing the easiest? Retard the ignition some? That would be clockwise right? I'm almost all the way clockwise actually. Got a little room still...
Counter clock-wise retards.

Max, the few I measured were late 80' and early 90's they were 60% All 45 degree engines will vibrate to some degree at some rpm range. 60% gives the tightest range and is smoothest overall, according to the Indian designers who went strictly by trial and error... over and over til they got it. The factor is only relevant to the moving parts - power to the parts has nothing to do with it.

Old Yesterday | 01:50 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Make sure all engine mounting fasteners are installed and torqued, top and bottom.

Transmission mounts also.

The following users liked this post:
Racepres (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 02:47 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by t150vej
Counter clock-wise retards.

Max, the few I measured were late 80' and early 90's they were 60% All 45 degree engines will vibrate to some degree at some rpm range. 60% gives the tightest range and is smoothest overall, according to the Indian designers who went strictly by trial and error... over and over til they got it. The factor is only relevant to the moving parts - power to the parts has nothing to do with it.
I've not checked any evos. The TCs were set to 53% My SnS113 EVO motor was set to something like 52% The pans and early sportsters were at something like 55%.. One thing to note that that you can't balance a motor the point where it won't vibrate. Even with counter rotating balancers.. When close the imbalance vector looks like a rounded triangle. As the RPMs go up so does the magnitude of the vector.. What you can do is lower the amount of vibration by redirecting some of the balance in line with the frame on a solid mount motor. As far as I can figure rubber mounts like lower 50s..

I'll agree that power has nothing to do with balance factor but it has a lot to do with vibration when transmitting power.

Add:

This guy has a good discussion.

http://www.brufnut.de/SS100/ENGINE/C...nk_balance.htm

This a another one but single cylinder..

https://motochassis.com/Articles/Eng...ineBalance.pdf

Last edited by Max Headflow; Yesterday at 03:06 PM.
Old Yesterday | 03:14 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

We balance everything we do - and racing you lower the number to the short 50s as you want the balance to come in at hi RPMs like road racing that we did with buells

street hot rods the old man at S&S was bolted on street strokers equal weight wheels the most used numbers were 60 percent big twin

doing a military hang and backing it up to what is done up to evo - dont care about Twinkies that’s a cand]adian thing goggling over Twinkies

57 percent was the old ideas but they did not have hi ways we now have even flat side motors were set around 57 percent from the motor company unequal wheels one heavy one lighter and both heavier then the evo set ether side

S&S wheels are equal weight both sides and 60 percent is what is recommended - does it work yea for street manners

the issue i see from what you have answered — you said your timing with a ultima ignition is almost all the way clockwise - that would be are 47 or 48 degrees of timing — hi compression to keep it from SPARK KNOCKING and i believe that is your vibration issue

while it has more power your wallet is not going to trashed by that use of timing - we even if the the day when egos were all the rage let one go like you have

it didn’t work then and wont now - have some one in the know tune it to LAST with what you have and be happy with that

Old Yesterday | 05:28 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team

Just dawned on reading johns post, if it's turned near all the way clockwise, I wonder if you timed it on the wrong stroke. Yeah, that'll make some serious vibration.

Go back and make sure you're on compression stroke of the front cylinder when you find the line.

Racepres (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 06:03 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Just dawned on reading johns post, if it's turned near all the way clockwise, I wonder if you timed it on the wrong stroke. Yeah, that'll make some serious vibration.

Go back and make sure you're on compression stroke of the front cylinder when you find the line.
Happens so Very Often!!!
BTW all the way clockwise would be alot of Advance if timed on correct cylinder...Me Thinks
Mine would Kick back on the starter if I did that...But...I have Zero dead revs!
FWIW all the way counter clockwise..(severely Retarded) would generate exhaust heat...Fast!!!

t150vej (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 06:56 PM
Lando Evo
|
Novice

I have twice. Piston was coming up and only down in spark plug hole like an inch. On the flywheel I saw 1 dot, then 2 dots, then the line. Set timing when the red light just turned off going clockwise. Locked it down. Then had serious rattle can sound at higher rpms when I got on it. Right now she loving 50 pilot 195 main and turned CW a little more but my gas mileage is ****. Reserve comes in at about 100 miles. 4.2 gal tank I ride it hard though.

Last edited by Lando Evo; Yesterday at 06:58 PM.
Old Yesterday | 07:02 PM
Lando Evo
|
Novice

Originally Posted by Racepres
Happens so Very Often!!!
BTW all the way clockwise would be alot of Advance if timed on correct cylinder...Me Thinks
Mine would Kick back on the starter if I did that...But...I have Zero dead revs!
FWIW all the way counter clockwise..(severely Retarded) would generate exhaust heat...Fast!!!
I have zero dead revs also. Here's a Pic of the position currently.

Old Yesterday | 07:04 PM
Lando Evo
|
Novice

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
We balance everything we do - and racing you lower the number to the short 50s as you want the balance to come in at hi RPMs like road racing that we did with buells

street hot rods the old man at S&S was bolted on street strokers equal weight wheels the most used numbers were 60 percent big twin

doing a military hang and backing it up to what is done up to evo - dont care about Twinkies that’s a cand]adian thing goggling over Twinkies

57 percent was the old ideas but they did not have hi ways we now have even flat side motors were set around 57 percent from the motor company unequal wheels one heavy one lighter and both heavier then the evo set ether side

S&S wheels are equal weight both sides and 60 percent is what is recommended - does it work yea for street manners

the issue i see from what you have answered — you said your timing with a ultima ignition is almost all the way clockwise - that would be are 47 or 48 degrees of timing — hi compression to keep it from SPARK KNOCKING and i believe that is your vibration issue

while it has more power your wallet is not going to trashed by that use of timing - we even if the the day when egos were all the rage let one go like you have

it didn’t work then and wont now - have some one in the know tune it to LAST with what you have and be happy with that
**** almost all the way CCW. My bad damn lol

Last edited by Lando Evo; Yesterday at 07:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Excessive Engine Vibration or Normal?