EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Primary oil being sucked into the crankcase

Search this Thread

Old Today | 03:57 PM
Ohio HD
Road Master
Received 722 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumerguy
Yes I am checking the primary oil and the crankcase oil. The primary goes down and the crankcase oil goes up. 2+2 still equals four. The transmission oil is unaffected.
Then the main shaft seal on the crankshaft is bad, and or the sprocket spacer has a groove worn in it, or the seal is installed backwards. Oil can only go through one place from the primary, and that's the seal, or only a slight chance of the mentioned stator wire screws.

So it's safe to assume the old motor didn't ever do this until recently?

The following 2 users liked this post by Ohio HD:
djl (Today), t150vej (Today)
Old Today | 03:58 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,833 Likes on 1,190 Posts

I suspect you feel like you're being ganged up on and not being able to do your own work makes it even worse. Believe me, no one here intends to offend.

I've dealt with your precise issue many times and trust me, there's no way for primary fluid to get into the engine oil except past that seal. If the bearing spacer isn't replaced at the same time it will most likely fail.

The bearing spacer is N/A but Eastern MC Parts offers one available thru most aftermarket sources. Don't use the Jims version. 24008-95

Use the OEM seal only, no Cometic, James or other brands. 12026B

PS: I've tried sanding out any indication of a wear line and it doesn't work. It makes the OD too small to seal. I've tried and gotten bit several times so I just replace them anymore.

Last edited by t150vej; Today at 04:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by t150vej:
djl (Today), Rains2much (Today)
Old Today | 04:14 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,360 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Curious if the engine is sucking oil into it, why is the cap blowing off?

Usually it blows oil into the primary.

Old Today | 04:27 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Rounders
Curious if the engine is sucking oil into it, why is the cap blowing off?

Usually it blows oil into the primary.
When they suck so much primary fluid to overfill the oil tank, the vent is obstructed.

They usually do push oil into primary but it can go the other way sometimes. No idea why, but a new seal and spacer is always the fix.

The following users liked this post:
Grumerguy (Today)
Old Today | 04:43 PM
Grumerguy
|
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now you're talking! I will bring that up to my mechanic. One other thing. The oil level in the primary goes down to a certain Level and stays there. It does not run completely dry. There is always some oil left in there so where ever the oil is escaping is above where the oil Level ends up! At one point last year, I took a run sponsored by the local harley dealership. It was a 200 mile run called rumble in the canyon. It was extremely hot that day. Temps over 100 degrees. Close to the end of that grueling run, my alternator went out! It was my first time attempting a repair myself, and it was the reason and last time I was able to do any repair work on my bike. I had to replace both the stator and the rotor inside the primary and the voltage regulator outside the primary. All of the magnets inside the rotor had come loose and had bunched up on one side. I guess the glue that held the magnets in place just couldn't handle the heat. Anyway, that's not important. Everything went together without any issues. When I pulled the primary cover, I found a low oil situation inside the primary. I didn't measure how much oil came out but it most definitely wasn't anywhere near what was supposed to be in there. So this issue had been going on for sometime. It was only when I replaced the rotor, stator and voltage regulator that I discovered it. Fast forward to this year. I had the alternator go out again. I took my beloved bike to a local mechanic here because the dealership here really screwed me around when I had an issue and thought that was the best place to have repairs done. They not only couldn't do the repair I asked for, but they also lied about why they couldn't and they kept my bike for almost three months so needless to say I will never use that dealership for repairs ever again. But that's another very long story. When my mechanic repaired my alternator, he found exactly the same problem I had repaired a year earlier. Magnets in the rotor had bunched up on one side of the rotor just like before! They also found a low oil condition inside the primary cover. He did an excellent job on the repair, but I still had the same issue. Primary oil migrating from the primary into the engine and ending up in the crankcase. The transmission was unaffected. So this problem had been going one for some time. Footnote here. The engine had been rebuilt by the local dealership sometime before I purchased the bike. When my mechanic had decided to replace the seal in the engine, he found that it had been installed backwards and that had to be done by the dealership! Another reason I won't use them. It was also old and brittle. We felt like that would fix it but it didn't. So after a new engine, which I am very happy with, we are still trying to figure out what is happening. Sorry for the long winded response but I'm trying to be thorough as to where I am with this issue. Thanks if you read all of this.

Old Today | 05:31 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team

That seal from the factory, and by the book is installed with the spring side out, which looks backward to most people.

Some guys have a problem with engine oil going into primary and intentionally put the seal in backward (which looks right) with the spring to the inside to make it work.

You've been through the mill with the stator and such. A new spacer with the seal installed correctly will take care of it.

Grumerguy (Today)
Old Today | 05:36 PM
Grumerguy
|
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for your response! I will bring this up to my mechanic. I'm optimistic with this solution. It seems to be the correct direction. I will post the outcome after the repair. Crossing my fingers!

t150vej (Today)
Old Today | 06:14 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,360 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumerguy
Now you're talking! I will bring that up to my mechanic. One other thing. The oil level in the primary goes down to a certain Level and stays there. It does not run completely dry. There is always some oil left in there so where ever the oil is escaping is above where the oil Level ends up! At one point last year, I took a run sponsored by the local harley dealership. It was a 200 mile run called rumble in the canyon. It was extremely hot that day. Temps over 100 degrees. Close to the end of that grueling run, my alternator went out! It was my first time attempting a repair myself, and it was the reason and last time I was able to do any repair work on my bike. I had to replace both the stator and the rotor inside the primary and the voltage regulator outside the primary. All of the magnets inside the rotor had come loose and had bunched up on one side. I guess the glue that held the magnets in place just couldn't handle the heat. Anyway, that's not important. Everything went together without any issues. When I pulled the primary cover, I found a low oil situation inside the primary. I didn't measure how much oil came out but it most definitely wasn't anywhere near what was supposed to be in there. So this issue had been going on for sometime. It was only when I replaced the rotor, stator and voltage regulator that I discovered it. Fast forward to this year. I had the alternator go out again. I took my beloved bike to a local mechanic here because the dealership here really screwed me around when I had an issue and thought that was the best place to have repairs done. They not only couldn't do the repair I asked for, but they also lied about why they couldn't and they kept my bike for almost three months so needless to say I will never use that dealership for repairs ever again. But that's another very long story. When my mechanic repaired my alternator, he found exactly the same problem I had repaired a year earlier. Magnets in the rotor had bunched up on one side of the rotor just like before! They also found a low oil condition inside the primary cover. He did an excellent job on the repair, but I still had the same issue. Primary oil migrating from the primary into the engine and ending up in the crankcase. The transmission was unaffected. So this problem had been going one for some time. Footnote here. The engine had been rebuilt by the local dealership sometime before I purchased the bike. When my mechanic had decided to replace the seal in the engine, he found that it had been installed backwards and that had to be done by the dealership! Another reason I won't use them. It was also old and brittle. We felt like that would fix it but it didn't. So after a new engine, which I am very happy with, we are still trying to figure out what is happening. Sorry for the long winded response but I'm trying to be thorough as to where I am with this issue. Thanks if you read all of this.
If it hasn't timed out, editing this post and just hitting return once in awhile would make it easier to read. making it easier to read will get you more help.

Old Today | 06:25 PM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 260 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by t150vej
I suspect you feel like you're being ganged up on and not being able to do your own work makes it even worse. Believe me, no one here intends to offend.

I've dealt with your precise issue many times and trust me, there's no way for primary fluid to get into the engine oil except past that seal. If the bearing spacer isn't replaced at the same time it will most likely fail.

The bearing spacer is N/A but Eastern MC Parts offers one available thru most aftermarket sources. Don't use the Jims version. 24008-95

Use the OEM seal only, no Cometic, James or other brands. 12026B

PS: I've tried sanding out any indication of a wear line and it doesn't work. It makes the OD too small to seal. I've tried and gotten bit several times so I just replace them anymore.
Amazing how saying it twice worked.. LOL..

Griz