EVO All Evo Model Discussion

97 Ultra Classic Question

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM
Meastly
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Ultra Classic Question

I noticed after a ride a few days ago that the rear swing arm on my 97 Ultra Classic was cracked, I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get a new one, or what models/years are compatible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM
Dano523
HDF Community Team
Received 563 Likes on 393 Posts

Photo would help, but if cracked the top or bottom axle adjustment slots, too easy to weld in some top and bottom gussets plates to fix the swing arm and have it stronger than before.

as for HD 47549-97 swing arm,
can find them used still, but before installing it, since you cracked last swing arm, would still weld in the extra top and bottom support guesset plates to strength it as well. If crack up back up at the pivot axle that goes through the trans, then really need to deal with the rear shocks (at least change the fluid in them), since not only did you bottom out the shocks hard enough, but enough tension on the swing are to transfer that all the way back up the swing arm to cause the crack way back up there..

Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM
Meastly
Novice

It is cracked completely through on the bottom side of the axle adjustment slot, and partially on the top of the slot on the same side. I thought about trying to have someone weld it back together and welding plates on as well, but wasn't sure if that was a smart idea.

Old Today, 07:22 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Go to HD website, OEM parts finder and get a part # for your year bike then head over to the Bay and find what you need. Good luck.

Old Today, 07:44 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,382 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Wish I woulda seen this Much Earlier...Coulda sent one back from Bowling Green KY to Penn. with friends!!!

Old Today, 10:37 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,819 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by Meastly
I noticed after a ride a few days ago that the rear swing arm on my 97 Ultra Classic was cracked, I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get a new one, or what models/years are compatible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
1997-1998 any Touring model including Road King, Road Glide, all FLH Part# 47549-97

I wouldn't weld that one if you intend to ride it. Good time to convert to bearings, you wouldn't believe the difference in handling unless you did it or rode one already converted. Regardless, use OEM only swing arm isolators 47564-86B

If searching ebay, Pinwall in Ohio is good source for used touring parts and very honest with description and photos. Good people to deal with.

Just a quick search, they're rather few and expensive. Good luck

The following 2 users liked this post by t150vej:
chrisflhtc (Today), Sportfisher23 (Today)
Old Today, 12:57 PM
Meastly
Novice

Originally Posted by t150vej
1997-1998 any Touring model including Road King, Road Glide, all FLH Part# 47549-97

I wouldn't weld that one if you intend to ride it. Good time to convert to bearings, you wouldn't believe the difference in handling unless you did it or rode one already converted. Regardless, use OEM only swing arm isolators 47564-86B

If searching ebay, Pinwall in Ohio is good source for used touring parts and very honest with description and photos. Good people to deal with.

Just a quick search, they're rather few and expensive. Good luck
Being that this winter I am planning to tear the bike down and go over it all, I will probably replace it, rather than weld it. What is all involved in converting to bearings? If it is something worth doing, now sounds like the time to do it.

Old Today, 01:10 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,819 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by Meastly
Being that this winter I am planning to tear the bike down and go over it all, I will probably replace it, rather than weld it. What is all involved in converting to bearings? If it is something worth doing, now sounds like the time to do it.
With the swingarm off, you're 75% there. Press or drive out the rubber bushings and press or drive the bearings in. The only trick is to be sure the inner bearing (or spacer depending on which kit) fits snug to the transmission abutment, otherwise you will not be happy with the results.

The kits went up terribly some years ago. Some guys built their own (?). The kit you want is the CCI or Dew mfg kit. You can buy either without the pivot axle and save a ton of $$. Dont cheap out with the delron kits and or the bushing inserts. Snake oil you won't be happy using those on a Dresser..

Even if you decide not, always replace the swingarm isolators about every 50k and again, always use OEM only.