EVO All Evo Model Discussion

97 Ultra Classic Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2024 | 11:49 AM
blumi
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by t150vej
1997-1998 any Touring model including Road King, Road Glide, all FLH Part# 47549-97

I wouldn't weld that one if you intend to ride it. Good time to convert to bearings, you wouldn't believe the difference in handling unless you did it or rode one already converted. Regardless, use OEM only swing arm isolators 47564-86B

If searching ebay, Pinwall in Ohio is good source for used touring parts and very honest with description and photos. Good people to deal with.

Just a quick search, they're rather few and expensive. Good luck

Aloha,

what's the difference between the swing arm isolators OEM 47564-86B and aftermarket parts?

Old 10-04-2024 | 12:31 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,829 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Originally Posted by blumi
Aloha,

what's the difference between the swing arm isolators OEM 47564-86B and aftermarket parts?
Consistent quality of materials.

They basically hold the rear of the bike to the front of the bike, why take a chance on junk parts.

The following users liked this post:
blumi (10-06-2024)
Old 10-04-2024 | 12:55 PM
blumi
Cruiser

Ok, make sense.
But I wasn't aware about the bad quality from the aftermarket parts.
Based on the actually quality at Harley over all, I'm not pretty sure their replacement parts have a good quality.
But i try to get a pair of OEM parts.
My requirements to parts wich are 5-6 times more expensive than aftermarket is verry high.
If I get the same bad quality for much more money, I would be verry disappointed.
I have ordered the Alloy Art swing arm bushing kit,
That should support the isolator mounts.
In combination with the OEM mounts it should improve the stability.
I'm excited to mount them and about the result.

Last edited by blumi; 10-04-2024 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-04-2024 | 01:47 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,829 Likes on 1,187 Posts

That bushing kit says it's for 2011-up?

Pays to shop and if you're not in the continental US, and sometimes if you are, getting genuine parts, especially for an Evo can be difficult.

Old 10-04-2024 | 01:52 PM
blumi
Cruiser

Sorry, was the wrong link.
I ordered the right ones for my Evo.
I ordered them directly at Alloy Art.
I orderd the spherical bearing kit too.

Last edited by blumi; 10-04-2024 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-04-2024 | 06:45 PM
Dano523
HDF Community Team
Received 572 Likes on 401 Posts

Your going to have problems ,since the slot in the rubber is for the later/after market type side plates,

While your side plates only have the small roll pin for this type bushing to index correctly,

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/gRsAA...d/s-l1600.webp

So find someone that can lathe you up two buttons that you can press on the side plate roll pins, to get them to the correct width, so the slot type side bushing detents does fit to the side plate pis correctly/indexes the bushing to side plate correctly.

Last edited by Dano523; 10-04-2024 at 06:46 PM.
blumi (10-06-2024)
Old 10-06-2024 | 06:16 AM
blumi
Cruiser

Thanks for this information.
I have access to an lathe and I'm able to use it as an educated mechanic.

Old Today | 07:30 AM
Dano523
HDF Community Team
Received 572 Likes on 401 Posts

No worries, and the press on buttons can be round (don't need to be oblong), and just center drill them so they can be pressed onto the roll pins,and round in OD so they fill the rubber bumpers slots the full way sideways, so the rubber isolators are both indexed correctly to side plates both sides.

I bring this up,since when I do the spherical bearing upgrade on my swing arm, the kit came with the later slot type rubbers (instead of earler type pin channels), and had to do the same to use them as well.

As for drive line alignment tools, have a Gorges set that works very well.
https://www.georges-garage.com/produ...lignment-tool/

And since I went with the progressive stabilizer link, after my delrin inserts that I made on the lathe caused too much frame vibration.

Came up with right side tool washers mod, to that side alignment too worked with the progressive plate as well.

Note, maybe with our green inserts made of poly, will not the vibration transfer problem to the frame that I had with them made of delrin.
Hence sta-bo used to make then out of delrin as well, but switch over to poly as well to reduce the the amount of drive line vibration to the frame through them.

And just a note, but the kit only comes with the green poly inserts and silver insert spacers, not the rubber isolators.
https://www.alloyart.com/collections...ement-bushings

With luck, your stock axle shaft will be long enough to work with the spacers that are going to push the end nuts out father, than if just seated against inside face of rubber isolators if not installing the Custom Cycle Engineering Spherical Bearing and Pivot Shaft Update kit Part #1302-0208 that has the longer axle shaft as well.

Last edited by Dano523; Today at 07:42 AM.
blumi (Today)
Old Today | 11:49 AM
blumi
Cruiser

Aloha Dano,

thanks for the tip with the alignment tool.
Ordered it directly. Shipping to Switzerland isn't cheap but I'm a tooloholic

On the other hand, the bike was that cheap, ther is enough space for parts and tools.
When I see the boys with their new, expensive bikes and the problems they have, I laugh so hard my belly hurts.
Since I work on my motorcycles and cars myself, I know who made them and who is responsible if something goes wrong.
I have no trust to the repair shops after several bad experiances in the past when I was young.
If you wanna have it right, do it your own.

I have the touring link also installed.
But I guess its time to make right setup with all the parts to get my expected contentment.
Inbetween the shaft update kit has arrived also the Goodn Tite parts.

To be continued...