EVO All Evo Model Discussion

fuel in crank case, diagnose help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2024, 10:41 AM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,406 Likes on 1,581 Posts

If you turn your petcock off, before you turn the engine off you will not get fuel past the petcock. Do not depend on the vacuum diaphram. I have seeb floats stick and puddles of fuel on the ground vacuum and non vacuum petcocks.
Serious question - If the bike is running well, why rebuild the CV?

Old 08-05-2024, 12:39 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigwillie
i parts for the rebuild are in the mail, its been years since the carb has been off so i will do a rebuilt its quick and easy. i has working on my garage and starting the bike pulling it into the driveway and turn the bike off, i prolly did this 10 times over a period of 2 weeks, so if the float needle was dirty the fuel could dump into the engine. Then when i start it the next day the carb bowl fills and it happens again over and over.
Oh, OK. I misunderstood how/when it may have loaded up.

One thing though - rest assured, the diaphragm can leak in a way it will put fuel into the engine and totally bypass the carb. I have first hand experience with that.

I did wonder, wanted to ask - is there any small children there that maybe saw daddy putting gas in the mower and thought the oil cap on the bike was where gas needed to go? Things like that happen you know.

Old 08-06-2024, 12:51 AM
Bigwillie
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TSheff
If you turn your petcock off, before you turn the engine off you will not get fuel past the petcock. Do not depend on the vacuum diaphram. I have seeb floats stick and puddles of fuel on the ground vacuum and non vacuum petcocks.
Serious question - If the bike is running well, why rebuild the CV?
the petcock is working normally\

Old 08-06-2024, 07:14 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,340 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by t150vej
Oh, OK. I misunderstood how/when it may have loaded up.

One thing though - rest assured, the diaphragm can leak in a way it will put fuel into the engine and totally bypass the carb. I have first hand experience with that.

I did wonder, wanted to ask - is there any small children there that maybe saw daddy putting gas in the mower and thought the oil cap on the bike was where gas needed to go? Things like that happen you know.
Makes more sense to me than "looked in the Crankcase"

Old 08-06-2024, 12:08 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,406 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Originally Posted by t150vej
Reminds me of a story about my mechanically inclined uncle as a boy. He watched the neighbor kids pour water in the gas tank of a lawn mower and when their Dad tried to start it and couldn't, he sold it to my uncle for $2. Uncle drained the tank, cleaned the card, and started mowing lawns.

The following users liked this post:
t150vej (08-12-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 02:58 PM
Bigwillie
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TSheff
Reminds me of a story about my mechanically inclined uncle as a boy. He watched the neighbor kids pour water in the gas tank of a lawn mower and when their Dad tried to start it and couldn't, he sold it to my uncle for $2. Uncle drained the tank, cleaned the card, and started mowing lawns.
i changed the oil in all 3 holes about 1 hour ago. i will rebuild the carb when the part arrive.
i will never sell the bike.

Sportfisher23 (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 04:49 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 23,958 Likes on 7,852 Posts

Buy a Golan or a Pingel petcock, and throw that vacuum operated junk in the trash. They have a poor reputation for a reason...

The following 3 users liked this post by Tommy C:
Sportfisher23 (08-06-2024), TSheff (08-12-2024), WP50 (08-09-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 07:36 PM
Sportfisher23
Advanced
Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

O man, my issue from a couple of years ago, I think I am all ironed out.
I went to check my primary oil level at the derby cover. Expected it to be low. Instead came gushing out. Gasoline !! I think I parked the bike with the petcock ON. But I am obsessive about turning it off. Oh well. Gasoline in the primary, through the petcock, float valve intake, piston rings, in the crank case and out the sprocket shaft seal. Did all that and leaky trans seals.

After 2 years of sitting I took the petcock off, cleaned the rust dust off the screen and little pipes. Bike idles ok, good to 20 - 30 mph, a little starved when cracking the throttle but takes off. I want to drop the bowl and clean the passages to be sure. I still have the old butterfly carb.

Good Luck!

Old 08-07-2024, 02:33 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportfisher23
O man, my issue from a couple of years ago, I think I am all ironed out.
I went to check my primary oil level at the derby cover. Expected it to be low. Instead came gushing out. Gasoline !! I think I parked the bike with the petcock ON. But I am obsessive about turning it off. Oh well. Gasoline in the primary, through the petcock, float valve intake, piston rings, in the crank case and out the sprocket shaft seal. Did all that and leaky trans seals.

After 2 years of sitting I took the petcock off, cleaned the rust dust off the screen and little pipes. Bike idles ok, good to 20 - 30 mph, a little starved when cracking the throttle but takes off. I want to drop the bowl and clean the passages to be sure. I still have the old butterfly carb.

Good Luck!
Every butterfly carb HD put on an Evo had an overflow. Float chamber get overfull and it's run out on the ground. Was yours stopped up?

TSheff (08-12-2024)