EVO All Evo Model Discussion

fuel in crank case, diagnose help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2024, 11:59 AM
Bigwillie
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
Your bike is 29 years old so if the following parts mentioned have not been replaced in the past couple of years, then do so!

Get a new non vacuum operated petcock and get in the habit of turning it off when you stop riding for any length of time. Replace fuel line from petcock to carb and replace vacuum line from carb to VOES if either of the hoses is more than a few years old. Don't forget the 3/16" bottom of the tank crossover fuel line (line that goes from one side of tank to the other).

Give the carb a good once over cleaning, replace the float needle. Make sure you get the correct (duplicate needle) float needle. Should be a 4 sided float needle. Get a OEM float needle if you can find, CV Performance if you can't. Consider new carb to manifold and intake seals just because of age. Could probably wait on the intake manifold seals till winter if not familiar with changing them. (do some homework on how to)

Clean the seat the float needle sits in. Use some polishing compound on a Q-tip to clean up the seat as it is not replaceable. Spin Q-tip with fingers and make sure it's shiny and clean. Use carb spray to clean the residual polishing compound. Check float height-this is tricky and there is a specific way of doing it.

https://cv-performance.com/carburetor-parts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6y32Gw5HK4

Your bike will not sump oil into the crankcase because the oil tank is lower than the oil pump and oil pump check valve. So the amount of oil in your crankcase is minimal at best. Your oil is getting fuel diluted by either an overly rich condition or the float/needle is leaking fuel into the engine. Check your spark plugs for an overly rich condition and change your oil/filter to get the diluted fuel out.
i put the fuel line from the petcock into a container and turned on the valve all night and not a drop leaked as of this morning. i already ordered a carb kit from cv performance to change the needle and gaskets. i also bought the brass nipple for the fuel line ,i will upgrade it since its apart.

its funny because i also have a 1996 springer and i just rebuilt that carb about 2 weeks ago..
\thank you for your advise.

Old 08-04-2024, 12:31 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,340 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigwillie
don't you check your oil?
Hot...Like it says on the Tank!! That don't mean summer only!!
I still wonder how you check the oil in your Crankcase??

Old 08-04-2024, 01:03 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Never a bad idea to keep a carb kit around but...

If you're sure it didn't leak out the petcock, thru neither the fuel line nor the vacuum hose, then where did the fuel come from that filled up the oil pan - thru the carburetor you're about to rebuild?

Old 08-04-2024, 01:26 PM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 256 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigwillie
the petcock is vacuum actuated, even if its on gas will not flow unless the motor is running, that is the purpose if it.

thanks
If you remove the petcock and tape a quarter to it, at least you'll have lost something when you toss it in the trash..
They're always causing issues.

Griz

The following users liked this post:
Tommy C (08-04-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 01:34 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,406 Likes on 1,581 Posts

I'm in such a habit of turning of the petcock (50 uears worth), I often reach down on other bikes, like my EFI TC Ultra, then I just smile to myself.
I hate vacuum operated petcocks and usually replace them.

Last note, when I have an issue and ask a question, I try to understand the answers given and follow the logic, as well as learning who the sources of the feedback are. After all, they are trying to help and most often speaking from experience, Their bike is not the one with the problem.

The following 4 users liked this post by TSheff:
86glider (08-04-2024), Racepres (08-04-2024), t150vej (08-04-2024), Tommy C (08-04-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 10:06 PM
PeterB
Road Master
Received 923 Likes on 417 Posts

Could have been a small bit of crud stuck under the diaphragm in the petcock or float needle. Or as already posted, could be a hole in the diaphragm allowing fuel to dribble down the vacuum line into the manifold. I eliminated the vacuum diaphragm on mine for this reason. It is just more EPA mandated unnecessary complication. Just remember to always turn the petcock off when not riding. The vacuum shut off is not to be relied upon.

TSheff (08-04-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 09:14 AM
Bigwillie
Road Master

Originally Posted by t150vej
Never a bad idea to keep a carb kit around but...

If you're sure it didn't leak out the petcock, thru neither the fuel line nor the vacuum hose, then where did the fuel come from that filled up the oil pan - thru the carburetor you're about to rebuild?

i parts for the rebuild are in the mail, its been years since the carb has been off so i will do a rebuilt its quick and easy. i has working on my garage and starting the bike pulling it into the driveway and turn the bike off, i prolly did this 10 times over a period of 2 weeks, so if the float needle was dirty the fuel could dump into the engine. Then when i start it the next day the carb bowl fills and it happens again over and over.

Old 08-05-2024, 09:16 AM
Bigwillie
Road Master

Originally Posted by PeterB
Could have been a small bit of crud stuck under the diaphragm in the petcock or float needle. Or as already posted, could be a hole in the diaphragm allowing fuel to dribble down the vacuum line into the manifold. I eliminated the vacuum diaphragm on mine for this reason. It is just more EPA mandated unnecessary complication. Just remember to always turn the petcock off when not riding. The vacuum shut off is not to be relied upon.
its my understanding that if the diaphragm fails gas will not leak

Old 08-05-2024, 09:18 AM
Bigwillie
Road Master

Originally Posted by IBDAGRIZ
If you remove the petcock and tape a quarter to it, at least you'll have lost something when you toss it in the trash..
They're always causing issues.

Griz
its not the petcock, thanks

Old 08-05-2024, 09:20 AM
Bigwillie
Road Master

Originally Posted by TSheff
I'm in such a habit of turning of the petcock (50 uears worth), I often reach down on other bikes, like my EFI TC Ultra, then I just smile to myself.
I hate vacuum operated petcocks and usually replace them.

Last note, when I have an issue and ask a question, I try to understand the answers given and follow the logic, as well as learning who the sources of the feedback are. After all, they are trying to help and most often speaking from experience, Their bike is not the one with the problem.
i try to be respectful and thank everyone for the advice. thanks

TSheff (08-05-2024)

Quick Reply: fuel in crank case, diagnose help?