EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Making Love Jugs work on Evo Softail

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2024, 07:14 AM
Rains2much
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,687 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by Greaser1340
Id probably go the route of a front mount oil cooler instead if you havent already got one hooked up?
I do.. and it’s not too bad, not fan assisted though. When oil gets up to say 240ish, I can ride 3-4 minutes and it drops to 200-210, so it works when you’re moving.

Old 07-05-2024, 08:07 AM
GBHH
Road Master
Received 603 Likes on 324 Posts

You have a nice springer there, I wouldn't be messing with it and hanging doo dads on.
I like stock, would be leary of spot-cooling.
IMHO you want to drag, and take on the dragon, you might be ready for a Ducati as a second bike.
Don't think you would be disappointed.
The exhaust note alone, worth the price

Old 07-05-2024, 09:17 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 980 Posts

Back on topic, I had read about those coolers in the past. They are also called parade coolers, but I can see their value on the return road after a run. They say that location picks up a hole in the cooling fins that leads to the other side, so air can flow over the whole combustion chamber. I do think the top of the combustion chamber and spark plug are the hottest areas, not the cylinder. Good luck, post some drag strip videos when you get it going.

The following 2 users liked this post by Joe12RK:
Architect (07-06-2024), eighteight (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 09:50 AM
Rains2much
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
Back on topic, I had read about those coolers in the past. They are also called parade coolers, but I can see their value on the return road after a run. They say that location picks up a hole in the cooling fins that leads to the other side, so air can flow over the whole combustion chamber. I do think the top of the combustion chamber and spark plug are the hottest areas, not the cylinder. Good luck, post some drag strip videos when you get it going.
Will do.. big regret of mine was in my youth in Hot Street class I had bata tape recordings of some of my races. Quit a few 11 second passes and they are gone forever. I had a lot of footage of me playing in different bands and all that is gone too. Both my parents and myself moved a lot in the late 90’s and early 2000’s and somehow my big bin of vhs & Bata tapes are just gone. I don’t have many highschool years stuff either. Sad..

I’ll look into “parade coolers”

Old 07-05-2024, 10:02 AM
Rains2much
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by GBHH
You have a nice springer there, I wouldn't be messing with it and hanging doo dads on.
I like stock, would be leary of spot-cooling.
IMHO you want to drag, and take on the dragon, you might be ready for a Ducati as a second bike.
Don't think you would be disappointed.
The exhaust note alone, worth the price
“Harley Davidson” isn’t really Harley Davidson to me. It’s not about the company or it’s heritage while I do appreciate that. To me it’s my youth impressions.. it’s about Hot Rods. I’m a vintage only kinda hot rods and muscle car guy. If I were a billionaire I still wouldn’t own a modern super car… soulless empty manufactured nothings to me. I marvel at the engineering and respect what they can do… but give me a 49 Merc or a 69 fastback big block car any day. Harley Davidson just happens to be the Hot Rod motorcycle that connects with me. Sure a cafe racer Triumph or Royal Enfield is cool… but give me a hardtail Harley and that’s the definition of hot rod Motorcycle to me.

When someone says Harley Davidson out loud… My mind doesn’t flash to a picture of some M8 Bagger… No Harley Davidson immediately brings my 70 hardtail Shovel followed by pre 57 pans..last my Springer Softail. It’s about individuality, SOUL, Ingenuity, expression and power. Any Harley I’ve ever owned has gotten Stroked, lightened, back cut gears, big obnoxious pistons, big obnoxious cams.. I rode a 900rr and a 650 nighthawk S in high school and shortly after… I’ll never go back to a crotch rocket. I respect them, happy they are their for others… but think of them all as a parking lot of mini vans.. do really care which one, they’re all the same.

My springer is a 127 balanced blueprinted and personally assembled motor that’s worth more than the bike is worth original. I’ve modified everything, shaved 38 lbs and upgraded everything I could. Zero interest in stock. The only … and I mean only bikes I’d leave stock is an all original pan, knuck or maybe very special shovel… other than that it’s fair game, and if it’s mine it better be hot rodded . Truth is I’m building another motor.. and when done the 127 will go on the road king.. that’s just how I roll. I’ll never own a fuel injected bike… and if you have to plug in a lap top to go fast… might as well give up riding and start reading poetry and stamp collecting.

Last edited by Rains2much; 07-05-2024 at 10:07 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rains2much:
Muskrat21 (07-05-2024), SpringerSoftail2020 (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 11:04 AM
blackjeep
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 47 Posts

Tell us how you REALLY feel. Lol. Thumbs up. Ride it like you stole it!

The following users liked this post:
Rains2much (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 01:57 PM
SpringerSoftail2020
HDF Community Team
Received 134 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Rains2much
“Harley Davidson” isn’t really Harley Davidson to me. It’s not about the company or it’s heritage while I do appreciate that. To me it’s my youth impressions.. it’s about Hot Rods. I’m a vintage only kinda hot rods and muscle car guy. If I were a billionaire I still wouldn’t own a modern super car… soulless empty manufactured nothings to me. I marvel at the engineering and respect what they can do… but give me a 49 Merc or a 69 fastback big block car any day. Harley Davidson just happens to be the Hot Rod motorcycle that connects with me. Sure a cafe racer Triumph or Royal Enfield is cool… but give me a hardtail Harley and that’s the definition of hot rod Motorcycle to me.

When someone says Harley Davidson out loud… My mind doesn’t flash to a picture of some M8 Bagger… No Harley Davidson immediately brings my 70 hardtail Shovel followed by pre 57 pans..last my Springer Softail. It’s about individuality, SOUL, Ingenuity, expression and power. Any Harley I’ve ever owned has gotten Stroked, lightened, back cut gears, big obnoxious pistons, big obnoxious cams.. I rode a 900rr and a 650 nighthawk S in high school and shortly after… I’ll never go back to a crotch rocket. I respect them, happy they are their for others… but think of them all as a parking lot of mini vans.. do really care which one, they’re all the same.

My springer is a 127 balanced blueprinted and personally assembled motor that’s worth more than the bike is worth original. I’ve modified everything, shaved 38 lbs and upgraded everything I could. Zero interest in stock. The only … and I mean only bikes I’d leave stock is an all original pan, knuck or maybe very special shovel… other than that it’s fair game, and if it’s mine it better be hot rodded . Truth is I’m building another motor.. and when done the 127 will go on the road king.. that’s just how I roll. I’ll never own a fuel injected bike… and if you have to plug in a lap top to go fast… might as well give up riding and start reading poetry and stamp collecting.

I like your post. I am much the same—I appreciate the older in cars, truck, and motorcycles. Though I am more of a stock guy. Regardless, it is your bike/car and you should do what you want with it.

As an aside, Sose from Demons Row interviewed a old leader of the Angels (60s-70s guy), and he said, the only reason we rode Harley’s was not because it was Harley-Davidson, it was because it was made in the USA, and we loved the USA. I thought that was interesting.

The following users liked this post:
Rains2much (07-05-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 09:26 PM
Dano523
HDF Community Team
Received 569 Likes on 397 Posts

My take, would run with fan driven oil cooler to start with since going to be more effective than the fans just pushing air, and if you are drag strip running the bike, then water mist injector (or meth kit if combustion pressure is high enough to justify the higher octane lever over pump fuel) may be the next step as well.

Hence meth kits does two thing, being meth to increase octane rating to push timing so you don't run into detonation problems, and the water in the cylinders that helps with coiling/does turn to steam on the ignition to gain more power on the down stroke as well.

Food for thought,
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...injection.html

Old 07-07-2024, 08:07 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,795 Likes on 893 Posts

Seen the results from meth injection, tattooed adults riding bicycles around town with no teeth.

Do have experience with running a 10.8 compressioned 127" on the street, it can be done but the engine heat, hot starts and replacing starter clutch's changed my mind, understand your search for cooling the monster down because streetable is on the edge. Pulled it back to 10.2, mild port work, softer S&S 640 cam being very dependable on the street, the 10 row Jagg keeps it in check on heat now and still runs well for a big bike with a doughnut eating rider.

Last edited by 1997bagger; 07-07-2024 at 08:11 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1997bagger:
Rains2much (07-07-2024), Spanners39 (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 08:29 AM
Rains2much
Stellar HDF Member

I ran 13:1-11.87:1 mechanical compression in Shovels on the street for 30 years… I understand compromise and trade offs. I appreciate the well intended folks who warn me and act like I’m going into a territory of dangerous up keep and compromised reliability… what they don’t understand is that for me this is the most reliable bike I’ve ever owned lol. My norm is owning and riding 20k a year on bikes that got ring jobs every winter… bikes I adjusted valves on every oil change or 500 miles, whatever came first. Heck.. this is the first personal bike I’ve ever owned that didn’t have solid lifters. I’m a guy who rode a 57 hardtail with a 12:1 93” shovel from Ohio to Daytona straight through… then got up the next day and rode to the keys and back… two days later rode straight through back to Ohio. I adjusted my valves 3 times during the trip.

I’m ok with my 127 on the street.

Last edited by Rains2much; 07-07-2024 at 08:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rains2much:
98hotrodfatboy (07-07-2024), Joe12RK (07-07-2024)

Quick Reply: Making Love Jugs work on Evo Softail