EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Muffler Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 01:45 AM
DarkKnight1963
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Muffler Replacement

After a recent incident, with the bike being dumped (not by me, long story... won't go into it here), seems that the muffler on the left side got messed up and needs replacing. Naturally, since it's a '90 (FLHS), it's "obsolete". So was curious if anyone had any suggestions of where to look for replacement.

So far I've tried JP Cycles and even ChopperCycle... but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

Thanks!

Old 08-31-2007, 04:15 AM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Muffler Replacement

www.bikerbobshd.com has the following listed for the left side 87-ALL FLT ('87 to '90 in the parts manual FLT)

65538-85::HD
65538-85
MUFFLER, CHROME, LH - 4.000"
$172.00
Sale: $137.60
Save: $34.40 off

65539-85::HD
65539-85
MUFFLER ASSY CHROME, RH
$112.22
Sale: $89.78
Save: $22.44 off

Interesting that the left side cost more than the right, you may want to email them and find out more,
maybe the 65538-85/65539-85 are not the ones you are looking for.

You can get aftermarket set from somewhere like Dennis Kirk, and if you were really looking for cheap you could try the 5" Boomcans from Dennis Kirk in their clearance section for about $80.00 a set. I have a set here, my first set did not last, I had something set up wrong and they broke near the flange. I put the stock back on and purchased another set of Boomcans while they still had them but afraid to put them on until I figure out what went wrong the last time. I am also considering switching to a newer exhaust system.

Some where in one of the online classified sections, I saw a fellow had a complete exhaust system for a 2003 Ultra for about $50.00 plus shipping, and I read that if you change everything you can install a newer exhaust system, likewise they claim that if you cut off the flange you can use any slip on muffler for '96 and up. The tough part is finding the muffler you like, some suggest the Supertrapp are good with adjustable sound level, but a lot of guys like the Reinhart exhaust, especially the true dual. I like the unique sound of the evo with Boomcans, but admit others look better, just wished I knew what caused mine to break out. Selecting a different muffler is probably one of the toughest decisions to make for me.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:37 AM
DarkKnight1963
Cruiser

Thanks Joe, I appreciate it. I'll look into those.

Yeah, I noticed that in any situation, there's a difference on price. I can't understand that... but I guess that's just the nature of the beast!

In any case, I appreciate the info!

Old 08-31-2007, 12:01 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.jirehcycles.com

Old 09-01-2007, 01:52 AM
DarkKnight1963
Cruiser

Thanks MP. I gotta say, when I got the bike, the Mrs told me "now you've joined the Harley family, and they'll always treat you right..", she said that HD folks always take care of their own, and I have to agree. Thanks again.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:56 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You might consider the Kerker bagger mufflers with the Mikuni baffles. I've often read they do very well performance-wise on baggers.
The important thing is to keep that '90 FLHS on the road. You can spend a lot of money on it and still be money ahead compared to buying a new bike. Plus, what guy with an Evo would want one of these screwed-up designed-by-bean counters Twin Cams anyway? When I see the ridiculous new 6 sp tranny with helical cut gears that somehow manages to be far noisier than our old straight cut 5 speeds; and putting weak bearings on the spocket end of the crankshaft; and eliminating the outside bearings on the camshafts- yeah, NO BEARINGS on the outside support plate, the cams just spin in soft aluminum holes in the plate; 240 degree oil temps are acceptable??????? and on and on...........Well, I just thank God I bought an Evo when I did.
Sorry about the rant.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:20 AM
91ultra
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Within the past 6 months I've bought 2 sets of used OEM mufflers with the correct P/N's for my '91 Ultra from eBay. One set was to keep stock, the other set was going to get the baffles removed. Both sets look used, but certainly nice enough to be seen with. They match the "patina" of my well kept bike perfectly. When I got the second set, the baffles had already been removed, and that's the set I'm running now. I prefer the OEM look to anything aftermarket because the OD of the original mufflers islarger, beefier, than anything I've seen so far for aftermarket choices. Also, with the baffles removed, which don't amount to a whole lot anyway, the sound is just right, which for me, must be ignorable on longer rides. I had some aftermarket turn out mufflers that were annoying after a half an hour or so. The baffled set will only be used if I have a problemwith getting the bike inspected, which is becoming stricter, even for Harleys, even inMaine. I got both sets for around $50-60 per set including shipping. If this idea interests you, my advice would be to look very closely atthe pictures on eBay. I passed up on 2-3 sets. Just a reminder,the OEM mufflers are not identical, there is a left and a right due to an indentation at theaxle.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:36 AM
DarkKnight1963
Cruiser

Thanks much. I have yet to find my mufflers on Ebay, but it doesn't hurt to keep an eye out.

As for running my 90 FLHS compared to some of the TC work out there right now? Not even a close call. I prefer the look, the sound, the whole experience of my "oldster" to what's sitting on the showroom floor now. But I appreciate the info as well. I'll look into those, sound's like a decent "upgrade" as it were.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:57 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Screw the OEM, and get yourself a set of SuperTrapps (that's what I run on my 93 FLHS)or other slipons.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:35 AM
DarkKnight1963
Cruiser

Hackd, any links to those SuperTrapps? I'm willing to check any and all suggestions out.

Quick Reply: Muffler Replacement