EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Progressive Monotube Fork Cartridge kit...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2024, 08:30 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,466 Likes on 3,643 Posts
Default Progressive Monotube Fork Cartridge kit...

Anyone ever use the 31-2503 drop in cartridge found here,
Progressive Suspension 31-2503 Monotube Fork Cartridge Kit https://a.co/d/574nXMQ
I'd like to know how they compare to stock and if they're any good, pros/cons... Thanks..

Old 06-09-2024, 03:29 AM
Dano523
HDF Community Team
Received 568 Likes on 396 Posts

Just keep in mind, gas charged and very limited amount of oil in them, so when it time to change the fork oil or rebuild them, they will need to be sent back in.
Also notice only Lifetime Limited Warranty, so when it comes to rebuild them, its going to be an extra cost, including shipping them in and getting them back.
Plus notice that no Time/mileage amount before rebuild is listed, so they could need to be rebuilt every 20K.

So for the cost, would rather run Gold valves is you want more than just oil weight adjustable (full kit with springs), since with them in play ,can still do a fork rebuild yourself in the end ($80 in parts for both forks including fork oil), and running a lot more fork oil in the tubes so longer periods before you need to change the fork oil/ rebuild the forks as well. I bring this up, since parts are cheap enough to just rebuild the HD factory shocks every 30k, and for me, oem forks work just fine with 15w oil in them, 10w oil in the rear air shocks.

So to conclude, the question you should be asking, how someone likes them over factory forks with 15w oil, as well as 20K mile later, and if they needed to be rebuilt come that time since ride has changed. The other question, how much is it going to cost to rebuild them, when the time comes.

And to add, that is just the inserts themselves that replaces the guts of the forks, but you will still need to change out the slider bushings and seal in the forks and grease the parts with silicone grease (wear items that you really want to replace every 30K), when the inserts are being rebuilt or installed.

Skip to 14:00 for the slider bushings replacements, and notice that progressive does not mention to change these during installs of there inserts, while only stating to run 5oz of fork oil in the tubes outside the inserts, to keep the the tubes and sliders lubed in the first place. Hence the slider bushing are teflon plated, and once the teflon has worn out, time to change them before they start to mar the tubes. (and will need seal knocker to reinstall the slider bushing and top seal).

Last edited by Dano523; 06-09-2024 at 03:48 AM.
Old 06-09-2024, 08:35 AM
MotorSeven
Cruiser
Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

I had them installed on my '99 since the OEM suspension was shot(also replaced the rear shocks). Only 5K on them, but so far I like, but I can't speak for longevity yet.

Old 06-09-2024, 08:50 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MotorSeven
I had them installed on my '99 since the OEM suspension was shot(also replaced the rear shocks). Only 5K on them, but so far I like, but I can't speak for longevity yet.
@MotorSeven
Did you notice a change in handling and ride..? Firmer or softer over stock? Thanks..

Old 06-09-2024, 08:55 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

@Dano523
I get the whole idea however how many people rebuild the rears as compared to replacing and upgrading..
This is just another form of maintenance with hopefully an upgrade in ride quality..
And the way I understand it is that the bushings are still necessary for the support of the cartridge hence the 5 oz of oil..
Myself I prefer the upgrade but thank you for the info..

Old 06-09-2024, 09:58 AM
Trumpet
Road Captain
Received 411 Likes on 256 Posts

I put a set in my 08 ultra. Night and day handling difference. Much more planted in the curves, more compliant on rough pavement and much less dive on moderate and heavy braking.

Liked them enough that I'm looking to figure out which will fit my dyna, as progressive doesn't have a direct fit monotube p\n for my bike. Also fit their 490 shocks to the rear, big difference as well.

Last edited by Trumpet; 06-09-2024 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-09-2024, 10:21 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Trumpet
I put a set in my 08 ultra. Night and day handling difference. Much more planted in the curves, more compliant on rough pavement and much less dive on moderate and heavy braking.

Liked them enough that I'm looking to figure out which will fit my dyna, as progressive doesn't have a direct fit monotube p\n for my bike. Also fit their 490 shocks to the rear, big difference as well.
Thank you, exactly what I was looking for.. Ride safe man..

Old 06-09-2024, 06:00 PM
MotorSeven
Cruiser
Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
@MotorSeven
Did you notice a change in handling and ride..? Firmer or softer over stock? Thanks..
When I bought it the oem air rears were clapped out. Front was taking bumps harsh. The bike was not snappy in the curves, but I later learned it was the shitty Shinko front that contributed to that issue. I am a moderately aggressive rider, and the suspension is now firm but responsive which is what I wanted. For the $1400 installed, I am happy.

The following 2 users liked this post by MotorSeven:
98hotrodfatboy (06-09-2024), Goose_NC (06-19-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 06:44 PM
Ozzie John
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Not to Highjack the post but a big coincidence as I just picked up on some old research I was doing as I'm looking at the possibility of fitting a set of cartridges to my 1986 FXWG, has anyone done this?

Old 06-09-2024, 07:29 PM
Trumpet
Road Captain
Received 411 Likes on 256 Posts

Ozzie John, I've been banging away at this for awhile. I'm upgrading my 97 fork legs to 2005 then plan on adding progressives 2005 fxwdg monotubes to that. Other than cartridge length, and overall bike weight there's not a lot of apparent difference.

I'm pulling the parts together as found to do this over the winter. As the bike came to me with acctronix trees and 'lifetime' fork legs.

The other option is to call Racetech, they will build a custom set to your spec. That is my strong second choice.

Last edited by Trumpet; 06-09-2024 at 07:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Progressive Monotube Fork Cartridge kit...