EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1987 FLHTC Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2024, 09:20 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,318 Likes on 6,129 Posts

Seat looks like it was made for that bike. Glad you got that fender squared away too.

The following users liked this post:
JG321 (08-29-2024)
Old 09-17-2024, 09:38 AM
JG321
Advanced
Received 82 Likes on 30 Posts

Not a whole lot of progress to report. Still just waiting on the engine to be finished. In the meantime, worked on getting the bags fitted. Left side bag went on with no issues. right side bag I trimmed the original lower bracket. Had to cut the battery box off, as well as the extra protection bar that runs up to the mount by the seat. Then the lower mount just bolted back into the OEM spot. the bags are the '93-'13 model bags, and I bought some used '96 upper mounting brackets. They are a little different than the '87 mounting brackets, but they attach at the same spot on the frame so I was able to use them without any modification.

had to open the outer fairing back up, was testing out the electrical and the right speaker wasn't working. The handlebar controls also aren't working. I checked all my grounds and everything is good there so I'm not really sure where my issue lies. Going to wait until the engine is in and every electrical connection is complete before I really start digging into it though. Don't want to waste my time chasing an issue that could potentially be resolved when the rest of the system is hooked up.

The following 4 users liked this post by JG321:
98hotrodfatboy (09-17-2024), Architect (09-17-2024), s-glide76 (09-17-2024), Spanners39 (09-18-2024)
Old 09-20-2024, 07:35 AM
Rains2much
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,657 Likes on 794 Posts

Personally, I’m a Chrome junkie. But the craftsmanship and attention to detail in your build is top-notch. It’s going to be a very sleek modernized looking bike.

JG321 (09-20-2024)
Old 09-20-2024, 09:22 AM
JG321
Advanced
Received 82 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Rains2much
Personally, I’m a Chrome junkie. But the craftsmanship and attention to detail in your build is top-notch. It’s going to be a very sleek modernized looking bike.
Appreciate the kind words! Lots of learning and planning has gone into this, so it's nice to hear some praise for that. With as much as I have modernized the bike, I am trying to keep a few things, like the gas tank, to bring it back to the correct era. I also am thinking I'll have the paint done up something like this to place it back in that late 80's era a little more too. It'll be a nice blend of old and new.

I think my aversion to chrome comes from my age. Being just shy of 30, I grew up in the era when most chrome was nothing more than cheap plastic parts. I have already decided (and my wife is already over my ****) that my next bike is going to be a chrome beauty though. I also just have a strong preference for black and red. Here's a picture of my daily driver. You can see a common theme.

Rains2much (Today)
Old Today, 07:25 AM
Rains2much
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,657 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by JG321
Appreciate the kind words! Lots of learning and planning has gone into this, so it's nice to hear some praise for that. With as much as I have modernized the bike, I am trying to keep a few things, like the gas tank, to bring it back to the correct era. I also am thinking I'll have the paint done up something like this to place it back in that late 80's era a little more too. It'll be a nice blend of old and new.

I think my aversion to chrome comes from my age. Being just shy of 30, I grew up in the era when most chrome was nothing more than cheap plastic parts. I have already decided (and my wife is already over my ****) that my next bike is going to be a chrome beauty though. I also just have a strong preference for black and red. Here's a picture of my daily driver. You can see a common theme.

I’m 53… But subconsciously I still think like I’m 20 something lol. I mean that in the sense of my ideas and acceptance of pop culture, what is cool and un-cool is sorta froze in time. The majority of my close friends and the couples my wife and I do things with are in the mid 30’s. But there is a line drawn with some things like music. Social issues that our age differences expose. Don’t take this wrong.. it’s meaningless and I only share for the context of our chat.. in my generation the blacked out meant plastic, metric, Jap bikes or people who could only afford spray paint instead of new parts..lol. But that’s changed. The blacked out is defiantly the style.. even sophistication of the day. Us chrome guys probably seem dated.

I ride a lot with Super bikes and Sport bikes. The super bike guys all started out one color blacked out like Hyabussa’s, CBR1000rr’s… Thruxton’s…. But one by one they are slowly switching to Harley.. some classic others the bait was the blacked out Sportster S and Nightster bikes. Just last night I was a brewery… the same brewery we were all together just a year earlier. Last year it was a Hyabussa two Thruxton’s, a cbr650 and my springer… someone pulled up a pic of us. This year it’s the exact same guys… but it was my Springer, a Sportster S, a Nightster, a Dynaglide and a 1300 Kawl thing… it was amazing seeing the transformation. These were guys who hated and made fun of Harley… all 30 something. Now the blacked out bikes were the Segway for them to change.

Last edited by Rains2much; Today at 07:28 AM.