EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Primary chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 12:32 PM
TPost
Cruiser
Received 90 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Primary chain tensioner

Anyone running a automatic primary chain tensioner? Any feed back. I was thinking of putting one on my bike. I'm thinking Hayden Enterprises may be out of business. they don't answer the phone, mailbox is full.
I found a tensioner from York. Not sure if they're any good. Any inputs. Thanks. Todd

The following users liked this post:
fonzie56 (05-05-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 05:31 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Seems all the typical outlets are out of stock for all Hayden stuff so, I've no idea what's up with them. I bought some springs several years ago and never got a phone call answered but did get a call shortly after an email I'd sent. Another forum member in Sweden claims to have gotten a return email somewhat recently.

And, 99% of complaints about Hayden adjusters are from TC riders. But they are constantly having compensator/adjuster problems regardless of the manufacturer... My M6 is 150,000 miles old, original shoe, replaced the springs once - just because. Best money I ever spent for an aftermarket part on a bike.

Never had or known anyone with a York or other copycat unit. If you go that route, be sure you get the correct version for your year model. the ads are very vague and deceiving.

One last thing, there's nothing wrong with the factory adjuster if you remove the whole primary cover and do a correct adjustment, measuring at 4 or more spots and set it at the tight spot. (but I do love my M6)

The following 3 users liked this post by t150vej:
86glider (05-12-2023), brakeless (05-04-2023), guido4198 (05-12-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 08:18 AM
FLHRinFL
Cruiser
Received 291 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by t150vej
Seems all the typical outlets are out of stock for all Hayden stuff so, I've no idea what's up with them. I bought some springs several years ago and never got a phone call answered but did get a call shortly after an email I'd sent. Another forum member in Sweden claims to have gotten a return email somewhat recently.

And, 99% of complaints about Hayden adjusters are from TC riders. But they are constantly having compensator/adjuster problems regardless of the manufacturer... My M6 is 150,000 miles old, original shoe, replaced the springs once - just because. Best money I ever spent for an aftermarket part on a bike.

Never had or known anyone with a York or other copycat unit. If you go that route, be sure you get the correct version for your year model. the ads are very vague and deceiving.

One last thing, there's nothing wrong with the factory adjuster if you remove the whole primary cover and do a correct adjustment, measuring at 4 or more spots and set it at the tight spot. (but I do love my M6)

Mine has performed just like yours. 110,000 miles, original everything. I bought an extra shoe with the original purchase but I don't think I'll ever need it.

Old 05-05-2023, 08:32 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,353 Likes on 1,694 Posts

No Way I will Ever use a Spring as a Chain Tensioner... Watch a Video sometime... watch the Slap!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Racepres:
rocketnorton (05-05-2023), TwiZted Biker (05-05-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 11:27 AM
fonzie56
Advanced
Received 78 Likes on 27 Posts

Several weeks ago, I purchased a 96 Dyna FXDS Convertible. PO told me he had to rev the motor to find neutral. I ordered a hydraulic primary chain tensioner from J&P. When I opened up the primary, the chain was very loose. I installed my tensioner and did a clutch adjustment while I had it open. I have no issue finding neutral and the bike shifts fine. As far as longevity, I couldn't say. I used a Hayden on a twinkie in the mid 2000's. It seemed to work fine. I would also consider the HD automatic tensioner, but that's just me.

Old 05-05-2023, 11:41 AM
TPost
Cruiser
Received 90 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for your inputs. Was the unit you got from JP a York hydraulic one? BTW, beautiful Dyna!!! I would love to have one.

fonzie56 (05-06-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 07:59 PM
Ozzie John
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

There is a thread from last year here automatic primary chain tensioner - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums (hdforums.com) the York tensioner has an additional feature from the Hayden, being the two roll pins diagonally positioned either side of the top bolt. this prevents the front or outer guide plate from cocking towards the clutch from the rotating force of the chain, I modified the Hayden on my bike similarly but I used solid pins. I also put a larger diameter pin in the back or inner guide plate that then sits in the factory serrated adjustment plate so there is no way mine can shift from the vertical position. read the tread and my post. If fitted correctly the Hayden and I assume the York tensioner (as I only have used the Hayden) work great. a lot of guys, me included swear by them.
obviously the image i used is from the thread (Its an Indian engine) as i didn't have any images of my modifications and installation.

Last edited by Ozzie John; 05-05-2023 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:05 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
No Way I will Ever use a Spring as a Chain Tensioner... Watch a Video sometime... watch the Slap!!!
They won't believe you, throw a timing light on a primary chain with a Hayden at 2000 RPM and watch the pretty sine wave. They we junk in the shovel days.

Old 05-06-2023, 06:51 AM
1981 suprglide
Road Captain
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

had a york hydraulic chain tensioner for over 15 years no problem

Ozzie John (05-06-2023)
Old 05-06-2023, 07:36 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,353 Likes on 1,694 Posts

^^ I guess we should define "Problem"
I stand by..."Not for Me"
Edit; This is Wayyy out there,,,But I always use Extremes
Why does a Desmodromic Valve Train outperform regular Sprung valves???? If your answer is "it don't"...welp it dont matter, If it does...it is called Control

Last edited by Racepres; 05-06-2023 at 08:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Primary chain tensioner