EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Enrichner

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 01:56 PM
Calwoodbutcher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Enrichner

Okay, Evo riders with stock CV's. How long do you leave the enrichner out?

Old 08-20-2007, 02:07 PM
fmbeach
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Enrichner

Rarely use it except when it is very cold. I have a throttle lock that does the same thing without fouling plugs. Couple of twists, hit the starter, rev to 1000,lock the throttle and let it warm up a bit.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:09 PM
molsen
Road Master

I just use it to start the bike and throttle lock @ higher RPM and push it back in. The key is to let the bike warm up.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:54 PM
meveratt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I follow the manual. Seems to work best for me.

Mike

Old 08-20-2007, 11:04 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull out to start when cold, leave it out for about 1 minute while I ride, then close it all the way. Haven't had any problems with the Dyna doing this. Another story on my Sportster - had to follow the manual to the letter: 3 minutes full out, 1 minute half, otherwise it would spit, sputter and backfire.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:31 AM
uesque
Tourer

When did it stop being called a choke?

Old 08-21-2007, 08:35 AM
Calwoodbutcher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When it stopped being a choke. The enrichner adds fuel directly into the stream. It does not restrict air flow like a choke (hense the term choke). The reason I asked the question was due to over rich condition. Plugs really black and oil smelled a little like gas. I left the sucker on at work for about 5 minutes (left it idle while I went to take care of something) and was trying to attribute the condition to this action. I usually only leave it on for a minute max but was wondering what everyone else did. Thanks for the replies.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:18 AM
uesque
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Calwoodbutcher

When it stopped being a choke. The enrichner adds fuel directly into the stream. It does not restrict air flow like a choke (hense the term choke). The reason I asked the question was due to over rich condition. Plugs really black and oil smelled a little like gas. I left the sucker on at work for about 5 minutes (left it idle while I went to take care of something) and was trying to attribute the condition to this action. I usually only leave it on for a minute max but was wondering what everyone else did. Thanks for the replies.
Well that would explain it, mine still has a choke. But it will also foul the plugs if you leave it on for too long. I unknowingly had it all the way out one time, and the bike ran horrible, pumping out nasty black smoke. I hadn't used it at all until I fixed the high idle setting, now I just leave it on until the bike will run on its own without it, about a minute or two. And that's really only for my convenience, so I don't have to babysit the throttle. I need to get a throttle lock and then I wouldn't use it at all.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:06 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Reminds me of a Honda I had many moons ago. The linkage to the choke inside the carb came loose. No matter where I put the choke lever it was full-on. It would start cold and run great for a few minutes and die for the duration. Talk about frustration until I figured it out...

Old 08-21-2007, 01:20 PM
uesque
Tourer

Does the enrichener have the intermediate stops like the choke so you can only pull it out part way? Mine has three notches, but with a light touch you can set it anywhere in between also. I just use the first notch to minimize fouling.

Quick Reply: Enrichner