EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Small "tapping" or "clicking"

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007 | 10:29 AM
jbrd50
|
Intermediate
Default Small "tapping" or "clicking"

I'm not sure how to characterize this...I have a '90 FLHTP cop bike...Evo motor. At about 2100 RPM I get a little tapping, sort of like a lifter tap on a car. My buddy says it could be the horn mount, but it sounds like it's coming from the front, center area of the bike under the fuel tank. Is this normal, or can someone shed some light as to what it may be? It runs like a raped ape. Great acceleration, etc.
This is my first Harley, and maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but I'm very in tune with all the sounds I'm hearing coming from this bike, just can't figure this one out.It has had all HD services done to it on schedule. The last was a 30K service in which the drive belt and bttery were replaced. It now has a little over 32K now.
Any insight would be appreciated, thanks JayBird.

Old 08-19-2007 | 12:11 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Small "tapping" or "clicking"

Whatever the source the fuel tank might be acting as an amplifier. It could be a lifter. That would be my first guess. If you have access to a mechanic's stethoscope listen to the lifters. A cheap nurse's stethoscope works well. Pop the end off and insert a nail into the tube - instant mech's 'scope. You can also use a long-shanked screwdriver.

Old 08-19-2007 | 12:40 PM
jbrd50
|
Intermediate

thanks poco. Is is possible that a simple adjustment would remedy this? It did just have a service 2000 miles ago. JayBird

Old 08-19-2007 | 02:34 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

I'd check the exhaust pipe heat shields. They are held on by hose clamps that pass through a small 'belt loop' that has been spot welded to the shield. Very common for these to break loose, or for the hose clamp to break. This will cause thatmetallic ticking sound.

If nothing else is 'loose' its normal valvetrain noise.

Old 08-20-2007 | 07:37 PM
97wideglidenh
Intermediate

jbrd50, now just hear me out,,,If you can kneel down next to the bike,rev it up slowly, ,if you hear the ticking or rattle,, push on the battery cover,, mine was the scource of many a lost hrs of sleep for me after installing rocker rollers,adj,push rods,rejet carb,hyper charger,,,bla,bla,bla,,, the cover was just loose enough to rattle @ mid rpms and get me going nuts. i took mine off and put duck tape on the inside of the top cover,and front cover, road test and OOOHHHH YAAAAAAA , no tick,,,,,,,sounds nuts but it worked for me

Old 08-20-2007 | 10:51 PM
meveratt
Tourer

According to Donny Peterson, (he writes for American Iron) the front exhaust lifter is the most likely one to make noise, because the angle of the pushrod is greater than the other three. Anywho -- my 98 Dyna (same EVO engine as yours) makes the same noise at about 2000 rpm. I just did an oil change and checked the lifter screen -- both clean. (ie: no bits of metal in the oil) So -- I'd say the noise is probably normal and not worth worrying about.

Mike

Old 08-26-2007 | 05:32 AM
lonewolf57
Novice

Just a thought, I found 2 things on my 93 classic. The vacume advance thing (I forget what you call it) was loose in it's mount. I simply put some good quality silicone around it and let it dry overnight. The other thing was the shroud on the exhaust pipe on the front pipe in the area adjacent to the tranny.

Old 08-26-2007 | 08:34 AM
jhnmflr
Outstanding HDF Member

Ive actually had my front dash bolts loosen slightly and the spacers underneath rattled like hell . Agree with the previous , mechanics ears are the best tool in the world ( other than a bottle opener )

Old 08-26-2007 | 10:05 AM
KenM
Road Master

I had something similar and we used the screw driver to the ear method. Needle bearings in the lifter were on the way out. Changed them all and also the pushrods (adjustable)
Added a Andrews V27 cam and it runs great,

Old 08-27-2007 | 04:17 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member

It could be lots of things, including a failing lifter. Evo lifters are known to be weak (I've had two fail), so I would definitely check them out. It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace them even if they're still OK. Do not use new HD lifters. I used Crane replacements myself.