EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Oil flow within the motor.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 02:24 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts
Default Oil flow within the motor.

Correct me if I’m wrong: It’s my understanding that oil goes from the tank to the pump, through the engine, then through the filter before returning to the tank. Is that right? And it’s a straight run from the filter housing back to the tank, yes? It’s a ‘99 FXR2

I ask because I want to completely flush the engine when I switch to Syn after my top end break in. So all I’d have to do is remove the filter and let a quart or so pump out either running the starter or idling the bike. I have a 3guyz oil filter relocation kit which is mounted to the frame right down tube, so it would be simple to put a bucket under it to catch the spray.

I figure if I’m right about the routing, I’ll let it idle and add oil to the tank to compensate for what’s pumped out and after a quart I’ll have all the old oil gone.

I actually have no idea how fast oil flows through the filter, any idea at idle about how long a quart would take?

Last edited by Mchad; 07-09-2022 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:57 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,913 Likes on 1,428 Posts

There's only a few ounces in the block. And yes, that's how the oil flows on an Evo. Some guys get all **** and cut the bottom off of an oil filter, spin that on, bucket underneath, start and let run until clear new oil comes out. Most of us don't bother with it and personally, I think you're wasting your time and oil, but it's your time and oil.

The following users liked this post:
ChopperBill (07-10-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 03:13 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
There's only a few ounces in the block. And yes, that's how the oil flows on an Evo. Some guys get all **** and cut the bottom off of an oil filter, spin that on, bucket underneath, start and let run until clear new oil comes out. Most of us don't bother with it and personally, I think you're wasting your time and oil, but it's your time and oil.
Ordinarily I’d probably agree with you, but I did the top end 700 miles ago and am running conventional for the 1k recommended before I’ll switch back to Amsoil straight 60w Syn. I’m in SW Florida which for the next half a year is like riding on the surface of the sun (if it also had 99% humidity) so my OCD wants all the conventional oil out and pure synthetic which laughs at these temps. And like I said, I’m a little nuts, so…. Thanks for the confirmation.

Old 07-09-2022, 03:22 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,988 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Don't worry about it, little enough is left in the engine to worry about. If it bugs you that badly do the first change with cheap syn, give it a few hundred miles to flush everything then swap to the syn 3. Overkill, but I watched some folks OCD eat them alive over trivial stuff.

For what it's worth I ran dino 60wt in my my hard run hotrod shovels in midwest heat for years with zero issues, you want real piece of mind drop the multi weight crap when hot .

The following 2 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
Mchad (07-09-2022), WP50 (07-09-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 03:30 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Don't worry about it, little enough is left in the engine to worry about. If it bugs you that badly do the first change with cheap syn, give it a few hundred miles to flush everything then swap to the syn 3. Overkill, but I watched some folks OCD eat them alive over trivial stuff.

For what it's worth I ran dino 60wt in my my hard run hotrod shovels in midwest heat for years with zero issues, you want real piece of mind drop the multi weight crap when hot .
Amsoil Straight 60w is going in.

TwiZted Biker (07-09-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 03:46 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,870 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
And like I said, I’m a little nuts, so…. .
LOL Well Ok you said it .
Really though there won't be enough conventional oil to affect anything.
Even if you left a quart in it there's nothing it's gonna hurt.
Now changing the oil filter I think would be a good idea with the work you have done.

Have a good 1 Sir

WP

The following 2 users liked this post by WP50:
Mchad (07-09-2022), Stiggy (07-09-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 04:38 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,362 Likes on 5,501 Posts

Drain it fill it ride. You are more like to create a problem with the first plan than just change the oil an go.

Stiggy (07-09-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 06:18 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by WP50
LOL Well Ok you said it .
Really though there won't be enough conventional oil to affect anything.
Even if you left a quart in it there's nothing it's gonna hurt.
Now changing the oil filter I think would be a good idea with the work you have done.

Have a good 1 Sir

WP
No, clearly you don’t know the depths of my lunacy. I already:

filled with HD **** oil and new filter for initial 50 miles after top end.

changed at 50 to Bel Ray and filter.

changes at 500 with Bel Ray and filter.

so… a little nuts to say the least.

WP50 (07-09-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 05:44 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

This could be an option for you now and give you peace of mind without the hassle, every time you do an oil change I would think.
I really don't know anything about them or know anyone that has ever used one though.
https://roguechopper.com/

Last edited by IronAss; 07-10-2022 at 05:46 AM.
Old 07-10-2022, 06:24 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by IronAss
This could be an option for you now and give you peace of mind without the hassle, every time you do an oil change I would think.
I really don't know anything about them or know anyone that has ever used one though.
https://roguechopper.com/
https://youtu.be/MQWyjS9zpg4
I’ve seen that before. It’s basically a device that directs the oil from a fitting that goes on the filter housing to a hose. Same as what I’m planning, but since my bike has a filter relocation, it wouldn’t really buy me anything since all I’d have to do is remove the filter hold a container under it.

You can see it here.

Quick Reply: Oil flow within the motor.