EVO All Evo Model Discussion

FXD dreams

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2024, 06:52 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,433 Likes on 3,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Trumpet
Turned out they are/were custom chrome. Swapped earlier this year. I found and polished up a set of HD boxes. Turned out to be a very good thing I did. Once disassembled found they were cracked, and the towers were whored as well as most of the rocker arm bushings.

So HD boxes, and s&s rocker arms and shafts....solved a problem I would have been unaware of except for puckered chrome and a small oil seep.

So those were custom Chrome rocker assemblies? I've never seen the mounting tower crack like that.. Some things you just got to stick with OEM or S&S........

Old 08-08-2024, 07:21 AM
Trumpet
Road Captain
Received 398 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
So those were custom Chrome rocker assemblies? I've never seen the mounting tower crack like that.. Some things you just got to stick with OEM or S&S........
Only thing I can think of is bad casting. One of the other towers was cracked as well on the other base. Bolts were spec and came apart 'correctly' no apeing required. As to the damage where the rocker arms are, no idea either nor the rocker bushings. I pulled the screen and there was no debris, nor has any collected in the oil filter. Engine runs strong no noise or oil usage. It'll be one of life's mysteries for sure.

Buy and wrench on enough used bikes you'll see a lot, but there's always something new under the sun, for sure.

Old 08-08-2024, 10:55 AM
Trumpet
Road Captain

Man, I can't stress enough how important it is to thoroughly go thru a 'new' used bike. After even one owner, you never know what you'll find. My uneasiness with the forks was justified, the preload was barely set and the front trees literally fell off once things were loosened. GO THRU YOUR BIKE. Riding is dangerous enough without have your bike being a time bomb..... /rant

Glad I took this on. Glad i can afford decent tools for specific jobs. The Fast Eddy driver I picked up made quick work of removing the races, The George's installer made quick work of installing them. The old races were a bit notchy, lube was good though.

A few pics;

bottom race

top race

removed race

installed races

Race-less

prep

greased bearings in a zip lock, where the magic happens. Less Mess

The following users liked this post:
Tommy C (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 10:57 AM
Trumpet
Road Captain

Getting some leg, a how how how

98hotrodfatboy (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 04:01 PM
Trumpet
Road Captain

Gots some two step in the middle and the paving company finally showed up. I'm getting gassed in the gay-rage, **** stinks.

Lots of little steps. Happy with the outcome, even though the front fender doesn't quite line up. No biggie as I'm putting a 16 on once the parts come back from strip and powder coat. The '05 brake line up perfect as well, no shims needed.

a little soldering

16 i'd like to run

Old 08-08-2024, 04:37 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Looking good..I run the same front tire.. They hook up nice in the corners..

Old 08-08-2024, 06:06 PM
Trumpet
Road Captain

yes they do, and wear well too!

98hotrodfatboy (08-09-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 06:29 PM
Trumpet
Road Captain

Got out for a hour shakedown. Bike much nicer riding now. More planted and the vague wandering is gone, should have done this before I put her on the road. Future miles will be much more comfortable.

Got a 'new' 16 off fb marketplace, it'll polish up nice, and more importantly its not whored out; threads and bearing seats are rock solid. The 16 for the front would look awesome, but the cost for a strip and powder coat is a bit much. I'm still shopping it around, but probably going to get a spoked 16 for the front.

Totally roached chrome

Tires shot...big deal

Old 08-14-2024, 08:41 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

I didn't realize you replaced the front end with wide glide triples.. Very nice.. Also your going to live the cartridge suspension... I absolutely love mine . Ride on...

Old 08-15-2024, 04:13 PM
Trumpet
Road Captain

@98hotrodfatboy yeah, had a Tiwian 'lifetime' 41mm set of legs and knockoff accutronix wide glide trees. Unknown chrome caliper as well. So back to HD parts, bit mix and match. Much, much better handling and all the weird up front noises are gone. Added bonus the turn signal cancel works again after cleaning up the wiring.

I've got some rust removal and painting to do. Otherwise guess I'll build the motor this winter...just because.

Quick Reply: FXD dreams