EVO All Evo Model Discussion

FXD dreams

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 04:09 PM
Trumpet
Road Captain
Received 398 Likes on 250 Posts

@BelchFire , Things not seen were flushing the pans regularly with kerosene and lots of suction between steps. A borescope will aid with chip inspection in the pan. Plus coating the tap flutes with bearing grease will capture a lot of swarf as well.

I feel good about it, and we're bikers after all, we live dangerously by design !

Otherwise there will be the "I'm building a stroker" thread to follow this one up !

Last edited by Trumpet; 07-21-2022 at 04:10 PM. Reason: spelling.
The following 3 users liked this post by Trumpet:
BB.No8 (07-22-2022), BelchFire (07-21-2022), tar_snake (07-24-2023)
Old 07-21-2022, 08:14 PM
Trumpet
Road Captain

Decided to go with a integrated headlight turn signal unit for the front. I have a rivera primo on the sporty and like it enough. They're not made anymore so off to eagle lights, they're local, supposed to be a good unit. So we'll see.

Really dislike the size of stock signals on HD since the 80's. I'll figure out the rears later. I might replace the chrome struts while I'm on the rear end tidying up. Just need to find a solid deal on rear signals that are bright and tidy. The joker machine ones are tidy but aren't really bright at all.

Looking for tidy none too toxic ways to strip chrome, any suggestions?

Old 07-22-2022, 02:20 PM
Trumpet
Road Captain

Got to work on the front end today. New tire went flat, found the valve stem split and leaking air. Dropped it at a friends shop, too hot to manually **** with a mount/dismount today. That said now she's tore down for that, I went further and solved the improperly seated fork stems. Pinch bolts were missing and Po put enough miles on that the tubes had successfully unscrewed themselves a bit. Two turn on the right, and a quarter inch on the left .

A trip to the hardware store yielded two correct cap screws, added some loctite and Bobs yer uncle. Should have no more concerns there, I was puzzled, but it was a easy one once taken apart.

Ebay yielded a paper FSM, for short change, so I'll save on printer ink now.......yay

Mind the gap!

Last edited by Trumpet; 07-22-2022 at 05:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BelchFire (07-22-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 02:40 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,433 Likes on 3,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Trumpet
Got to work on the front end today. New tire went flat, found the valve stem split and leaking air. Dropped it at a friends shop, too hot to manually **** with a mount/dismount today. That said now she's tore down for that, I went further and solved the improperly seated fork stems. Pinch bolts were missing and Po put enough miles on that the tubes had successfully unscrewed themselves a bit. Two turn on the right, and a quarter inch on the left .

A trip to the hardware store yielded two correct cap screws, added some loctite and Bobs yer uncle. Should have no more concerns there, I was puzzled, but it was a easy one once taken apart.

Ebay yielded a paper FSM, for short change, so I'll save on printer ink now.......yay

I'm surprised you didn't have handling issues...
I like Commander II's, you really don't feel tar snakes... Unlike freakin Dunlop's...

Old 07-22-2022, 03:29 PM
Trumpet
Road Captain

@98hotrodfatboy , Put 300 yards on it and bought it. All I cared about was that the motor ran properly, and the trans shifts smoothly. I knew going it it needed sorting. My friend has a great habit of getting bikes for short, short change. I bought it from him after he bought it for near dirt. Even if I HATED the bike when I'm done, even with the parts I've spent on, there's meat on the bone.

Fun trying to pound some pavement while holding the enricher out so she wouldn't stall. I'll have to take the CV apart at some point and post some pics of it. I expect it to be totally grody man. Totally.

CII's are the bees knees. I have a set on my hot rod sporty, and 15k miles they're barely worn. Love 'em, great tire.

98hotrodfatboy (07-22-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 05:41 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts

Coming along nicely.

Trumpet (07-23-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 06:00 PM
Trumpet
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mountainkowboy
Coming along nicely.
Thanks man, best therapy around.

Old 07-23-2022, 03:17 PM
Trumpet
Road Captain

I know, you all are bored. Ah well...

Sanitized the front end a little. Got rid of the Dumbo ears, integrated headlight and signal unit. Easy peasy install, after rerouting some wiring. Added a plug and play LED integration unit as well. No screwing around with ballast resistors and other BS while waiting for the rear signals to come in...whenever they show up.

Few pics...

Tidying up, all signal wires and headlight pigtail. (pigtail by po)

Integrated ballast, worth the coin!

Sizing it up.

Ready to mount

Trim ring a little undersized, cut and install. I'll look for some at the next swapmeet. Maybe a whole nuther 5 3/4 bucket...who knows?

Old 07-23-2022, 03:33 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

The trim ring on my '02 Low Rider doesn't quite close up all the way either after I installed the LED bulb. (but its good enough for the guy that owns it )

Mine doesn't have an internal mount like yours seems to have though. The LED's are simply larger because those cooling fins stick out so much from the back. My outer trim ring holds the bulb in place in the bucket.

Last edited by Stiggy; 07-23-2022 at 03:38 PM.
Trumpet (07-23-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 03:33 PM
Trumpet
Road Captain

Oops, and what the finished [for now] front looks like !

Done for now.

Quick Reply: FXD dreams