EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Harley CV carb

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2022 | 07:33 AM
cycleman11
Tourer

I can confirm that the 1 1/4 out on the Eze Screw is right for my bike. I put on a little over 100 miles in the last couple of days, mixed riding, some city, 2 lane & 4 lane highway. Hot engine idling at traffic lights etc. Through out it ran good with no blubbering, back fire etc. Idle coming to a stop on multiple occasions stayed at a steady 1000 and was fairly smooth for an evo.

So on my stock bike, stock jetting 42/175, stock slide and sportster needle and adjusting the mixture screw for a good idle, at my altitude (2700 feet ), is the sweet spot set up for my bike. Gas mileage is still in the 50 + mpg range Canadian, so 40 + mpg US. Very happy with how it now runs.

The following 2 users liked this post by cycleman11:
Gordo-uk (09-08-2022), SparkyD (09-08-2022)
Old 09-26-2022 | 09:31 AM
cycleman11
Tourer

Well call me a liar I guess. The mixture screw on my bike is not a CVP one as the length of threads are different. It came with an aftermarket kit for this bike's carb. It works so that is all that matters to me, but that would explain any differences in turns out/in etc..

I got around to hooking up a carb vacuum gauge to the bike so I could get a visual of what was going on with the vacuum. I got the most vacuum at idle at 1 3/4 -2 turns out. So I tired 1 3/4 and it ran good, but took a little longer to start when cold ( more turns of the starter ). So I turned the mix screw out another 1/4 turn, to 2 turns out. Cold starts are a bit better. Engine runs really good at this setting as well and about all that has changed from the 1 1/4 setting, is that it's a bit easier to start when cold with the choke.

Was on a couple hundred mile ride on the weekend, speeds in the 100-112 kph ( 60-70 mph ) average 54 mpg Canadian gal, so about 44 US Gal. That seems pretty good to me.

On a side note I did install a small catch can inside the stock air cleaner cover and it just vents inside the cover. I just used a small pill bottle. So the can catches any liquids and lets the air escape. I've been a bit surprised at the amount of moisture it collects, but there is no oil. On the highway running for an hour or two, it collects very little moisture, but does collect a bit more when cold starts etc around the city.

Old 09-26-2022 | 01:05 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by cycleman11
Well call me a liar I guess. The mixture screw on my bike is not a CVP one as the length of threads are different. It came with an aftermarket kit for this bike's carb. It works so that is all that matters to me, but that would explain any differences in turns out/in etc..

I got around to hooking up a carb vacuum gauge to the bike so I could get a visual of what was going on with the vacuum. I got the most vacuum at idle at 1 3/4 -2 turns out. So I tired 1 3/4 and it ran good, but took a little longer to start when cold ( more turns of the starter ). So I turned the mix screw out another 1/4 turn, to 2 turns out. Cold starts are a bit better. Engine runs really good at this setting as well and about all that has changed from the 1 1/4 setting, is that it's a bit easier to start when cold with the choke.

Was on a couple hundred mile ride on the weekend, speeds in the 100-112 kph ( 60-70 mph ) average 54 mpg Canadian gal, so about 44 US Gal. That seems pretty good to me.

On a side note I did install a small catch can inside the stock air cleaner cover and it just vents inside the cover. I just used a small pill bottle. So the can catches any liquids and lets the air escape. I've been a bit surprised at the amount of moisture it collects, but there is no oil. On the highway running for an hour or two, it collects very little moisture, but does collect a bit more when cold starts etc around the city.
I have the CVP EZ Mixture Screw installed and I've used a black marker on the outside of the screw and counted how many revolutions from where I started.

Old 09-27-2022 | 07:22 AM
cycleman11
Tourer

I cut a groove in the bottom of my mixture screw and then painted the groove white, so with a small mirror its quite easy to see and adjust.